normal to ranked transition

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

the black mike

02-07-2013

Hello, I have only been playing league for about four months, and as we all know the ranked season has started. I have begun playing and I made it out of my initial rank spot and got placed into the bronze tier II. My problem is I am struggling with the higher ranked people then I'm used to. I really do enjoy the challenge, but this being a team game I tend to upset people by my level of play. I do go into normal blind pick/draft pick to get better, but the things that I do In ranked that don't work usually work in normal games and I don't feel as if it helps me learn what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have any ideas how to make yourself better? Thanks for your time.

MadTenuki

02-07-2013

Everyone has bad streaks, looking at your recent matches on lolking though, you're dying too often.

Looking at your runes and masteries: Runes, you pretty much need the armor/mr setup you have on every rune page, not just your active one. Your other ones that don't have magic resist, means their ap is practically doing pure damage on you, and you're mainly playing support, so you're basically getting melted. Masteries: I think you should focus more on the defense tree for now, get the veteran's scars, etc. You need the extra health since you're feeding practically every game.

Which leads to the other thing, your positioning must not be great if you're dying as often as you are. You either need more wards and better map awareness so you can avoid ganks more often, or you're positioning yourself poorly in lane. Try to get a better feel of when to engage and when not to.

I'd even recommend buying health crystal sooner. It might not be the most efficient path but probably second item for you after philo stone should be health crystal, you need to stay alive more.

And your ap mid where you went void staff first item ... check some guides out. Get a doran's ring or something.

Once you get better you can build more optimally but for now buy health while you're learning to position yourself better.

alaskaneagle

02-07-2013

I've been playing a year and know quite a lot about the game and I am now very much ready to play ranked. Unfortunatly it's filled with idiots who are NOT ready to play ranked and trolls.

There is a lot more to this game than be in lane and run into team fights. Learn before you go to ranked or you are just another idiot or troll.

Last hitting

the different roles of champions

when it's in your favore to harass in lane when it's not

when it's in your favore to team fight when it's best to back out

where to ward

who should ward

priority of objectives

when to/when not to take objectives

what it means to counter pick a champ and why

which roles suite your playstyle which don't

have 3 roles you do well and be able to passable do the others

jungle routes

Baiting

how to ambush and aviod ambushes

specific parts of the job you do as the role you picked

ONCE you get all that make sure you can play your champs well enough to not feed and be an asset to the team.

the black mike

02-07-2013

One large problem I have in support play is the post lane warding; I understand the main points to ward are dragon,baron,both reds, and both blues, but when ever I attempt to ward the map on my own I get eaten by opponents who are together.

TehomCD

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by the black mike View Post
One large problem I have in support play is the post lane warding; I understand the main points to ward are dragon,baron,both reds, and both blues, but when ever I attempt to ward the map on my own I get eaten by opponents who are together.
You just have to ward the safest places you can reach, and ward opportunistically when you see the enemy team on the map. You'll want to get in the habit of warding through walls, or sort of placing wards as stepping stones and moving them out as you start to keep track of where the enemy team is.

Sightstone is pretty amazing mostly because the number of wards it gives you really allows for you to transition them this way: you can keep a pink ward at areas that are likely to be warded by the enemy, and just move sightstone wards to wherever the next major objective will be (covering approaches to a lane you'll push, around baron if that'll be contested, near dragon if that'll come up, etc).