Udyr Season 3: Solo Top Advice.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I Call ADC Bot

02-07-2013

He's hit or miss Top lane. He absolutely wrecks most melee champs like Shen, Riven, Wukong, Yorick, Vi... basically anyone without a spammable ranged harass/slow.

In general you want to prioritize your Q then your W.. but if you're playing someone like Yorick who will try to harass with his ghosts, get your W up first and bubble up whenever he releases them (us a bonus, you get to generate life and mana attacking his ghosts, without pushing the lane.) If they are stupid and don't run away when you get near, punish them with a tiger swipe, and turtle if they try to retaliate. You can greatly increase your burst by pre casting your Q a few seconds before attacking, allowing you to stun and land another Q afterwards. By doing this, you will either land a kill, or completely zone them.

Just be sure not to skimp on wards.. with no reliable escapes, and a tendency to push lane to restore life/mana on turtle, Udyr is like a magnet for ganks. On the other hand, don't be afraid to retaliate when ganked. Often people assume when they're ganking 2v1 they're unlikely to be killed. Often times you can take advantage of this and pretend to "run away" while your cool downs refresh then rince/repeat your EQW with an ignite to seal the deal.

Also.. stay far away from any effective kiters, unless you are sure you can get right in their face.

One of the best reasons to top as udyr is that people really don't understand him. Countless times I've seen my opponent build armor against me because my items are AD. What's great about udyr is that his Q scales off AD but deals magic damage, making him shred through most players' health in seconds.

IronWolf45

02-07-2013

Just tested it out and that seems to be the facts. Played a game top recently and though I only finished 1-0-6, I still prevented Renington (alligator dude) from feeding and he was complaining how Udyr was op as he couldn't bump me off my lane. He had no idea what to do and that bear-stance was very useful at stunning him long enough to pop my turtle stance and get away.

Reason for such a low score is that they surrendered at 20:00 since where where dominating them.

PhreakInfinity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar45 View Post
Udyr in a lot of ways is like Garen and Darius if you think about. Garen has his Q to close the distance, Darius has his grab which has proven effective, while Udyr has his Bear-Stance, which is great as one hit will give you an advantage. Not the greatest gap-closer, but then again I usually play champs (Garen for example) who are meant for CC so I have experience in dealing with ranged Solo-Top Champs.

Saying that, I recently saw a video of someone who dominated solo top lane against a Jax, and he did so by spamming his Tiger and Turtle Stances first with the exception of a Bear-Stance at level 4. His item build was apparently very effective so Im tempted to try it out but not sure how effective it would be. His final build was:

*Ninja Tabi w/+15 movement.
*Sunfire Cape
*Spirit Visage
*Blade of the Rune King
*Zephyr
*Wiggles Lantern

Now from watching this video, he just completely owned his lane and continued to cause havoc for the opposing team. Now Im tempted to try this build out, with the only exception switching out the Ninja Tabi for Mercury Treads if facing a AP heavy team, but if anyone has any suggestions about it or what items would better benefit Udyr Solo Top then by all means let me know.
This is the internet, we don't need words. Use links.

Peligrad

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs01gt View Post
and it does magic damage
AS items that he scaled with are now increased in price compared to S2

You need to pay more attention to the details of S3, Udyr is really weak right now. Better than Shy but still weak.
Don't build penetration on Udyr... problem solved.

And you don't buy AS on tiger Udyr. He gets tons of free AS.

The only AS item you even would consider is TriForce and personally I find buying straight AD more effective than the triforce.

Udyr is not weak...your build sucks...

I'm having a ton of success with Udyr S3. In normals and in ranked.

My last 3 normals I played with him I had a combined 20/1/30 (or something similar) record.

I use Udyr as my main jungler in ranked and I destroy with him...

Nothing wrong with Udyr...

Mogs01gt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligrad View Post
Don't build penetration on Udyr... problem solved.

And you don't buy AS on tiger Udyr. He gets tons of free AS.

The only AS item you even would consider is TriForce and personally I find buying straight AD more effective than the triforce.

Udyr is not weak...your build sucks...

I'm having a ton of success with Udyr S3. In normals and in ranked.

My last 3 normals I played with him I had a combined 20/1/30 (or something similar) record.

I use Udyr as my main jungler in ranked and I destroy with him...

Nothing wrong with Udyr...
lmao that is funny because for weaks since S3 has been out there have been Udyr threads regarding how weak he is. Even stonewall has said it often.

Peligrad

02-08-2013

Actually, Stonewall has him placed in tier 3. Which isn't that bad.

Second, tiger Udyr is where its at. A lot of people are dumb still running pheonix which does suck.

Also if you look at how Stonewall grades Udyr.

He gives him A+, C, A, A, C+. S, S, B, B

Compare that to others and he's got as good or better grades than tier 1.

Udyr is the undiscovered OP. People will catch on eventually. It's just taking some time.

Actually, if you look back to the preseason videos, when he first talked about the jungle changes, he talks about 2 champions that he is really interested in.

Olaf and Udyr...

He NEVER says Udyr is bad. EVER.