Should I give up?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SoupOrJuice

02-07-2013

Alright so, here's my deal. I've played almost 1700 normal games, and maybe 40 or so ranked games (not this season but all told). I've been playing League of Legends for approximately 2 years and 4 months. However, at this current moment I've been on the largest losing streak I've EVER been on, and it feels like I have no idea how to play anymore I just get rofl-stomped in laning phase the majority of the time. Currently have 10 more losses than wins, but when I first hit 30 I was like +50 or +60 wins.

Mostly I just play top and mid lane because those are the supposedly "easiest" roles in the game, but like I said, I just get stomped 7/10 times. I've watched countless streams and tournaments, read every guide for all the champions I enjoy playing (Top 5 would be Wukong, Nasus, Syndra, Ahri, and probably Annie or Veigar).

I know how to last hit and how to zone but I can't seem to do it effectively. Also, after laning phase and my lane mate is fed, 2 things happen. 1, I have no idea how to come back from that deficit. And 2, my teammates just start blaming everything on me, making it an incredibly frustrating and embarrassing experience, considering how much time I've spent playing LoL.

I've tried the other roles, with varying success. AD Carry I can farm pretty well but if the opponent is even REMOTELY aggressive I just get bullied out of lane, or even straight up killed multiple times. Support, I can poke pretty good I guess but I always seem to be way more squishy than my opponents. And jungling . . . well, let's just say maybe 1 in 15 ganks are successful when I jungle, and the enemy jungler is just counter-jungling and ganking left right and center, and I get blamed for doing poorly (as I should be).

So now, I'm just curious: If, after 2+ years, I haven't gotten any better, should I just stop now? Or is there something I might be missing? Anything you can think of that might make me a better player?

P.S. I've tried not playing, in the past 6 months I've uninstalled and stopped playing League 3 times for 2+ weeks each time, but every time I come back it's still the same old ****ty play.

Direw0lf

02-07-2013

No :)

Bronson012

02-08-2013

i tell you i have done the same thing twice just like you. Im no kind of pro and i don't consider my self an awesome player i gave up i really did. Nothing was going my way and it felt like everyone was taking there aggression out on my because i did something wrong. I re installed the game and picked up a few new champions i picked teemo,Gangplank,Miss fortune. it was a breath of fresh air i started just doing bot matches with the free champions each week and found a few i was good at. I think you should maybe try a few new champions i know you have been playing for a while so you have played a bunch of the champions just try and get warmed up on a bot match and get your feet wet on some pvp. I cant tell you i have been playing for years but i can tell you i do know how you feel. I watch streams and MLG tournaments and Twitch Broadcasts daily. Just don't give find you some friends and screw what other ppl say to you just enjoy yourself.

Kensai07

02-08-2013

Abuse the ignore button, I do when I'm doing well or doing poorly. Welcome to the community of a free game.

C4KE

02-08-2013

(WARNING: Pretty long, but it will be worth reading.)

Don't ever give up!!! You can always get better, and there is always more room for improvement. While it may be the teams you get, you also have to take responsibility. Even the pros make mistakes, though they just make less mistakes. So like I said, you can do better in every game you play, and every little bit counts.

You should also, try to keep positive, and try to keep your teammates positive.(By this I mean attitude.)
If you can keep your team positive, you have a higher chance of winning. Keep playing, you will eventually get out of your losing streak.

One way I personally got better was by watching a youtubers videos. You can find these here. www.youtube.com/user/gbay99. His videos helped me so much. I was also on a losing streak at the time, but after watching and following some of his advice, I was on a winning streak. Hope I helped.
-C4KE

Ensanitee

02-09-2013

I think you should play this game if you are having fun still. If you aren't, why are you still playing?

Just my two cents.

SeCKS Egai

02-09-2013

Don't think you should quit.

Might want to try this.

Setup custom games with the beginner bots - you can't make them jungle but you can still practice jungler with them all the same.

One thing the ai has over people is that they don't rage. See how you perform. If you aren't utterly destroying the AI, then you need to revisit your fundamentals.

Now, if the AI is a walk in the park, it could be that you're simply being outplayed by people (very possible if you get zoned out to any aggression) or that you've got a "mental block" of sorts from all your frustrating experiences.

But either way, when the pvp crowd gets frustrating, you never have to worry about the AI getting abrasive or cruel.

SoupOrJuice

02-09-2013

I had a rather long post earlier but was unable to reply at all, so here's a shortened version:

The ignore button might make me play better, but I usually start doing poorly BEFORE my teammates even say a word, but then I just spiral down after because of what they are saying.

I try to stay positive but it's difficult when you lose 90% of your lane phases, and don't understand how to come back from a deficit.

I do try to farm, but often even if I'm farming under turret I just get towerdove, so I basically can't farm at all. If I try roaming, I get ganked in the jungle because I don't have gold for wards. No idea what to do when those 2 things are happening (can't farm and can't gank for teammates in lane). Teammates won't group up because they want to stay in lane, basically forcing me to stay in base until a teamfight is about to go down at dragon/baron. Of course at that point I'm so far behind I just die instantly and do no damage so...yeah.

And yeah, I've seen all of gbay99's videos and while they help a little bit, I still have no idea how to locate my mistakes or learn from them, because I have no idea what they are.

As far as AI goes, I'm still able to absolutely trash the AI but that's more because I just play super-aggressive, and the AI has no idea how to handle it so they just run away and I kill them as they run. Do this like 5-10 times, and then I can just kill them in one rotation and the rest is history.

C4KE

02-10-2013

From what I saw on your profile from Lolking, I see that your ranked is not so good. I mean in the sense that you are playing too many varieties of champions. It's best to stick to one champion, or one role that you are especially good at. Of course, you won't always be able to do this, so you can also pick another role. Trying to play one champion in ranked is generally the best thing to do.
You also talked about teammates. Don't let them get to you. You are better than that. If they are mad, it means you aren't doing as well as you should be. Fix it while in game. The issues that I generally have when I do bad are because I am being to aggressive. One of my teammates will point this out, either in a nice way or a not so nice way, and I will adjust. Even if it offends me, that means that I know I'm doing not so well, and that I should correct myself.
The best way to come back from a deficit is to honestly never give up. If you start getting down, you are going to play more poorly, and will get killed more. Stop getting killed, focus on protecting towers and farming back up. If you can farm past your fed opponent, you are one step closer to shutting them down. In the middle stages of the game, I think 12-15 minions = a kill. So, if you can outfarm your opponents, you can have more gold. This isn't COD, you need to farm, as it is the most important source of gold in the game.
Another thing you can do is queue up with a friend. This can help you in a number of ways, and it actually makes your ratio of winning go up. You should make sure your friend is pretty good. Since you guys have probably played together, you know each others playstyles, and you can make some decisions based on this. If you don't have a friend to queue up with, make a friend! If you got dominated by somebody on the other team, and they were at least super nice, add them as a friend. If you can play a few games with them, maybe you can learn a few things.
Lastly, don't play aggressive. Farm your lane, play safe, poke sometimes, and if your opponent is out of position, kill him. Remember though, your opponent is human. They may know things you don't such as where their jungler is, some moves they have compared to yours. Sometimes people dive on other champions without realizing that the people they dive on are people too, and can react very well, or maybe not so well. They then may end up dying. Bottom line is, don't underestimate your opponent. They are human, and they obviously know how to play as well.
One more thing. WARD!!!! Wards save lives. I don't care how many times people say this. Ward! It doesn't matter what elo you are in, wards are essential for every stage of the game. I have been saved countless times by spenind 75 gold on a ward.
Hope I can help you out bro.

SoupOrJuice

02-10-2013

I will say that I know it's bad to play a variety of champs when you're not even that good with one. However I will also say that it's almost impossible to practice a specific champion or role because I'm always forced to fill whatever role is needed (and it's a different role most of the time), so I can never get the sense of how to play a specific role. Wish this wasn't true but it's just a part of the game (you're never guaranteed a lane, even though i know people that have like 500 ranked games with 1 champion in 1 lane, no idea how they get that lucky). Oh well, guess I have to deal or move on. But thanks for the tips, guys. C4KE especially, thank you.