Vi - which lane?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gnalde

02-07-2013

Hey guys

So.. I'm having an interest in taking up Vi for solo queue. I am hearing different things about where it's best to play her.

So what do you guys recommend - jungle or top? Preferably with reasons!

Crazy Crann

02-07-2013

Both are vi-able, but I find her most useful coming out of the jungle.

Up top, Vi is a slightly sub-par bruiser, because she doesn't have as much utility in her kit as a Kayle, the poke of Jayce, the sustain or snowball potential of Irelia, or the execute that Darius has.

In the jungle, she possesses strong clear times, early gank potential (I usually go for my first as early as level 3), and solid ganks after 6 when she gains the lockdown on her ult. She also contributes more to teamfights than other jungles might, by being able to act as a peel, bruiser/ADC, or even outright tank depending on how you build her up.

NefariousNomad

02-07-2013

What about mid?
Kha, Talon, zed, etc go mid. Why not Vi?

Sean B

02-07-2013

With Vi I would go top.

M3GaL0d0n

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Crann View Post
Both are vi-able, but I find her most useful coming out of the jungle.
I SEE WUT YEW DID THAR HURHURHUR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousNomad View Post
What about mid?
Kha, Talon, zed, etc go mid. Why not Vi?
Kha'zix = Assassin; High Burst and Poke Ability
Talon = Assassin; High Burst and Poke Ability
Zed = Assassin; High Burst and Poke Ability
Vi = Bruiser; High Sustain and DPS

One of these is not like the other... Can you figure out which one?

Uhg... Anyways :P

No seriously, Vi can handle both roles very well. In the jungle her high clear speed and utility while ganking are both excellent. In top, her high damage, shield, and chasing ability make her a very tough bully who is difficult to handle while still being difficult to gank. I prefer jungle just because I hate last-hitting, I think it's terribly boring. But I've had to play her in top a few times and she's very good at bullying, certainly not the best, but I was still impressed. So now we know that both are viable, now which one is better?

The one you like more...

Pretty much all you need to know is which one you're more comfortable with. I hate last hitting, so I play Singed or Malzahar in lane, these are unique champions that skew or easily handle the laning meta early on. I don't play any other champions that rely on good match ups or conventional farming, some say this is bad, I still hate last hitting. If you do like last hitting, you can play Vi well against certain champions, but you need to watch your match ups. Anti-melee champs like Jax, Darius or Riven will trash you during a trade, their disables are stronger, as well as their burst damage. Avoid these match-ups whenever possible. Other Bullies are on equal ground with you and you will see a lot of 3 hp getaways during duels. Tough AP mages such as Rumble or Vladimir are much weaker against you because they usually cannot match your DPS with burst, they also lack strong getaways. Assassins are your strong point, your sustain and shield with cripple their burst early on, and your DPS and chasing will allow you to punish them after they engage you. If you play Vi in top, you need to manage your ability to engage enemies with your ability to duel with them. Watch your match ups and play safe until you know you have an advantage.

Jungling you need to watch your timing and look for good opportunities to gank. Pretty standard issue stuff, if you want help with jungling in general, ask around, you'll find stuff. Balancing damage and durability and playing with your team are crucial, as well as making sure you transition into a tank/bruiser for initiating or anti-carry for tearing up the back-lines appropriately in mid game.

NefariousNomad

02-08-2013

I heard being a ***** on the internet is cool.

Owl Be Back

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

heres a good example of why you should take vi in the jungle.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...7#post34275597

Cenerae

02-08-2013

If you really have to lane Vi, put her in whatever lane is going to have the most abuseable champ for her kit. That is, someone lacking mobility and ways to keep you off them. I've laned Vi vs Udyr top before and it was an easy win (she just punches through his turtle shield like it's not there, and easily outbursts his tiger stance procs). Trying to tackle someone like Garen or Jayce would be painful for you though.

M3GaL0d0n

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousNomad View Post
I heard being a ***** on the internet is cool.
Haha, oh thats fun.

Sorry bud, no offense at all, this is just something that comes up a lot. I get a little tired of having to repeat it, its okay, but I've got to have some fun every once in a while. Bruisers never go mid, its never been in the meta, its not going to be in the meta. The exception is bruisers who are strong initiators, such as Jarvan IV, Gragas and Malphite, but these are not usually good picks, they're highly situational. However, these champions are very flexible and they can handle a wide variety of roles depending on their builds. If the enemy mid lane is melee as well, you may see other bruisers go into mid to counter (Riven vs Fizz or AP Maokai vs Rumble). But regardless, Vi is not one of these champions, her dash is far to predictable and versus a strong ranged caster, she'll be toast. Assassins on the other hand are extremely versatile, using their burst to full effect when dealing with mages who are squishy early on. The can also trade extremely well with ranged poke or powerful disables which make it difficult for the enemy to retaliate.

That is why you never see Vi in mid. She cannot bully enemies she cannot get into melee with, and she cannot avoid being kited if her dash is down.

ChiefClive

02-08-2013

Or you know, you could run Vi in mid for about 20 games and get back to us to see how that worked out for ya.