LoL Market? Create and Trade your own SKINS!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AIodia

02-07-2013

What if League of Legends had its own Marketplace, where anyone can create content (custom skins, particle effects, animation, maps, shadows?, etc.) and trade it with everyone else!

You could spend IP/RP to purchase awesome custom champion designs and all the crazy goodies you people come up with!

how does Riot benefit?
MORE LOL CRAZE! aka expand the openness and vibrancy of the League community, which is what makes LoL work in the first place...
(also Riot gets more RP purchases , and can relax a bit on pumping out so many 'official skins', let the community do it! we LOVE and we DO it anyways! as championed by the Summoner's showcase.)

Although LoL isn't exactly a 'platform' like Steam, it is definitely Doable,
maybe something on these lines:
~ LoL Skin maker software for the public, comes with all the animation/particle fx tools (or recommend available ones like 3ds max)
~ a new 'Fan Creation' tab in the store, where players can vote for the top 100 custom creations, each week/month and the top ones gets to be featured
~ and also each player gets to have their own store with their own creations up for sale / trade
~ Riot can charge a small fee per transaction or better yet... none!
~ and once purchased, the custom creations are instantly available in Champion Select

inspired by this article:
http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/07/gab...broad-economy/

~thanks for reading!

~please add your thoughts below!

AIodia

02-08-2013

like srsly i'd buy a loooot more riven skins if they had any good ones, redeemed and crimson elite is ... ****ty, i bet any fan created ones would be lots better and i'd totally buy from them.

Extoll

02-08-2013

problem would be to many skins to download....less say 100 people make 1 skin a day so that's 100 skins. now you buy a skin for champ X. you want everyone else to see it right??? so now everyone had to dl the 100 skins made that day...just think about the dl times and the space it take up on your computer..not alone the servers...cool idea...not doable

AIodia

02-08-2013

its doable because the stuff you create are only stored on YOUR computer, not on Riot's servers. Riot just feature the highest up-voted ones, so they only host 'images' not the actual files, which is shared only between the creator and whoever wants it.

Crunchez

02-08-2013

While the idea is good they will never do it.... Too hard to handle for a free to play game and I dont blame them... They could let peoples creates skins and pick the best ones rework them a bit if they wish and have the artwork signed in the bottom right corner with the name of the summoner who made it... Maybe once a month? my 2 cents nway (of course letting the summoner having it for free duh) while others would have to pay maybe a bit less than a regular skin for it?

Extoll

02-08-2013

have fun keeping YOUR computer on 24/7 someone can buy a skin from you....

AIodia

02-08-2013

and by the way, do you know how the community created 'skin installer' works? it is Client Sided, only you get to see the effects, not every single player on LoL servers. same thing here, all custom created entities are client sided, not server sided.

Extoll

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIodia View Post
and by the way, do you know how the community created 'skin installer' works? it is Client Sided, only you get to see the effects, not every single player on LoL servers. same thing here, all custom created entities are client sided, not server sided.

then no point use the free skin thngie...i am not going to speed any money on a skin i can only see...when i can do it for free

AIodia

02-08-2013

and to solve the problem of keeping your computer on 24/7, lets say Riot does keep a database of all the custom created content, the extra costs could be paid by the creators, like you'd have to pay a small one time fee of 5-10$ to have access to your 'store', this could be a premium feature...

ShawnDempsey

02-08-2013

Policing submissions for vulgar/offensive submissions, avoiding copyright infringements, making sure the skin "reads" in game, providing data storage and transmission on their servers and you want them not to get any money for it?
That alone means you haven't thought this through, let alone the fact that now everyone has to download 100's of different skins.