Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Encompassed Story

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tytrus

02-08-2013

Perhaps my approach at finding others who would be interested in this was delivered at the wrong angle. Instead of leaving the door open for anyone who would like to help, I will probably seek out those who have done fanfiction and would find this interesting. Does anyone in this community know of a person or persons who are quite enthusiastic about fanfiction and may even have written some of their own pieces that turned out quite well? Drop me some names and links if you can.

Frost Archer

02-08-2013

Quote:
Dregen:
I actually had an idea in mind to write a story based on LoL but changing it's entire backstory, setting it in modern day New York. It would be in a hospital, with a Doctor named Shen, an intern named Kennen, and a nurse named Akali, who are kidnapped by a mysterious group and forced to fight in an underground arena as a twisted game of survival, in the vein of Battle Royale/Hunger games or a modern day "league".

In one of the battle scenes I have Akali donning a medical mask, ripping open a pipe, which fills the room with steam, and she starts picking off her enemies one by one under the steam's cover with her medical tools, one of which is shaped almost resembling a kama, basically recreating what's it like to play her under Crimson Shroud .

Shen manages to kill a ninja, his first adversary, and takes his dual ninja swords for his own, and eventually discovers his inner savage, and finds out he's more comfortable killing than saving lives.

I killed off Kennen early or something in a fight where he tried to throw medical knives at his enemies, and it struck an electrical box, causing an electric surge frying everyone in the entire room, lol.

Sadly the story kinda died after the first couple chapters...but it was really interesting to write out, and I would never have written it without the inspiration of LoL lore, even though it's only *very* loosely based off it. .

Maybe ill finish it and release it one day, it's good for a read on a slow day...or someone else with a twisted mind can finish it for me ....>.>.....

Hmmm, how about setting Shen as the 42nd president and making Akali an Intern? If you catch my drift

Frost Archer

02-08-2013

Quote:
Tytrus:
Perhaps my approach at finding others who would be interested in this was delivered at the wrong angle. Instead of leaving the door open for anyone who would like to help, I will probably seek out those who have done fanfiction and would find this interesting. Does anyone in this community know of a person or persons who are quite enthusiastic about fanfiction and may even have written some of their own pieces that turned out quite well? Drop me some names and links if you can.

Hmmm. I don't know how to put this, but most if not all these people who have commented are enthusiastic about Fanfics, and almost all are popular. However, two that haven't commented would be: Kittytoast, and MiaoLong.

Also, I recommend you look through the Fanfiction Index. That is where people who think they are worthy post their fanfictions. There are no troll stories there since Cerubios scans through them before he posts 'em. (although the top posts are usually the one's you're looking for. Their up there for a reason)

Tytrus

02-08-2013

Thank you for the advice.

Ark Angel HFB

02-08-2013

Quote:
Tytrus:
Again Ark, you are quite conservative and linear in your views, which is alright because it's your opinion and style. Keep in mind, however, that it is your opinion, not fact and not my opinion or direction. I have told you nothing of the plot or setting, just that it'll be different from the feel of the game's lore and direction. On that note, this isn't an argument, and you've stated your opinion on the matter, so I would appreciate it if you leave it be now and leave this to those who want to be involved and want to help develop this story. Thank you for your time.

I still think I failed to get across what I meant... I'm not trying to argue... and I'm not trying to be a downer on your vision. I'm trying to give you a warning as a writer... The fics that I've done that deviate from norms of the characters tend to not be received as well.

Think about the new DmC game... think about the backlash that game got from changing the characters.

If you are going to shack everything up that is super fine, just be sure to do it in a way that is respectful to the original or you will lose readers... and since fan-fiction lives and dies on the readers, You just need to be careful how you pull it off.

So basically if I were to summarize my thoughts.

1. Make sure there are both light and dark elements so that the emotions contrast

2. When you change things, try and be as respectful as possible to the original characters. Also try to subtly pay homage the the original whenever possible, the readers that catch it will love the story even more for it.

3. Good luck. Finding writers to write your story won't be as hard as a writer trying to find an artist to draw theirs... but it may still be hard to find people willing to dedicate that kinda time. so find people who are there for the long run.

Dregen

02-08-2013

It's nice to have your fanfic get a lot of readers/comments, but is that the real reason why some people write stories? Original characters/stories tend to be less popular only because most people are mainly interested in FOTM light reads, or various forms of smut, h.omo or other.

Yes, I know having lots of comments/readers is nice, but lets face it - fanfic is fanfic. While some only write because they want a lot of views, others write so they can explore things that they would like/go into weird paths not possible otherwise in official forms of lore. Anyone can write a CaitXVi fic and instantly get 1000+ views - but the end result of it is you spent 5 hours of your life basically giving a bunch of 15 and 16 years olds a reason to jack off while they roll over and burst into flames over their fanatical love for their favorite champ.

Now, is that a bad reason to write fanfic? Not at all. It's fanfic, after all. But there are also many who prefer to explore their creativity and vision and create something original, and while they know it won't be popular, there's still plenty of very good, off-the-wall fanfics I've read that were amazingly well written, but just didn't include enough fanservice. But in the end, both are just fanfics - random writings that no one will remember a couple years from now.

The main difference between the two is that while both try their best to get readers, some aren't willing to write unless they receive constant praise and encouragement, while others are simply content to write for themselves and look at their works objectively, comparing them and seeing what areas they need improvement on, without having to be nagged by others.

@ Tytrus, I'm wondering if you've written any stories and posted to the fanfics forum? I didn't see any, and you can't really expect anyone to want to work with you if no one knows your writing style/ideas/etc.

Also frost...that's disgusting and disturbing T.T.

Ark Angel HFB

02-08-2013

Quote:
Dregen:
It's nice to have your fanfic get a lot of readers/comments, but is that the real reason why some people write stories?

In a way... at least for me... yeah kinda.

I mean I think the whole point of writing out stories is to try to communicate an idea, thought, or emotion to the reader. In "smut" stories it is ether love or lust, which ever applies. In mysterious stories it is painting a world for them to figure out. In action... well idk I think stories based around action are somewhat at odds with the medium...

Point being if you aren't writing for the reader... why post it at all... I mean just tell yourself the story in your head... what i do with most of my stories that people would not enjoy... no one wants to hear the tale of Teemo's time in the rune wars or the full story of Shen and his father... both of which I have on going narratives in my mind about and both of which I shall probably never write a single chapter of.

Quote:
Dregen:
But in the end, both are just fanfics - random writings that no one will remember a couple years from now.

This I can not disagree with enough... I have a list of fanfics that for me were truly great. And that I've remembered for years now. Some fluff, some pretty dark. I really think it is wise to try and write something that will be remembered for years and years to come.

Tytrus

02-09-2013

Believe me Ark, I've already had your three points in mind before you ever posted them. I see that you are trying to give advice from the standpoint of not knowing anything about me or my ideas, which I understand, but give me the benefit of the doubt. Also, I'm not necessarily writing because I want a lot of die hard fans or anything, I just really enjoy the idea of bringing the Legends to life in a different kind of way and seeing their stories evolve and grow, or diminish and end.

One other thing, no I haven't posted any fanfic, but I also don't EXPECT people to write my story. I'm just leaving the door open to welcome in a few people who would like to write it with me, IF there are any out there who really want to give it a go and stick with it. I feel if this story is as long as I'd like it to be, and as in depth as I want it to be, then it's going to take a lot of work AND would be just too cool for one man to have all to himself. The pleasure of such an accomplishment and diversity should be shared amongst colleagues.

Ark Angel HFB

02-09-2013

Quote:
Tytrus:
but give me the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry but If this game has showed me anything... it is give no one the benefit of the doubt when it comes to performance...

last time I did that I ended up with a support Nunu who eat every one of the tower creeps and only blood biold himself... T_T

Frost Archer

02-09-2013

Quote:
Ark Angel HFB:
In a way... at least for me... yeah kinda.

I mean I think the whole point of writing out stories is to try to communicate an idea, thought, or emotion to the reader. In "smut" stories it is ether love or lust, which ever applies. In mysterious stories it is painting a world for them to figure out. In action... well idk I think stories based around action are somewhat at odds with the medium...

Point being if you aren't writing for the reader... why post it at all... I mean just tell yourself the story in your head... what i do with most of my stories that people would not enjoy... no one wants to hear the tale of Teemo's time in the rune wars or the full story of Shen and his father... both of which I have on going narratives in my mind about and both of which I shall probably never write a single chapter of.

This I can not disagree with enough... I have a list of fanfics that for me were truly great. And that I've remembered for years now. Some fluff, some pretty dark. I really think it is wise to try and write something that will be remembered for years and years to come.

I think his point is that when you write, the important part is that you enjoy doing it yourself. Don't be shallow to only do this because you may get popular. For example, singers start their careers because they love to sing, not because they said: singers make a lot of money, I'm gonna train to be a singer.

Weather or not you have many readers or not, as long as you enjoy writing, eventually you will gain a few. I remember TMoDB. I had only ONE viewer that whole time. Me. I still really liked my story and I just simply HAD to write it down, not for the sake of getting viewers, but I really liked my story and I thought it would be nice to share. But it was mainly for myself. Now, I've got over 10K pageviews (I'll cut that in half 5K) and 4 fellow writers that I now know. TBH, I don't really care about the pageviews, I'm really only thankful for my friends that helped me convey and edit my story.