Who is a good second character if I liked Garen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MAGllKARP

02-06-2013

I feel like I need a more "competitive" character. I enjoyed Garen for his simplicity in that all I focused on was a simple build and my offensive abilities for farming and slaying. The most complex defense I had to do was using health potions while farming CS and running away when there was a fight I couldn't win. I have about 3.2k IP and I'm just learning to use wards so I;m not sure where to go from here. I usually take Garen top lane.

Also please don't say Jayce because I hate how he looks :P Aside from that anything is fair game

4Degreez

02-06-2013

Xin Zhao is another OP + simple-to-use character. He is a free-to-try this week. He is good at both top and jungle.

Andarel

02-06-2013

Garen is about as straightforward as it gets - no resource, straight bruiser, high base damage, execution ultimate. It really depends what you're looking for.

As 4Degreez said, look at the free champion rotation this week and try 'em out - you can go into a custom game with just bots and leave early when you're ready, makes things quicker. Xin Zhao is an offensive bruiser like Garen, but he's a lot more focused on making plays with his ultimate because unlike Garen he can't W-Q to run away if things go sour.

If you like bruisers though, it depends if you want to go utility (Malphite, Amumu, Udyr, Jayce) or damage (Irelia, Olaf, Garen, Darius). Also, try other types of champions - ranged AD (Graves), AP carry (Viktor, the AP Kayle build, Annie), and the straight tank that is Nautilus. It'll give you a better idea of what you find fun and what you don't.

TehomCD

02-06-2013

Darius, Jax, Olaf, Irelia, Wukong, and Xin Zhao are all top lane bruisers that fill similar roles to Garen. Darius may be the easiest to transition to, there's a lot of parallels in their kits. Darius is an extremely strong duelist who is only moderately more difficult to play than Garen, trading in Garen's sustain and some tankiness for incredibly high damage potential for a bruiser.

MAGllKARP

02-06-2013

Thank you for all of your replies so far! I'm really excited to try out some of these characters. I've been thinking Xin Zhao since I see one in almost every diamond league game I watch on twitch. I feel like he must have a high level cap so that I won't get bored, and the idea that he can jungle or go top is appealing.

xmzxzzi

02-06-2013

jax is pretty easy to use
he fits the role of solo top bruiser and jungler
the only thing is that he uses mana lol

and maybe other manaless bruiser(fighter) champions
riven shyvanna renekton
they are good because u can spam their spells whenever you want without worrying about mana

another one is rumble
the only difference is that he is an ap character which means he does more damage through spells without using mana
In fact he gets stronger the more spells you spam

Hope this helps
Source: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Manaless

Delingar

02-07-2013

I'll definitely agree about Xin. Like you, I started out liking Garen, and Xin was the second champ I picked up after him. While he does have mana you need to manage, his bursty damage and flexibility (ie can use as a jungler) is a great trade off.

I had tried Riven but found her a bit clumsier in my hands, although she's a bruiser like Garen with no mana to watch.

Have fun!

Peltz

Recruiter

02-07-2013

You shouldn't take Revive.

Interceptor09

02-07-2013

Darius. but you might feel cheezy using him, hes that easy.

Cuddle Me Tight

02-07-2013

Master Yi.