Are afk/leaver bans fair?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

02-07-2013

In my opinion I feel that leaver bans are really not fair. I can understand why they make it so strict with the banning if you leave or go afk during a game but sometimes when i'm in the middle of a game I have to leave for a legitimate reason other than rage quitting and it sucks having to get banned. LoL is such a time consuming game and that leaves a large time window where you might have to leave for a certain reason and you cant stay on-line. in conclusion I understand why they have the super strict leaver ban to stop people from leaving but is it really worth the frustration of being banned/suspended for 3 days or permanently?

Mavnas

02-07-2013

You know how much it sucks wasting 30 mins of your time playing a 4v5 where you just can't win? You've just done that to 4 people when you leave, no matter what the reason. Heck, I don't even like being on the 5 side of those because the win just doesn't feel satisfying when I know we had such a big free advantage.

If you find yourself often having to leave mid-game, you really should be able to predict that that's a thing that's going to happen.

02-07-2013

but sometimes you don't know that you have to leave, or it could be an emergency or last minute thing you HAVE to do. you do bring up a good point though

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

02-07-2013

There is something I like to ask people who are unsure about the strict nature of Leaver Buster. I'll explain the question later, but what percentage of games would you consider it 'okay' to leave?

Whales96

02-07-2013

You only get banned for leaving multiple times in an 8 hour period.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

If you cannot plan your time such that you can play interruption free, this is probably not the game for you.

I understand emergencies or technical issues, but these should be the exception, not the rule. To provide a personal example, I have played probably 1500+ games of League of Legends.

I have only a single leave in all that time, and that was due to a blue screen of death, followed by windows refusing to restart without several scans and checks that delayed me to the point that the game was over by the time I got back.

Even in that case, my entire goal for the period of downtime was to get back in and rejoin the game. I didn't just walk away and say "**** it"... I did everything I could to return to my team before it was too late.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whales96 View Post
You only get banned for leaving multiple times in an 8 hour period.
This is completely untrue, please try to refrain from promoting incorrect information.

Boushiya

02-07-2013

AFK's should probably get reported if they are constantly AFK (I.E., more than a minute throughout the entire game).

As for leavers, the problem is you don't always know WHY they left. If they purposely leave, then report. If they say something came up and they just can't stay, then it's up to his/her team on whether they want to report them or not. If their internet goes out unexpectedly, then I don't really think that constitutes a report as long as it isn't constantly happening in their games.

Simply put; you shouldn't be playing a game where your team relies on you if you know you won't be around the entire game.

I know in DotA for Warcraft III, teams with leavers got an increase in gold to help support them being down however many players. You couldn't really avoid this seeing as leaving was an issue on that platform, but at the same time, it led to massive snowballing for the team that got more gold.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

02-07-2013

You may feel that Leaverbuster is too strict, but I assure you that there are many people who feel that it should be much more strict, with leaver penalties that are much harsher, happen sooner, and fade more slowly with time. Losing a game because a player on your team left (or never connected) can be a very frustrating experience.

Dark Nephthys

02-07-2013

I have a small question about Leaver Buster. If you get disconnected (can be by anyway) but you get back into the game like within maybe 5 minutes, does it still count as a "Leaved Game" on your end? There's times when its at the loading screen (the screen that shows who your facing) and some times my LoL would get stuck so I'd have to close LoL and reconnect and usually get in before the minions just spawn so at most 2 minutes into the game...I'm just making sure stuff like that is not being counted against me. It doesn't happen often, but it'll do it on random times on random games and just wanted to make sure.

If that technically doesn't count then I'd be ok with Leaver Buster since it is really fair and it's unlikely that you'd get perma Banned if the only times you leave were by Emergency, or League Mess ups.