Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Smart-casting

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThatONeillGuy

02-06-2013

Haven't gotten the chance to try Veiger or Diana yet, but I did play a match as Lulu and, yeah. It really was hard to figure out the angles for Glitterlance without the indicators. I pretty much just fired them both at the same champ, which is obviously a waste.

Thanks for the input, all.

Quote:
Charming Ahri:
You can still pull up the range indicator by holding the key down. You can also cancle the cast by right clicking before releasing the key.

That's right! I never do that since the main reason I smart-cast is to spam abilities more quickly, so I forgot all about that option. Thanks for the reminder. Does it slow the cast time at all, or is it still basically automatic as long as you only tap the key?

ReMeDyIII

02-06-2013

Quote:
Charming Ahri:
You can still pull up the range indicator by holding the key down.

Holding the key down doesn't seem to work for me. For example, I'm using Gragas. I hold down his Q key. He ends up just throwing the barrel at wherever my cursor is, even when the Q key is still held down.

Now I have noticed when I manually click on the ability with my mouse, the cursor does get brought up and I can aim that way, but that's a hassle.

Im S0fa King

Recruiter

02-06-2013

Quote:
ReMeDyIII:
Holding the key down doesn't seem to work for me. For example, I'm using Gragas. I hold down his Q key. He ends up just throwing the barrel at wherever my cursor is, even when the Q key is still held down.

Now I have noticed when I manually click on the ability with my mouse, the cursor does get brought up and I can aim that way, but that's a hassle.

I mentioned in my wall-of-text on the previous page (so I can understand people skipping it) that the indicators are off by default. You have to start a match and go into the options to turn it on.

ReMeDyIII

02-06-2013

Ahh I see now. Alright, I enabled the smart range indicators. My only issue with it is there seems to be a slight delay in the ability being used. It's a delay like 0.3 secs that's really hard to notice, but the competitor in me finds it annoying. Still though, it's nice for those who want a middle ground between smart casting and range indicators.

Im S0fa King

Recruiter

02-06-2013

Yeah, I never bothered with them myself. I just try to remember the ranges and areas of each champion's skills. Bit awkward when you smartcast a skillshot and then realize that the other person was out of range in the first place.

Zisi

02-07-2013

Quote:
Ahh I see now. Alright, I enabled the smart range indicators

yeah.. don't do that, that's just the worst of both worlds.

To answer your original question, basically all champions are just flat out better played with smartcast for everything. However there are some exceptions, Bichu for example (5th place challenger teir right now) generally does not use smartcasting for throwing nidalee's spears (and hes considered by many to be the best nidalee player in the world). That said, even in that case he still uses the smart cast modifier for throwing spears if they are close quarters.

So basically, unless you really have a specific reason, your going to be better off learning to play with smartcast.

Ill Darkistino

02-07-2013

Rumbles Ult is terribly hard to smartcast. It always flies in weird directions.

Im S0fa King

Recruiter

02-07-2013

To smartcast Rumble's ult, you move your mouse to the desired start point, press and hold the R key, move your mouse in the direction you want the missiles to land in, and then release the R key. I assume you were just tapping the R key, which would fire the missiles in whatever direction your mouse happened to be moving at the time.

Uncanny Doom

02-07-2013

Rumble's ult
Alistar's Headbutt+Pulverize combo
Lulu's Glitterlance
Diana's Crescent Strike

These are the main abilities that are either harder or require some more practice with smartcasting on.

GON the Mage Guy

02-07-2013

The only ability I can't Smartcast with at the moment is Thresh's E. Otherwise it seems rather beneficial to use it, simply because it allows you to hammer out your combo quicker. Overall, it's just getting used to using it. I find it hard to go back to targeting reticules now.