Yi's Speed

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wolfynsong

02-07-2013

This guy is pretty fast, yeah?

I probably wouldn't care, but it was that same old situation where I was mid against AP Yi, held my own just fine, but bot lane never warded and fed him up to 11/0... that probably wouldn't have been the end of the world either, but top also fed a Critplank and Fiddlesticks...

Anyway, while inevitably running from him I started noticing that Ahri's ultimate isn't enough to get away from him unless you use it over a wall (rather finicky business, that - for instance, you can ult over Blue team's blue golem walls, but you can't over on Purple side). His movespeed is so great when he ults that he outruns her dashes, and never leaves melee range while doing it.

Yet his ultimate lasts longer than hers too, and makes him immune to an entire category of CC (which has the unintended consequence of making Charm a really hilarious thing to hit him with). Oh, and it refreshes when he kills people, can't forget that bit.

Now granted, it doesn't really do damage per se, so it ought to be pretty nice in some other way, but still.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not asking for any buffs or nerfs, but doesn't this seem a bit wrong to anyone else? Ahri's entire game revolves around her ultimate and her burst mobility, yet it's not enough to outdo Yi's sustained movespeed. And even if he falls out of melee range, he's still got Alpha Strike.

Anyone else think this is a bit of a disparity?

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

So burst loses to sustained power if the burst doesn't altogether surpass it?

Not news at all. This has been the story ever since this conversation was held about burst mages vs DPSers.

Wolfynsong

02-07-2013

Burst versus sustained damage is one thing, but mobility? Especially given that sustained mobility cripples squishy champions who rely on mobility for positioning and escape.

EDIT: Not saying that's a bad thing per se, but we're talking about a best-in-class burst mobility ultimate here.

And really, it probably only bothered me because my team pretty much just let him hit me as much as he liked.

MSOEliteShrtStak

02-07-2013

I feel like he is a little too fast and mayb just taking out that it refreshes when he gets a kill would be enough but i dont know

Rawrful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

For the record, you can get over both sides Golem walls, you just need to do it in the right spot. The as Nidalee and Caitlyn, you can use your tiny dash to get over tons of walls, including Dragon and Baron. You just need to know where to jump from.

Wolfynsong

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrful View Post
For the record, you can get over both sides Golem walls, you just need to do it in the right spot. The as Nidalee and Caitlyn, you can use your tiny dash to get over tons of walls, including Dragon and Baron. You just need to know where to jump from.
But it's not consistent, at the least. Blue side you can get over from any point. Purple side, most of it fails.

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfynsong View Post
Anyway, while inevitably running from him I started noticing that Ahri's ultimate isn't enough to get away from him unless you use it over a wall (rather finicky business, that - for instance, you can ult over Blue team's blue golem walls, but you can't over on Purple side).
ulting over walls isnt all that hard. Also dont forget to charm him when oppourtune and dont just smash R on your key board over and over. Kite him a little if you can.

Quote:
His movespeed is so great when he ults that he outruns her dashes, and never leaves melee range while doing it.
this is false. I suspect you were panicking and maybe didnt see him alphastrike, in anycase he never should have been in melee range, charm and gtfo fast... or just kill him its not like fed yi builds MR often though he may have an hp advantage

Quote:
Yet his ultimate lasts longer than hers too, and makes him immune to an entire category of CC (which has the unintended consequence of making Charm a really hilarious thing to hit him with).
charm does not count as a slow for some reason. Ahri gets to break some of the rules of onspell abilities and stuff simply because she's ahri :P

Quote:
Oh, and it refreshes when he kills people, can't forget that bit.
thats why you don't let him kill you.

Quote:
Ahri's entire game revolves around her ultimate and her burst mobility, yet it's not enough to outdo Yi's sustained movespeed. And even if he falls out of melee range, he's still got Alpha Strike.
false, ahri's entire game isnt about her burst mobility. It is about her mobile burst. (ಠ_ಠ for explanation purpose I just made a new term DEAL WITH IT)

ahri moves...
ahri attacks...
ahri moves and attacks at the same time or roughly anyways.
ahri changes position fast and gets to somewhere advantagous, if there isnt somewhere like that nearby, if yi can catch and kill you without consequence then you were just out of position, the bane of a mobile champ.

A mobile champ doesnt have to be mobile per se. A mobile champ has to be capable of getting to the ideal position despite the odds for the typical champ. A mobile champ needs to be able to be on the move while casting. A mobile champ needs to have strong counterplay to champs that strive off making different positions disadvantagous like Orianna, nami, or karthus. A mobile champ can pack up and move wherever and be ready to do what they do anywhere. Champs like zyra, darius, nunu, or ryze need a nice setup (or alot of baddies) to do their thing. Now granted all of these champs can turn any teamfight into a nervewrecking standoff but that's not what ahri does, she's a mobile champ, she finds that little weakness few others could take advantage of.

Oh look, yi is running off to meditate now, nope you gon luv me b****!
viegar just blew his cage, assassin ahri suddenly appears and blows his **** away midcombo, where the **** did she even come from just now?
Think ahri cant chase and poke you at the same time? you thunk wrong
highlander? ahri still gon kite yo ****. granted she may just avoid you till later if youve got 11 kills.
bot lane isn't warding? ward for them. Whats the jungler gonna do catch you out of position? ryze would have to hold his position and ping for help, but ahri gets a new position cuz some gross jungler touched her old one and wasnt there to feed her.

When playing ahri against a fed enemy not only are you probably the most qualified to dunk them if you have a balanced team and the adc isnt fed, youve got an extremely powerful CC ability for an assassin to have. Ahri can actually manage to kill fed lategame vayne or kog often even if they have someone to protect them depending on who it is. If she herself is fed I doubt it would matter

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-08-2013

Quote:
But it's not consistent, at the least. Blue side you can get over from any point. Purple side, most of it fails.
they are about the same but its the angles you see the walls at. when on one side of a wall it will look like youre just as close as you are on the other side of the wall but theres some ground you cant see thats hidden by the wall.

catraven

02-08-2013

Who would counter Ahri's speed then? Someone has to be the best at something.

Joymus

02-08-2013

So he gets to run fast and ignore slows while slashing everyone in an awkward stance.

It doesn't get him too far in teamfights. One form of CC not working on a single champion doesn't mean the champion in question needs a nerf.