Need LoL Advice for Possible New Player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1ee2fb8f625452

02-07-2013

Hey All,

I am brand new to this game, and I have a few questions for advice. I have played around 2000 hours of Heroes of Newerth, which I like very much and am pretty good at it. My best friend comes over my house and plays LoL and he's starting to like playing that. He said I should try it out and see if I like it. I have a few questions or topics hopefully you will all help answer.

Speed Style:

In HoN, I really like the speed since it's very fast paced, and I'm always looking to get a kill before the game timer actually starts. I enjoy the Battlefield 3 pace since it's fast paced chaos. From what my friend tells me, LoL is a lot slower paced compared to HoN. There's more time spent in lanes than ganking or killing than in HoN. Is this true?

Hero Balance:

In HoN, almost all of the heroes are balanced except for around 1. No hero is completely OP, but she is a little strong. My friend says that a good bit of the heroes in LoL are unbalanced and need to be fixed, some rather badly. Is this true?

Matchmaking:

In HoN, I get stuck with the worst possible teammates in almost every game, AKA not matched with my skill level at all plus it seems that there's an odd high number of Brazilians... Even if I do extremely well, the rest of my team is terrible, and I will lose. My friend says that his teams in LoL are often the same in that you get terrible teammates that are not around your skill level. I've seen many games that he's played, in which he does really well, but his team sucks. Is this true or is the MM system pretty good?

LoL Community:

In HoN, the community, I will admit is muy terrible, especially to new players, which is a huge barrier to entry besides the terrible "tutorial" they have. Everyone rages over chat or mics and is very bossy. They get very annoying especially when they are talking to me, a veteran player always telling me what to do when they are absolutely terrible. How is the community of LoL? Are they more welcoming to new players such as myself, or are there many ragers and/or smurfs? From what my friend says/does, there are many smurfs.

Pay-to-Win:

One thing I love about HoN, is that sure it's free-to-play, but none of the items in the store give anyone an advantage over another. For example, if two new HoN players start playing, and one player spends $100 on in-game items and the other spends nothing, they both have equal chances of winning. You can't buy advantages. However, I have heard that in LoL in that same situation, the person starting with $100 has an advantage over the free player because they would buy better champions or runes. I don't like the fact that putting money into the game gives you advantages. Is this true for LoL?

I think that's all the questions I have so far. If you are going to reply, please give me straight answers. I have no need for LoL/HoN fanboy answers. Please just give me the facts if you would. I may not even play LoL, but I would still like them answered in influencing my decision. Thanks in advance!

TrueSkillz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Well first off I have converted several people from HoN to LoL and they like it better.

Speed Style - Slower

Hero Balance - some heros are stronger in certain situations but you can counter with a better team comp or items.

Matchmaking - Sucks in every game lol

LoL Community - I like new players but we have alot of smurfs at lower lvls that may give you hell

Pay2Win
you can not buy runes or masteries. you unlock them as you lvl. only thing you can do is buy champs but if someone that does not pay for them can still unlock them just buy playing.

IncrediBobs

02-07-2013

Well I have been a player on LoL for about 2 years. I'm on this forum to help new players.

Speed Style for League : Slower not as fast as Battlefield 3 or HoN you will have to earn minion kills and gain gold and levels to get into the real part where there is tons of action most of the times.

Hero Balance : Some champions as we call heroes in this game are stronger than others in every situation in the later summoner levels when you play different gamemodes like draft/ranked there will bee a lot of counter picking.

Matchmaking : Not that bad. (This is for NA servers btw)

LoL Community : Some people RAGE because they lose or call you "noob" if you are stronger than them. Some people are VERY kind and give you lanes that you want etc. (You will have a 4/10 chance of getting nice people.

Pay to win : THIS IS NOT part of the game. You can buy champions and skins (skins are things that add on to your champion to make them look different) with Riot Points (RP) ( the currrency you get for buying it with real money).

I hope this was a big help. Enjoy LoL.

Luucidx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueSkillz View Post
Well first off I have converted several people from HoN to LoL and they like it better.

Speed Style - Slower

Hero Balance - some heros are stronger in certain situations but you can counter with a better team comp or items.

Matchmaking - Sucks in every game lol

LoL Community - I like new players but we have alot of smurfs at lower lvls that may give you hell

Pay2Win
you can not buy runes or masteries. you unlock them as you lvl. only thing you can do is buy champs but if someone that does not pay for them can still unlock them just buy playing.
Some champions are more viable over others. Example: Karthus vs Heimerdinger (however you spell his name)

New players join and play everyday, but do expect smurf players having a little fun early levels so this puts new players at a disadvantage. (Smurf=another account being used by an experienced player for whatever reason)

You can spent money to acquire Riot Points which in turn can be spent on champion skins (cosmetic looks), rune pages (which need to be filled in with runes that you can only buy with IP [ingame currency]), name changes, ward skins (again cosmetic), champions (explained later), and IP/EXP Boosts.

Champions can be purchased with Riot Points or Influence Points (RP/IP respectively). All champions are available for either currency. You start off with zero and build up your roster as you play. Spending Riot Points just gives you that early selection advantage.

IP/EXP Boosts is what you can expect, earning more per game. Which in turn in a way, gives you an advantage towards buying those champions/runes/rune pages/ward skins earlier and leveling up quicker at the cost of Riot Points.

In the end, there is nothing that can be spent on with real life currency to give you the ingame advantage directly.

As for the community, in my opinion it is like every competitive MMO out there. There are a good portion of friendly players out there however. It is very calm in the Co-op VS A.I matches since there is no stress need to be made over those games.

IS1ee2fb8f625452

02-07-2013

I guess another question is: What are runes and what are rune pages? Are they the same thing? Still sounds like spending money on runes/rune pages gives paying players an advantage. I may be misunderstanding these though.....I wouldn't be spending money on the game at all is why I'm cautious. I don't wanna get completely owned by people because they pay.....

Thanks for the answers so far guys! Keep em comin!

WraithNexus

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS1ee2fb8f625452 View Post

Speed Style:

Early/mid game is all about laning/jungle ganks, but it can branch out. LoL is a game that's won by defensive play and smart tactics

Hero Balance:

There's a few that (to me) are very obviously OP, but rebalances happen all the time, so the developers do their best to keep things balanced

Matchmaking:

There's supposedly some complex algorithm behind matchmaking, but I always end up with at least one troll/afker/blatantly obvious new player

LoL Community:

there's a hell of a lot of pricks, but for the most part the community is cool
Pay-to-Win:

The only thing cash shop exclusive are champ skins and boosters, everything else is free. The only "advantage" RP can give you is unlocking champions with RP instead of IP and getting a little more IP at the end of a match, so you might see spenders with the latest champs, but they can all be bought with IP as well, just involves saving up

WraithNexus

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS1ee2fb8f625452 View Post
I guess another question is: What are runes and what are rune pages? Are they the same thing? Still sounds like spending money on runes/rune pages gives paying players an advantage. I may be misunderstanding these though.....I wouldn't be spending money on the game at all is why I'm cautious. I don't wanna get completely owned by people because they pay.....

Thanks for the answers so far guys! Keep em comin!

runes are something you can buy with IP to enhance your champs with passive bonuses.

rune pages are something you unlock through levelling up and can also purchase in the store, thse allow you to have several combinations of runes at the ready (but you can still on ly use one rune page in a match)

Note: IP = influence points, gained from winning matches. RP = riot points, the cash shop currency