Playing Ranked When Starting...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Setz3R

02-07-2013

So I started playing this game and ALL of my friends were in the 30s. Therefore I was always getting matched against really good players so truthfully I didn't feel like I was getting THAT badly outplayed. I boosted to get to 30 and started playing ranked.

I feel like I'm seriously 1 day into the game again. People yelling at me to not play ranked etc. Honestly I know I'm not good, I've only been playing for like 3 1/2 weeks. But why are people so freaking mean. Is it worth it to continue doing ranked to get placed into Bronze and just keep playing ranked? Or should I just stick to more normal games. I know once I get out of placements I think I'll be okay with people around my level (getting placed vs diamonds/plats/golds kinda sucks).

Should I finish placements or wait? Everyone keeps yelling at me -.-

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Wait.

There's a significant difference between a fresh level 30 and an experienced ranked player, even a division 5 bronze player. Granted, many of the low bronzes are down there because they are new(which is what's happening to you, incidentally), but the ones that aren't new, even though their skills are way down at that level, have a huge lead in experience on you.

The default position for starting ranked play used to be 1200 - presumably it's now still in the mid silver tier. This means that, compared to the people you're being matched with, you are probably hundreds if not thousands of games behind them(again I'm referring to veteran ranked players at a silver level - obviously there will be newer players starting out there, or falling through silver if they were carried in their placements).

In addition to just the game knowledge one acquires over those hundreds or thousands of games, they also have much bigger champion pools(far more of which they can play to a higher potential then you can), far more runes available, potentially many more rune pages, and a much better knowledge of masteries and summoner spells.

This difference is particularly evident to me because I did the same thing you did when I hit 30 - started ranked, and failed hard. At the end of season 2, I was down at about 750 elo. Since then, I switched to normals, and currently play at what seems like a low silver level(judging by borders, since I can't actually see MMR or league info for normals).

I have played a bit of ranked under the new system, and my placement matches dropped me in bronze 4. With the soft elo reset and a winning record in my placements, this makes bronze 4 way better then my end s2 elo, but the difference between that and my normals is staggering.

I still see people running clarity and clairvoyance in my ranked games, and they're not trolling - they're just so new that they legitimately think those are viable spells. They have no knowledge of team composition or counterpicking, and tend to play whatever they want in the role they get. Some of them have decent mechanical skill, most don't.

And all of this is due to being inexperienced. The players in my normals use viable champions, spells, counterpicks, and teamcomps with very few exceptions. They play better, are more aware of the map, and understand objectives. Again I emphasize that these players aren't actually very skilled - we're still at a very low level of play. The difference has everything to do with experience.

That was a pretty long post... if you want a brief summary: For best results, don't play ranked until you have several hundred games worth of experience. You can play ranked before that, but you will not do well.

TehomCD

02-07-2013

People often have horrible attitudes in ranked, and this is even more true in the bronze league than higher. Honestly, I would only recommend jumping right into ranked if you're someone with a really thick skin who can just blow off that sort of thing. I know I'm too sensitive to really ignore horrible abuse, so I'm glad that I waited a long time before I started playing ranked seriously. People still rage around gold, but usually it's not quite as awful in terms of intensity, for whatever reason.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

02-07-2013

If you used an XP boost to get to 30 faster, and started playing ranked as soon as you hit 30, you should expect the other players on both teams to be much more experienced than you. Skills from other games transfer a little bit to League, and it's always helpful to have good hand-eye coordination... but there is truly no substitute for experience. You need to play the game often to learn it, and you haven't done that yet. If you're okay with learning it in ranked instead of in normals, then that's your decision. But it may be a long time before you're ready to climb out of Bronze V.

Setz3R

02-07-2013

Thanks guys, I know I'm a lot less experienced than most people and have far less champions and runes, I just don't know why people's attitudes are so ugly it deters anyone from playing ranked even in bronze. In SC2 where I played up to masters league everyone was actually pretty well mannered most of the time no matter what division you're in.

I guess its just a different experience, I heard the LoL community was very nice, but I've ran into far more trolls and just plain out rude people playing this game (though the game is insanely fun). I guess what I'm trying to say is do you think ranked is the BEST way to get better? Playing people better than you has always been great in my learning, but it's hard to learn when people are just yelling at you all the time. T.T (Hell, people yell at you in norms too).

OhBoyItsaMegaman

02-07-2013

MOBAs have this kind of community in general. It's not the same as an FPS or RTS. There's something about this type of game that really makes tempers flare. I have heard that LOL has a nicer community than other MOBAs but it's still poor compared to most other online games. It shouldn't be acceptable, and you shouldn't feel like it's inevitable, so please report players who ruin your game by being needlessly abusive.

The reason why the low Bronze divisions would have the worst attitude is simply that people who aren't very good at the game hate the idea that it's their own fault. They're desperate to pin their losses on someone else so that they can claim they're in "elo hell", unable to rise through the ranks due to bad players constantly showing up on their team. Blaming their teammates starts to take precedence over winning.

In my opinion, you'll learn more in Normals than you will in ranked. Like it or not, there is a certain skill level that people expect you to be at before you start playing ranked. Performing way below that skill level is a big rage trigger for some players.

TrueSkillz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

tbh people take ranked seriously and is someone comes in and messes up a game for them because they are new they have a right to be mad. If you are not able to keep up with people in bronze then play normals till you get better, or just ignore people and let your elo drop until your in the correct area.

Cynical Rain

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
I still see people running clarity and clairvoyance in my ranked games, and they're not trolling - they're just so new that they legitimately think those are viable spells.
I couldn't refrain from going off topic because of this sentence.

Clarity Is a Viable Spell. (Anivia for example)

Setz3R

02-07-2013

Yeah I guess, it's just interesting cause I'm not quite sure how to gauge my skill level at the moment. I do pretty well in normals so I thought I was ready, but yeah, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I understand ranked is pretty important, but ranked or normal, at the end of the day its just a game! I find it really funny how people really do blame others though on winning or losing. Thanks for the reply guys, guess I'll farm up some more IP and experience before I get into ranked again. I hate how many placements you have to do just to determine what league you're in lol. Cause its so sporadic playing against Diamonds and plats even though im 2-3 in my placements at the moment.

OriginalJack

02-07-2013

Your rune pages look ok, and your item builds look ok. Your mastery pages are a little meh. I feel like you undervalue the defensive tree a little bit. You have points in the mana mastery for every page but if you manage your mana a little better these could be points you're putting into defense instead of utility. That extra early hp can go a long way at early levels but that's really just nitpicking...

It's hard to say exactly what the issue might be without seeing you play but if you find yourself outclassed skillwise you might do well to get some more practice under your belt.