Advanced Techniques/Micro?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

yugdaBretsiM

02-07-2013

Hi all.

I haven't been playing for long, but I read a lot of guides and try to keep up on all of the little things in this game that separate good players from mediocre ones. Basically, as a long time competitive gamer, whenever I get into a new game, I try to master high end gameplay mechanics as I learn the game itself, so that I don't have to change what I'm doing later on, preventing me from "learning wrong."

As far as this post is concerned, I'm looking more for things that require execution or micro management that work on a universal level (not limited to one champion, but function across the game at large, or are common to a group of champions with similar abilities.) At the moment, the only ones I really know about are stutter stepping and auto-attack reseting, both of which I can do with a good degree of success. Are there any other trick like this that I may want to look into or learn how to do?

wHiSkErTeMx73744

02-07-2013

Get in the habit of using A+Click when chasing targets in a bush. Too many times I see a teammate trying to finish off a 50 health target only to get juked in the bush. A+Click is attack-move, I'm sure you know what that means.

yugdaBretsiM

02-07-2013

Yes, someone told me that it's a lot easier to last hit by A+clicking as well, though to be honest, I don't do it nearly enough. My main champs right now are Annie and Cait, who both have a huge auto-attack range, so it's pretty easy for me to get lazy. I suppose I should get in the habit though...

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

02-07-2013

I honestly don't like A+click to last hit, more often than not I'll end up auto attacking something else if I miss, and if I miss normally I can stop fast enough...

Jolty

02-07-2013

For last hitting I usually just right click. Seems like an easier transition while spamming movement with right clicks. Alternately, you can press S to stand still and stop auto-attacking until you make your next command. This may be easier for last hitting, although you will be sitting ducks unless you have good reaction time.

TehomCD

02-07-2013

Other things you can learn - you can fizzle a lot of non-channeled enemy spells by breaking vision (going into a bush, around a corner, or flashing/dashing through a wall), or going untargettable (via zhonya's hourglass, for example) during their cast animation. This won't put their spell on cooldown so they could recast it if they reacquire vision, but it can let you survive a lot of things you otherwise wouldn't. This doesn't work on everything, but the rule of thumb is if they're champion is starting to do an animation but hasn't thrown anything at you, you can fizzle it.

You can learn exactly which walls you can flash through, and how to ward through walls. The mechanics rule is that if you cast an ability more than halfway through a wall, you'll appear on the other side. So if you learn the exact distances of blink abilities, you can start to learn which walls you can go through and which you can't. You can also learn which spots you can put wards in walls to have them appear in brush on the other side, potentially saving you from dying by getting close to brush that might have one or more enemy players in it.

Controlling the creep line is something I struggle with better players are masters at - knowing exactly where the minion waves will meet based on how much life every creep has, and how they'll reposition based on aggro when trading, etc.

yugdaBretsiM

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehomCD View Post
Other things you can learn - you can fizzle a lot of non-channeled enemy spells by breaking vision (going into a bush, around a corner, or flashing/dashing through a wall), or going untargettable (via zhonya's hourglass, for example) during their cast animation. This won't put their spell on cooldown so they could recast it if they reacquire vision, but it can let you survive a lot of things you otherwise wouldn't. This doesn't work on everything, but the rule of thumb is if they're champion is starting to do an animation but hasn't thrown anything at you, you can fizzle it.
So this works on most non-skillshots I'm assuming? If so that's a very good thing to know!

Quote:
You can learn exactly which walls you can flash through, and how to ward through walls. The mechanics rule is that if you cast an ability more than halfway through a wall, you'll appear on the other side. So if you learn the exact distances of blink abilities, you can start to learn which walls you can go through and which you can't. You can also learn which spots you can put wards in walls to have them appear in brush on the other side, potentially saving you from dying by getting close to brush that might have one or more enemy players in it.
The only "glitch ward" location I know of is in bot lane, the bush in the river that you can ward from above by clicking on the tree there. It's pretty useful on occasion. If there are any more that are frequently used it would be nice to know about, especially since I play a lot of support.

I'll not discuss my flashing prowess (or lack thereof) at length here, but long story short, I need to put in a few more bot games as far as this sort of thing goes.

Quote:
Controlling the creep line is something I struggle with better players are masters at - knowing exactly where the minion waves will meet based on how much life every creep has, and how they'll reposition based on aggro when trading, etc.
This just seems like something that becomes second nature as time progresses to me, but it's one of those traits that seems to mark a good player. I have a lot of problems with keeping my minion wave neutral as well, even when I'm not particularly trying to push.

Great responses so far guys! This is good stuff. XD

TehomCD

02-07-2013

Different locations for "glitch warding" are through the bottom side of the dragon den, kind of targeting the tip of the sign, to ward into that bush through the wall, blue side toplane and purple side bot lane, warding into that bush either through the lane wall or from above, and from mid warding into jungle brush that's the area adjacent to midlane and opposite to blue golem - the bush you would be entering if you flashed directly through the golem wall.

If you can find it on reddit, a high Elo support player named Spellsy made a powerpoint presentation that gave exact visual locations on a lot of those spots and other stuff. Another example of a micro thing is how to kill doublegolem when you're support/adc blue side with taking minimal damage, which I find surprisingly tricky.

As far as fizzling spells goes, the crucial point is that if they're sending a projectile at you, you can't fizzle it - the only way to avoid it at that point is to go untargettable/invulnerable, like with Zhonya's hourglass or the like. But for example, if Darius is doing his animation and jumping up to kill you with his ult, suddenly going stealth (like Wukong, Akali, Kha'zix, or Shaco) will fizzle it and save you. His ult won't be on cooldown so he can do it immediately again if you go visible, but something like that can be a crucial save that can result in a lot of 'wtf' in all chat.

Kuryaka

02-07-2013

Melee-range targeted spells are annoying like that. I've missed a Cho ult because someone ran into a bush.

Hah. You should see my flash fails. To note: Tried to Flash over a wall as Udyr. Ended up behind where I started. Same thing with Kennen.

Trick flashes and ward placing in short: If the object is placed in a wall, it will be ejected out the closest wall. Not entirely sure about distance, and as far as I know it only works with wards or blink spells (Ezreal E, Kassadin R, Shaco Q, etc). Basically, as long as you're more than halfway over you'll go over.

Dash optimization: Main champions who do this are Nidalee and Renekton, though I think it is also useful on anyone with short-range dashes.
Autopathing won't get you that close to the wall. Not sure if I'm just really bad at clicking, but being able to maneuver your champion up to the edge of a wall is good. You can hop walls with short dashes more effectively. Renekton can dash through certain parts of the wall in each base on Summoner's Rift, as well as part of blue buff wall and the wall between river and wraith camp. Nidalee can hop over the little ledges with her jump.

A minor "trick" I saw was the TF ult bait. Can't find the video, but essentially TF canceled his ult (aimed into the middle of the enemy team) with Zhonya's at the last second, causing the enemy team to blow their spells expecting a kill without putting him in the middle of the enemy team. Not mechanically complicated, but the mind games.