Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Smart-casting

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThatONeillGuy

02-06-2013

I enabled smart-casting a while ago, and I'm . . . kind of getting better at it. Gradually. Haha.

It got me wondering, though: are there any particular abilities (or types of abilities) that tend to work better without smart-casting? I'd just like to know whether there are certain situations I ought to unbind it.

Zebawss

02-06-2013

When you need to be very precise with a skill shot is a good time to use the normal casting function. Otherwise, it is pretty much preferential to use normal cast vs smart cast. Though, smart casting does allow you to get get off a combo much faster than normal casting.

Whales96

02-06-2013

What is smart casting?

ThatONeillGuy

02-06-2013

Quote:
Whales96:
What is smart casting?

It instantly activates your ability at or toward your cursor, instead of bringing up the targeting graphic so you can left-click a target. Some abilities smart-cast by default (e.g., Summoner Flash, Riven's and Vayne's Qs, Ahri's ult, etc.). Here's (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Smart_cast) the wiki, for more info.

wHiSkErTeMx73744

02-06-2013

I generally do not smart cast, as Zebawss has mentioned, skills that require high accuracy and/or skills that I cannot afford to fail.

For example, I never ever smart cast Veigar's E (his stun ring). Landing that stun is the core of his entire combo, so missing that skill is not an option.

Another example is (well, was) Graves' E. Before the recent patch, Graves was able to dash through walls. This was extremely helpful for getting out of a pinch, but if I failed to properly jump over the wall, I would die, and my team could lose. Therefore, I always kept it un-smartcasted, not only to ensure I aimed it properly, but also to make sure the tip of the range indicator went past the required distance to dash over.

Kevle

02-06-2013

helps soo much

dehunter456

02-06-2013

A few abilities that would be better at just regular casting are:

Diana's Cresent Strike (Q): It's a curved skillshot that's pretty much the beginning of her combo. Misses this, and she doesn't deal as much damage as she can only use one lunar rush instead of 2.

Lulu's Glitterlance (Q): This isn't as important as you can still do fine without smartcasting, but you can hit two targets with this skillshot and that's hard to do with no GUI. So it's better without smartcast, but it's fine if you still use smartcast.

Charming Ahri

02-06-2013

You can still pull up the range indicator by holding the key down. You can also cancle the cast by right clicking before releasing the key. I hated smart cast until I figured that out.

Niek

02-06-2013

Lulu's glitterlance is the most difficult I've found. With smartcasting, you're mostly pointing your glitterlance at a single target. With the aim guides, you are able to split the glitterlance and aim in several directions. You can't get that sort of visual aiming with glitterlance.

(Thought I'd help out your question after you helped me with mine.)

Im S0fa King

Recruiter

02-06-2013

Quote:
Charming Ahri:
You can still pull up the range indicator by holding the key down. You can also cancle the cast by right clicking before releasing the key. I hated smart cast until I figured that out.

I believe the range indicators are off, by default. In that case, holding the key would instantly smartcast anyways.

Wall of text incoming. If you don't like those, skip to the tl;dr at the end.

I have yet to find a skill where learning to smartcast it would be worse than manually targeting as it would save time. Of course, there are many skills where a manual cast would be MUCH easier to use. For example, people have given Veigar's stun and Lulu's glitterlance as examples. Another one would be Lux's ultimate, when you're sniping with it long range. However, I use smartcast for everything for the speed. Smartcasting with Veigar requires (well... if your opponents are bad enough they'll just walk into the stun even if you miss) you to learn the range and area of the stun. An example for when having smartcast on Lulu would be very important would be if you were laning against an Ezreal, for example, and he used arcane shift -> flash to escape far away with a sliver of health. With smartcast on, and quick reflexes, Lulu could flash, use e (Help Pix!) on a minion between her and Ezreal, and then have Pix glitterlance Ezreal for the kill.

If you ever really do need to manually cast a spell but you bound the keys to smartcasting, you can click the spell's symbol on your skill bar, and it will bring up the targeting guide.

tl;dr
Smartcasting is always better for the extra speed IF you can learn all the nuances of the champion's skills.