After How Many Matches...?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Niek

02-06-2013

TL;DR at the bottom

I've found myself in a predicament. I'm level 25. That's good, right? Wrong. I got to this point by playing an embarrassing number of bot matches. Then I took a several month break from the game. My IRL friends are trying to get my skills up so that I can play with them. They say it doesn't matter if I'm bad, but really, I'm the main course for the other team. I'm a hard core feeder. They are level 30, playing ranked, and when I go into PVP's with them, I feel awful. At the 15 minute mark, my CS is usually at 60 in a game where I'm not completely feeding. If they other team manages to kill me once or twice before the 15 minute mark, I'm usually at 30 CS.

TL;DR So my question is this: After how many pvp matches or pvp wins did you consider yourself to be a competent player? I've got 21 wins and am terrible. My goal is to reach level 30 by the end of the month.

Also, any tips on how to imrpove?

katyyyyyyyyyyy

02-06-2013

It is not concrete how many matches. Some people are fast learners some are slower. Some people hinder their own learning, through playing many roles rather than just getting good with one role. Some people do things chemically and physically to themselves that may hinder sharpness. Many things I did not mention exist, varying in relevance.

I really makes me upset that you would ask for a concrete answer to something that is so in-concrete.

0rokana

02-06-2013

Unfortunately there are only two ways that you`ll be able to improve. The first and most important, is to PLAY A LOT. The main difference between you and your friends is most likely the amount of games you`ve played and thus the amount of exposure you`ve had to characters, strategies, items, the map etc. etc.

Noone starts off as a pro and you shouldn`t feel discouraged if you don`t do particularly well in games. If it`s embarrassing to do so badly in front of your friends, then the only other option is to play in Solo que, but that also brings it`s own problems (intentional feeders/afkers/toxic players etc.)

Another thing you can do is to watch pro or high elo player`s streams. There is a section on the League of legends site that has streamers that they support. Whilst I wouldn`t recommend necessarily following their builds/masteries/glyphs, because they can often be a unique build that would require lots of practice to master, it is a good way to learn the general way that they play, how they use their characters and also simply just how matches flow.

I myself am still quite a new player at LoL, but these are the two ways that I feel like I improve the most.

Best of luck!

ThatONeillGuy

02-06-2013

I dunno that number of wins or number of matches can gauge your competency. I mean, let's say Person A has 200 wins and 1000 losses, while Person B has 50 wins and 10 losses. A has both more wins and more overall matches, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're a better player than B.

I'd focus more on improving your mechanical skills, knowledge, and strategic thinking. Maybe don't worry so much about catching up to your friends either. Everyone learns at their own pace, and forcing yourself into matches against higher level players doesn't give you much opportunity to improve since you're just getting rolfstomped at every turn. Probably better to play against others at roughly the same skill level, who will make similar mistakes and probably won't punish yours quite as hard.

Edit: Feel free to add, by the way, in case you're looking for someone closer to your level to queue with. I'm only 21, though. You may also want to check out this thread.

dehunter456

02-06-2013

It takes a varying number of PvP matches until you're a competent player. Heck I'm a level 30 and I learn new stuff everyday (for example, Garen is a pretty hard counter to Cho'Gath. Learned that by feeding the enemy Garen in ranked).

If you want to get better, the best answer is to play more PvP. Try out interesting builds. Experiment. Try new things. Want to learn when or when not to towerdive, towerdive the enemy champion. Want to try out a build? Build it. (on an off topic note, I tried the Minefield teemo of doom build I created (Ionian boots of lucidity, Nashor's tooth, and stacking 3 needlessly rods from there and upgrading them to death caps, and a GA) Didn't work out quite as I expected it, but watching the enemy jungler die trying to gank me was pretty fun). Just experiment until you feel like you know the game. A guide can only do so much, but if you try new things on your own, then you should get the game pretty well.

TehomCD

02-06-2013

It really varies, but I think a few hundred games of pvp is enough for solid fundamentals. Learning curve is a huge thing - I've seen players with over 2000 wins who are bronze, and there's players who only played a few hundred games who are platinum.

As to how to improve, working on your last hitting would be a big thing. You probably also want to play much more defensively than you do against bots. Not only are players far more skilled and dangerous, but their starts will be stronger than you due to runes/masteries: as a lower level player, you should avoid trying to trade with them unless your champion has a much stronger early game. I'd recommend more defensive builds, such as the 'all consumable start' on mana-using champions where you start with crystalline flask and health potions, for example, and concentrate solely on farming. When playing bot games, you should learn at what levels you can take jungle mobs safely before recalling, so that you're not missing farm when your jungler is otherwise occupied. It's just small things that'll help get your CS up.

Exorciistz

02-06-2013

honestly, i got better at this game after playing with a couple of players that's better than me. it helps me see my mistakes and how it should be done. Another thing that helped me was watching couple videos on youtube. wachin pros plays make you want to try to do like them and it helps me. Only thing left is to just play a lot and practice so you can do good. Co-ops never really help me since they're bots and they're programmed. PvP is the way to go.

BStein

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

while there is no number when everyone is ready for ranked.

what i tell most people is you need to have 3 champs for every role and you need to be able to play them decently. in addition to that you will want to have at least 3 rune pages; one for magic damage champs, one for physical damage champs, one for supporty/tanky champs. with those rune pages u will be able to play every role and not be at too much of a disadvantage vs someone with a dedicated rune page for their champ.

if u manage to play games till you are able to buy all this with ip you should have the skills needed to stand on your own in ranked games.

also if your friends all play ranked have them make a ranked team with you so you can get a feel for the ranked environment with them there to help out and point out areas you could improve. but that is once u reach lvl 30.

Dog0fWar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niek View Post
TL;DR at the bottom

I've found myself in a predicament. I'm level 25. That's good, right? Wrong. I got to this point by playing an embarrassing number of bot matches. Then I took a several month break from the game. My IRL friends are trying to get my skills up so that I can play with them. They say it doesn't matter if I'm bad, but really, I'm the main course for the other team. I'm a hard core feeder. They are level 30, playing ranked, and when I go into PVP's with them, I feel awful. At the 15 minute mark, my CS is usually at 60 in a game where I'm not completely feeding. If they other team manages to kill me once or twice before the 15 minute mark, I'm usually at 30 CS.

TL;DR So my question is this: After how many pvp matches or pvp wins did you consider yourself to be a competent player? I've got 21 wins and am terrible. My goal is to reach level 30 by the end of the month.

Play with me, you win!
JK =)

0ctogod

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niek View Post
TL;DR at the bottom

Niek, there is no solid number of games that will make you become a better player, but rather the level of improvement that you adapt to each time you play.

The things you should be focusing on improving before you will become a more "Competent player" are mechanics. Focus solely on last hitting, not taking creep aggro when poking against your lane oppenent, and, most importantly, focus on not dying.

That is one of the things that seperates a competent and incompetent player. If you can figure out the importance of staying alive to soak up experience, you will find that it is much easier to not feed in mid/late game.

Also, you have to think of Cost vs. Benefit in certain situations. For example, is it worth getting the last hit on a mage creep to take a lot of poke and possible engage from your lane opponent? Probably not, but if you have your jungler coming to gank your lane, that is a perfect way to bait out a fight.

Hope I was helpful bud! See you on the Rift.

BestBlítzNA