A little thanks to IronStylus

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
We all care about the champions we release, but I agree that IronStylus has a certain flair for hyping up the ones he's involved in. Nice job as usual, parrot.
IRON STYLUS FOR PRESIDENT. Tryndamere out, Stylus in.
Then he shall be involved with every champ in some way.

It fills my gaming heart with joy to see personality in a champ that seems...natural. I can see a 'counter assassin' writing on wanted posters and trying to determine how to attack Talon by studying him and everything he does and everyone he knows.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-07-2013
3 of 4 Riot Posts

I've thought about it a bit, and I'd like to say something about said thoughts!

I don't want thanks.

Why? Because this has nothing to do with me. What this is a direct result of is having an extremely talented and dedicated Creative Design team that works, quite literally often, around the clock to flesh out our universe. This is not an easy task, nor is it one that can be executed quickly. I don't want to speak for the Creative Design department but I will speak to lore and how dedicated they are to it.

Lore is not "dead", unlike some would say. Much like any artwork it can take a while for the right form of expression to be found. We've tried a lot in the past. Comics. Teasers. Written content. What should the medium be? Should we try to create a uniform approach to all champions to equalize expectations each time we release something? If so, how is the best way to universally address each release and piece of content? At the same time, how do we continue to build our universe and keep those avenues fresh? How do we build our world at all when we have so much evolving content and rapid release?

That is a monumental task. What I've done is one iota of that, and I did it with the blessing, support and dedication of Creative, who's job is much more complicated, delicate and grand.

I came to Creative with a very simple pitch and they had faith in me. THEY made this happen. Just because it's coming from my mouth at the moment doesn't mean I bear any special treatment or praise. I want you to know that they are the real craftsman of canon.

This little experiment isn't over yet so I can't go into much detail about the journal. But when this ride is over I'll break down some of the thought and process.

Stay tuned, more is coming. I'm doing what small things I can but never doubt for a minute there aren't a host of people, MUCH smarter than I, working diligently, with an attention to detail finer than any artist, to craft something amazing. Like League of Legends this will evolve. What's embryonic now will mature into something complex, rich and beautiful.

Sageoffire

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post

I don't want thanks.

Why? Because this has nothing to do with me. What this is a direct result of is having an extremely talented and dedicated Creative Design team that works, quite literally often, around the clock to flesh out our universe. This is not an easy task, nor is it one that can be executed quickly. I don't want to speak for the Creative Design department but I will speak to lore and how dedicated they are to it.

Lore is not "dead", unlike some would say. Much like any artwork it can take a while for the right form of expression to be found. We've tried a lot in the past. Comics. Teasers. Written content. What should the medium be? Should we try to create a uniform approach to all champions to equalize expectations each time we release something? If so, how is the best way to universally address each release and piece of content? At the same time, how do we continue to build our universe and keep those avenues fresh? How do we build our world at all when we have so much evolving content and rapid release?

That is a monumental task. What I've done is one iota of that, and I did it with the blessing, support and dedication of Creative, who's job is much more complicated, delicate and grand.

I came to Creative with a very simple pitch and they had faith in me. THEY made this happen. Just because it's coming from my mouth at the moment doesn't mean I bear any special treatment or praise. I want you to know that they are the real craftsman of canon.

This little experiment isn't over yet so I can't go into much detail about the journal. But when this ride is over I'll break down some of the thought and process.

Stay tuned, more is coming. I'm doing what small things I can but never doubt for a minute there aren't a host of people, MUCH smarter than I, working diligently, with an attention to detail finer than any artist, to craft something amazing. Like League of Legends this will evolve. What's embryonic now will mature into something complex, rich and beautiful.
Like it or not, you ARE the creative designs posterchild. and while you may not want the thanks, you certainly do deserve it. you dont have to tell us anything, you could be spending all your time behind the scenes working on stuff like everyone else. Pumping out good champions and cool content is a good thing, but without any sort of attachment to stuff, who cares.

I personally dont care at all about most champions that come out, unless they are support. and you had me hooked on Leona (presumably a tank, not support) and Diana (very much not a support). and now this new champion, that i know nothing about ... I WANT IT!

you choose to go out of your way to give the community something to latch onto before we even have any clue whats being worked on. and your reward for pushing for that kind of extra effort is our thanks.

Redeemed In Fire

02-07-2013

I just want to talk a bit about the counterpoint, which is we have to assume nothing is going on unless you show us it is. We've been saying the lore is dead because, to us, it is. This is the first I've seen of any substantial lore in close to 2 years. It just makes me sad that a few events where communication was improperly handled seems to have soured Riot as a whole on communicating beyond "here is what we just FINISHED what do you think".

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-07-2013
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
I just want to talk a bit about the counterpoint, which is we have to assume nothing is going on unless you show us it is. We've been saying the lore is dead because, to us, it is. This is the first I've seen of any substantial lore in close to 2 years. It just makes me sad that a few events where communication was improperly handled seems to have soured Riot as a whole on communicating beyond "here is what we just FINISHED what do you think".
No, you don't have to assume that, because the reality is that there is a massive IP that needs to be given order, meaning and substance. That's the reality whether you see it or not, you actually have to give us the benefit of the doubt because the reality is not what you are perceiving directly. You are not seeing this a herculean effort. This takes time.

Renekton Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

But if you would like me to get on with writing some more League erotica, just let me know.

Redeemed In Fire

02-07-2013

Quote:
No, you don't have to assume that, because the reality is that there is a massive IP that needs to be given order, meaning and substance. That's the reality whether you see it or not, you actually have to give us the benefit of the doubt because the reality is not what you are perceiving directly. You are not seeing this a herculean effort. This takes time.
Not to get into a no/yes/no/yes loop, but we have no other choice. All we see is a black box, and this black box occasionally spits out completed toys for us summoners, but with very very little evidence of its machinations up to the point the bell dings and we open whatever is deposited. Riot as a whole seems to refuse to divulge anything really, and knowing that you guys are "working on lore" is about as useful to us as "someday in the future, we are going to have teleportation". Cool. When? What avenues are you guys trying to explore to enable this technology? Maybe we could give some feedback on prototypes? Etc.

I absolutely understand that lore is a herculean effort, and intellectually I know you guys are working hard to bring us cool stuff. That doesn't make the disappointment of yet another champion with no lore other than a 2 paragraph life-story bio any weaker. All I want is ongoing communication about statuses whenever possible. It's not too much, and if a point was made to keep it ongoing then that would alleviate so many of the problems that were seen during events like Magma Chamber and the Stealth Rework.

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

02-08-2013

Quote:

I don't want thanks.

Thanks Creative Team. I have been trying to keep the Lore flag sailing since 2009.

Ryugi Kazamaru

02-08-2013

If not for the lore, I would never have continued to play LoL. The game in and of itself is just that to me. It's nothing special. It causes me a lot of headache at the worst times, and gives me some enjoyment with friends at the best. But, the lore that is connected to the game is the thing that draws my attention the most.

I LOVE this world and this universe. I want to see it grow, and I want more people to be able to see it and learn to love it as I have come to appreciate it.

The Creative Design team has, in my opinion, the single most epic and awesome job in the world, and not a day goes by where I don't envy what they get to do. Someday, I hope that I will be able to be a part of the universe they've created in some way by doing what they do. But until that day comes, I want to give my thanks to the Creative Design Team, and to our friends IronStylus, Runaan, and all the other faces that help to make the lore and characters of this game what it is.

Without all of your ability and creative minds, I seriously wouldn't be playing League.

So, thank you for all that you do, and all that we have yet to see.

Melancholy Exile

02-08-2013

Quote:

I don't want thanks.

While I can certainly understand that you don't want to be the centre of attention, and thereby take praise that you feel is more deserved by others, I'm still personally compelled to thank you especially. What I feel differentiates you from more than a few other Rioters is that you're often quite keen to peel back the curtain and tell us just what went into the design of the game we love. You not only show us a great deal of love for the product when you go to such great lengths to promote things, you also stick around afterwards and make an active effort to answer questions, fill in the blanks and provide a little more of your perspective. Quinn – if it’s safe to call her that – may owe a great deal to the creative department but I believe that, all things told, it’s going to be your effort and hard work that truly sells her.

Diana is a very special case for me because, while I always loved her design and the concept behind her, what actually made me buy into her were your dialogues about the thought process behind her and her ideals. Looking back on my original write-up, my first reaction to Diana’s lore was extremely negative. Indeed, my literal response was:

Quote:
Diana’s lore is a fine example of the poor state Riot’s lore department is currently in. It does precious little to expand on what we already knew about the Solari, much less to define their mirror organisation, and leaves Diana’s own motivations completely ambiguous. We barely know more about her than we did before reading the release.
I think that response was largely fuelled by the sheer level of expectation you'd managed to build in me through the discussions you had shared in about her influences, morals and beliefs. My expectations would've been far lower without those and my overall disappointment far less pronounced.

But this is just it:

What eventually turned me around was when you actually clarified why she joined the League and went on to give an approximation of just how she and Leona had been led to oppose one-another. You sold me on her in the first place, then you later went on to win me over when my interest faltered and pushed me into the territory where I wasn’t afraid to call her one of my favourite characters. I look at the character bios we’ve seen recently, and most particularly the reasoning we were given for no longer explaining why characters joined the League, and it makes me realise just how powerful and important what you do truly is. Rather than simply presenting a character and leaving them be, you actually make a point of helping us understand just why we should care.

I’m sorry if you feel a little uncomfortable about being thanked in this manner, and being the focus of attention where others deserve the same, but I still think you deserve a great deal of credit. At a time when people are all too keen to call the lore ‘dead’, the sort of thing you’re fronting here is exactly what we need to get people galvanised again.

It’s great to see and I can't thank you, and everyone else behind your words, enough for it.