I am working on filling out my roster but need some help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mekeji

02-06-2013

I want to have a decent group champs to pick from that I can fill roles my team needs.
I already have Kha'Zix, Cho'Gath, and Warwick.

I play Warwick as a jungle harass where I grab buffs then harass then fall back to heal and rebuff. It tends to go rather well for me.

I play Cho'Gath as a tank with his feast and his ability to silence and knock up and his ulti doing mass damage. I sometimes do an AP focused build but I don't find it nearly as useful as making myself a giant target to shield my team.

I just got Kha'Zix so I am still learning him but I am trying him as an AD top and then shift into a roaming gank.

As you can most likely tell from the list I like monstrous champs and the look of the champ does slightly matter to me. However I need to make sure that the champ is good at their role and able to be competitive in a match first.

I currently am looking for:
A ranged champ (I was thinking Kog'Maw)
A CC Champ
A carry champ
A support champ
Any vital role that I am over looking.

Solareclipse460

02-06-2013

Good champions to start with are:
Ashe for an ADC
Sona/Soraka for a support
Katarina for a counter mid
Annie for a mid
The rest of the roles, you have covered there. Another great support/tank is Shen

katyyyyyyyyyyy

02-06-2013

Going pro with 1 or 2 champs will allow you to reach a much higher tier in skill than being average at alot of champs and roles. Plus, picking decent champs that are not "commonly banned", and very solid picks in their respective roles, all simultaneously. Quite a few meet this criteria, and for me to list them would be too broad of a list. Since it seems not even you the poster knows what you are seeking when it comes to play style.

You also have to have strategies in mind on how you will get ahead of the enemies.

wHiSkErTeMx73744

02-06-2013

Hey Mekeji, looks like you like Void champs and beasts and whatnot.

Kog'maw is a fine choice for ADC, but be careful, as Kog'maw is the squishiest champion in the entire game (easiest to kill).
For CC, Cho'gath is fine, but perhaps you want a champion with something more... instant. I would suggest Alistar, Galio, Maokai, or Malphite. Or perhaps Jax. Turns out Alistar/Galio/Malphite/Maokai are all tanks.
For a carry champ, any champ can carry, as long as you and your team can follow up on your champion's strengths. A tank can carry the team by disrupting the enemy to the extent where they can't teamfight with you alive, and APCs and ADCs, deal damage to, well, carry. Supports can carry their teammates by providing the necessary tools to get their teammates severely fed. Bruisers can do significant damage on their own as well.
For support, there might not be much for you aside from Thresh. I've seen Volibear and Nautilus supports; not sure if you're into those. Trundle can also support, though that is odd and rare. Cho'gath can actually support, and as long as your teammate knows that Cho'gath can't heal, he can do pretty well (you have no idea how many people told me, a Cho'gath support, to heal them...).

Luucidx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2013

ADC = Graves, Ezreal, Corki (Strong in all phases) / Kog'Maw, Vayne as late game hyper carries
Support = Sona, Taric, Nunu (Does well in many team comps) / Zyra, Lux, Orianna as aggressive secondary APC
APC = Karthus, Zyra, Orianna, Twisted Fate, Lux, Morganna, Anivia
Assassins = Katarina, Talon, Elise, Diana, Lee Sin, Shaco

In my opinion, it is good to get familiar with at least 3 champions for each role. In ranked/draft games, they might ban 2 of your champions (say Graves and Ezreal or Anivia and Orianna for example) for that particular role by chance, so having that third is good in case. Better to play a champion you are familiar with vaguely than jumping in blindly.

So,
Jungle
Middle
Attack Damage Carry
Support

5 roles times 3 champions for each role totals for 15 champions. Which leaves you with one more champion to add in order to satisfy the Ranked requirement.

Niek

02-06-2013

Hey there! Here are some of my suggestions.

A ranged champ (I was thinking Kog'Maw)
Do you want AP or AD ranged?
Ranged AP: Annie, Ryze, Ahri (These are usually pretty good mid champions, though Ahri is falling out of favor somewhat.)
Ranged Ad: Caitlyn, Graves, Kog'Maw. (Kog needs a good support with him that can protect him. Janna+Kog is a perfect match.)

A CC Champ
ALISTAR. He is the CC king.

A carry champ
Akali, Katarina, Caitlyn, Varus

A support champ
Sona, Nunu, Janna. (Janan is my personal favorite but she isn't very popular these days)

Mekeji

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luucidx View Post
ADC = Graves, Ezreal, Corki (Strong in all phases) / Kog'Maw, Vayne as late game hyper carries
Support = Sona, Taric, Nunu (Does well in many team comps) / Zyra, Lux, Orianna as aggressive secondary APC
APC = Karthus, Zyra, Orianna, Twisted Fate, Lux, Morganna, Anivia
Assassins = Katarina, Talon, Elise, Diana, Lee Sin, Shaco

In my opinion, it is good to get familiar with at least 3 champions for each role. In ranked/draft games, they might ban 2 of your champions (say Graves and Ezreal or Anivia and Orianna for example) for that particular role by chance, so having that third is good in case. Better to play a champion you are familiar with vaguely than jumping in blindly.

So,
Jungle
Middle
Attack Damage Carry
Support

5 roles times 3 champions for each role totals for 15 champions. Which leaves you with one more champion to add in order to satisfy the Ranked requirement.
I don't plan to deal with ranked matches. Too much stress and worrying about bringing down the rank of my teammates if I mess up. I'm just want to enjoy the game and support my team properly if we are in desperate need for a certain role.

However that list helps out a good deal so thank you.

Luucidx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Sure, no problem. I've only pointed out champions that work well all around. That doesn't mean the others I haven't mentioned are weak at all. I most likely missed a few "more than viable" champions.

Ill Darkistino

02-07-2013

In regards to Ranged AD, Vayne is a great and very ignored pick. No one ever bans her, and she is VERY fun to play.

Kuryaka

02-07-2013

I kinda have a similar mindset Appearance/skill feel is a factor when I pick a champion.
For reference, I play generally play Cho, Lee Sin, Renekton, Malzahar, Cassiopeia, Jarvan, Syndra, and Varus. I'd advise you to try out champions before buying them, or at least look at videos of gameplay.

Cho: He is pretty darn fun. Instead of an AP-heavy build, I'd recommend some attack speed earlygame if you can duel the enemy - pretty much anyone with melee and burst. As Q is generally tricky to land, I prioritize E and W for quick lane pushing and roaming. Using autoattacks for AOE clearing also saves mana.

As far as damage items are concerned, I go with a Statikk Shiv or Wit's End instead of any AP. Even though he scales off AP pretty well, I prefer having that autoattack damage for pushing and early-mid duels.

Boots+pots -> Avarice Blade/Recurve -> Wit's/Zeal -> Boots upgrade -> Glacial Shroud -> Frozen Heart -> situational.
Statikk for top, paired with Atma's for a little more crit chance and single-target damage. I grab Wit's on jungle Cho (which has been continually nerfed with jungle changes) or mid Cho.

I want to play around with Liandry's on Cho, given that his E applies spell effects. But generally, your role is to stand there and apply CC. Optimize for CDR and tankiness, pick one or two damage items depending on how well you do early on.

I've played quite a few games with Thresh since release. He is an interesting support, with less teamfight utility but really good synergy with a responsive carry, preferably someone with an escape. You can't really harass in lane unless the enemy positions incorrectly, nor do you have a heal.

Your main role is to latch onto a target and just hold them there while your ADC opens fire. Or hang onto diving enemies long enough for your carry to get away.

As he gains armor/AP by collecting souls from dead minions/champions, he can't really hide in a bush and wait for an opportunity to peel. Use this to your advantage, keeping the enemy laners away from your carry.

Since his Q hook has a ridiculously long animation, you won't be landing many shots at long range without a slow. Q passive is also fairly lackluster if you're going support - though it hits hard at higher levels, you can't land it most of the time. Thresh's 475 autoattack range is shorter than most ADCs, and much shorter than other supports' ranged spells. I generally use the hook at close range, for initiations, or for jumping to a jungle monster. Follow up with a charged autoattack for some decent damage.

The chain animation allows you to drag a target closer for 1-2 seconds before jumping to them - don't just use it as an initiation tool, take advantage of that immobilization and hang onto them for a bit longer.

W is tricky. Main use is for shielding allies in a teamfight, but with someone like Tristana you can also pull off low-health towerdives. You can also use it to collect souls near the thrown lantern, which can come in handy. I generally keep it on hand unless someone dives the carry.

E is just another tool in your "holding" kit. Use it for interrupts, following up successful grabs, or whacking a target away from your carry.

R is just a damaging slow. In effect, it slows down the target to a crawl (minimum for movespeed is apparently 110, so the 99% slow doesn't work as advertised) and deals appreciable damage. Best use is after initiating a teamfight, or right before you die.

Overall, Thresh is more of a third tanky champion than a traditional healing support, and I'd advise you to try him out when he's free in a week or two before buying.