Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Are afk/leaver bans fair?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaceRoll13

02-07-2013

It is unfair to the people left behind.

The person who leaves should get a double loss, and forfeit any win.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

02-07-2013

The exact details on the system are a bit nebulous, as Riot hasn't released them. (Doing so would allow players to at least attempt to game the system, trying to leave as many games as possible without getting punished. Now even if most attempts failed, it would still result in more leaving because players _thought_ it would be fine, and then it would result in 'wtf did I get banned for, I only left X times...')

However, in short:

• Returning to a game is better than not doing so.
  • Not afking/leaving in the first place is better than doing so.
  • You can still be punished even if you are never marked as a leaver if you afk enough.

Tipsy Teacup

02-08-2013

If it was leaving once that got you banned it would be unfair, but it takes multiple times. Sometimes RL issues will occur and you will have to leave or get dced and it sucks for you and your team, but so long as these arn't regular occurances you won't get banned.

lmmortality

02-08-2013

Quote:
Darkrulerjoe:
I have a small question about Leaver Buster. If you get disconnected (can be by anyway) but you get back into the game like within maybe 5 minutes, does it still count as a "Leaved Game" on your end? There's times when its at the loading screen (the screen that shows who your facing) and some times my LoL would get stuck so I'd have to close LoL and reconnect and usually get in before the minions just spawn so at most 2 minutes into the game...I'm just making sure stuff like that is not being counted against me. It doesn't happen often, but it'll do it on random times on random games and just wanted to make sure.

If that technically doesn't count then I'd be ok with Leaver Buster since it is really fair and it's unlikely that you'd get perma Banned if the only times you leave were by Emergency, or League Mess ups.

No, it doesn't as long as you return to the game.

Hiryuu16

02-08-2013

Quote:
Darkrulerjoe:
I have a small question about Leaver Buster. If you get disconnected (can be by anyway) but you get back into the game like within maybe 5 minutes, does it still count as a "Leaved Game" on your end? There's times when its at the loading screen (the screen that shows who your facing) and some times my LoL would get stuck so I'd have to close LoL

As Immortal said, if you get back in quickly, it's fine. If your name is red at the post-game, you were LeaverBusted. If your client crashes more than, say, once every hundred games, you may want to run MemTest86 or similar to look for hardware issues.

TrueSkillz

Recruiter

02-08-2013

If im going to play a game of league i make sure i have at least 45min to finish the game. In most cases if i really have to leave and we are on the losing side of the game and the game is not going to end in the next 5-10 min and i absolutely have to leave I let my team know i need to leave and ask if they will surrender. most cases they will because they dont want to waste their time.

Skyhawke

02-08-2013

Imagine if you were playing a 5 on 5 basketball game (structured game with referrees and not a simple pickup game) and bailed on your team--that creates an unfun and unfair disadvantage. Of course real life situations will come up every once in a while, but the LeaverBuster accounts for those rare occasions.

Interceptor09

02-08-2013

Quote:
FABULISH:
In my opinion I feel that leaver bans are really not fair. I can understand why they make it so strict with the banning if you leave or go afk during a game but sometimes when i'm in the middle of a game I have to leave for a legitimate reason other than rage quitting and it sucks having to get banned. LoL is such a time consuming game and that leaves a large time window where you might have to leave for a certain reason and you cant stay on-line. in conclusion I understand why they have the super strict leaver ban to stop people from leaving but is it really worth the frustration of being banned/suspended for 3 days or permanently?

the self-centered point of view displayed by op is disturbing. he was really unable to consider the impact of his actions on the other 9 people in the game - until the 3rd or 4th post pointed it out to him.

thats scary op, you might want to take a moment and analyze your approach to life.

Hand Bananá

02-08-2013

Quote:
FABULISH:
In my opinion I feel that leaver bans are really not fair. I can understand why they make it so strict with the banning if you leave or go afk during a game but sometimes when i'm in the middle of a game I have to leave for a legitimate reason other than rage quitting and it sucks having to get banned. LoL is such a time consuming game and that leaves a large time window where you might have to leave for a certain reason and you cant stay on-line. in conclusion I understand why they have the super strict leaver ban to stop people from leaving but is it really worth the frustration of being banned/suspended for 3 days or permanently?

If you don't know for sure you have an hour of free time then don't start a game. It's simple. If you do, you waste 9 other peoples time and because of that you deserve a ban.

Quote:
FABULISH:
but sometimes you don't know that you have to leave, or it could be an emergency or last minute thing you HAVE to do.

This does not happen to a reasonable person enough that you would get banned.