Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A Nice Little Rant

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YeZombie

02-07-2013

So I'm an avid MOBA player. I really don't think too badly of any MOBA until I play it first-hand. Some examples include League of Legends, DOTA2, Heroes of Newerth, and Smite. Here's a problem I see with League.

The problem I have with League is that when you "shut down" someone in the game, it's technically not true.
In DOTA, when you kill someone they lose money based on a flat amount (based on level) and a % of the rest of the gold you have. (EX: when you have 1500, you lose 100 and then a % of 1400). What this insinuates is a genuine shut-down; the enemy player has to make really smart plays now, or continuously lose gold and not have the ability to change the game.

In League, when you "shut down" someone, it doesn't leave a big impact. Sure, sometimes you beat the enemy team super hard because you're 16/2/14 and every enemy is 1/5, but they don't lose gold. If they are allowed to farm enough, shut down players can actually OUTLEVEL and OUTFARM you.
When you kill someone, most people either recall right away or farm a bit more. Whatever you choose, the enemy is respawning. By the time you get back to lane, they're already there farming their butts off.

If your team is "shut down" and you make a comeback, the feeling of victory is just so satisfying. Play some DOTA, you'll understand after a while.

In HoN, you lose gold on death too, but only in Normal play. They have a Casual mode where you don't lose gold on death. I think League should implement this system.
"Normal" mode wouldn't let you lose money on death, and "Hardcore" mode would let you lose money on death. Or, in League terms, you could have a Normal queue, Hardcore Normal queue, and Hardcore Ranked queue. I just don't think Ranked games should allow teams to snowball even if they lost their lane hardcore (EX: Darius dunking everyone that's low in team-fights).
This type of game-play really encourages team-support (sticking together, roaming and team-fighting) rather than "farm your ass off and carry later" playstyle (which is why League tournaments don't see big teamfights until 15-20 minutes into the game).

Another issue is walking. In League, walking is a very big part of the game. You walk to lane, you walk around jungle, you walk to lanes to gank, ETC. This wastes a lot of time of the game. When I look around Ranked or Normal, people are just sitting in lanes farming, or the jungler isn't ganking well because they're killing that last wraith or wanting to get red buff.
This is why people take flash. It's good mobility and lets you get places faster/you can't get to without running around a huge terrain. People also take teleport so they can get to lane faster, but the cooldown on the freaking thing is like 3-4 minutes. Why?

Flash, in a general opinion between me and my DOTA friends, is just a nuisance. It's pretty much a "get out of jail FREE" card. If you messed up, you can fix it by flashing away. It really promotes mobile gameplay, and ruins champions like Rammus, Sion, Yorick, people who don't HAVE flash abilities (unless they take flash). It just creates very... Unappealing, unsatisfying, "*****" gameplay (if you will). Flash should be hard earned, and you deserve a teleport spell because you farmed it. In DOTA2, a blink dagger (2150 gold FLAT) is required to get a "Flash" in League terms. Imagine saving up all that gold in order to get a Flash (and you lose gold on death, mind you).

Flash and Teleport should just be reworked, or removed to promote more interesting gameplay. Don't think you can just walk into a teamfight and Flash out if things get rough. Make Teleport lower cooldown, lower cast time. It promotes interesting gameplay (People teleporting out of a sticky situation, people teleporting into lanes to gank, etc.) In DOTA and HoN they buy Teleport Scrolls (135 gold a piece, 60 sec CD per use) to teleport to friendly buildings in order to make quick plays, push a tower, teleport closer to an objective, ETC.

But enough of me ranting. I just want to make League a more interesting game than what it is now. Hate? Love? Comments are appreciated

Bellmaker33

02-07-2013

Most LoL players hate DoTA from what I've seen.

Losing gold upon death allows the killing team to snowball even harder, which is bad.

Not losing gold on death allows you a fighting chance.

This game, regardless of what people think, is actually balanced (to a high degree). LoL is the Chess of MOBAs. Most others are more like Checkers.

My 3.14x10^24 cents.

adc

02-07-2013

Quote:
Bellmaker33:
Most LoL players hate DoTA from what I've seen.

Losing gold upon death allows the killing team to snowball even harder, which is bad.

Not losing gold on death allows you a fighting chance.

This game, regardless of what people think, is actually balanced (to a high degree). LoL is the Chess of MOBAs. Most others are more like Checkers.

My 3.14x10^24 cents.

I don't get what you mean by checkers? Checkers is solved to a draw from the starting position with perfect play - DotA and other MOBAs are not (and only patzers go on about how checkers is an inferior game). They require far more skill because the require more mechanics, more game knowledge, and generally be better. There's a reason people call League babby's first MOBA.

That said, I do personally enjoy League better, and not only because it's easier (not that it isn't a very difficult game to be good at).

HeyThereDeLeila

02-07-2013

The whole point of losing gold upon death is making people not troll/feed the game IMO.

YeZombie

02-10-2013

bump

Volvagia oot

02-11-2013

I completely agree, and have felt this was a huge problem in league for a long time.

It comes to a point where you lets say if you are playing mid. You don't even go and gank the side lanes unless you are guarenteed a kill because farming is so much more important than kills. In DOTA ganks happen constantly because when you kill someone, they lose gold, setting them behind. It made the ganks worthwhile. Now league has become "Play a tanky dps, sit in lane and farm until you have a warmogs, and a sunfire cape, you are now unkillable, rush the enemy carry and kill them"

It really is getting to the point where it isn't even fun, because every game is the exact same. Riot said they wanted to let people be able to choose how they want to play. And the way LOL is now if you don't pick at least 2 tanky dps champions you lose the game.

YeZombie

02-15-2013

bump

FiRE MANiC

02-15-2013

I don't think that idea would fit into LoL as wel1 as it does in Dota.

BoozBear

02-15-2013

Lol is the moba version that wow is to mmorpg's.

Its to cater to alot of people aka "casuals"

Hardcore gameplay is defintly more hon/dota style.

You wont see a hardcore mode in lol tho cause that would split the community which they dont want. But ye alot of things are more casual in lol compared to hon and dota, making the slightest mistake in those games sets u back SO far, hence why there not so popular with the general public.

iCanTryToLift

02-15-2013

League is more of a "noob-friendly" game. It's easier to grasp the concept of the game other than DotA. I was a DotA player, quite good at it, but once I switched to League, I enjoyed not having to lose gold upon death, it makes you have a chance of winning if you accidently screwed up in the beginning.

You can see how League is a more "noob-friendly" game because of the hotkeys provided in the game. In DotA, every champ has their own hotkeys, until they went DotA2.