You can drop in League Divisions.. seriously?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xerta

02-06-2013

Before I even get into this: I strongly believe this is a much better way of ranking then the old Elo system.

With that said, why is it possible to drop into a lower division after such a low number of losses?
I've been through 2 series of promotions in Silver III and lost both of them to a D/C's during the matches. Nothing seriously aggravating until you begin to lose matches and drop huge amount of points. In fairness, I've lost games due to getting outplayed by the opposing team and that's not an issue. It's a game, win some lose some.
Now when it comes to losing due to a problem that you cannot physically do anything to stop such as a DC.. that where I can't exactly understand the preferences. I lost 4 games due to three DC's and one Troll. How could it be where after I lost my third game, and hit 0 points, that the following loss will diminish my Division and send me down into a lower ranking?
Yes, I understand you can't lose all your games, and yes it seems fair to drop a division after you've lost so many games (A probable way of stopping trolls from destroying so many games)
The issue with the old Elo system (At least for what I've seen) was the issue of "Elo Hell". To get out of this "Hell" you most likely needed to win 4-5 games in a row to achieve a high enough elo to be ranked with higher brackets.
This has not changed even slightly in the matter with the now de-ranking of Divisions.

For example, say "Billy Bob" is playing in borderline Elo Hell before the patch, and now is placed in a Silver Division II.
Billy has been winning the majority of his games, and gets into a promotion series to be able to move to Silver I. Sadly, he does not make the 2 game victories and gets placed down to around 65 points.
Over the course of the next few games, he loses and wins to keep his count at around a 40. (Please bare in mind you do gain less the higher you are, yet you lose approximately the same amount throughout the grind) His next two games are losses through both being D/C's and 50 minutes into the game, the 4v5 cannot be held back due to the lack of their 5th plyer. He's deducted 20 points (The average amount loss) from both games. Leaving him at 0 points.
Billy is very unlucky when he gets into the loading screen of his game and sees his ADC has not connected leaving the bot lane as a single support lane. Surviving the game until the one hour mark, the other team out ways in damage during team fights and utterly wins the game.
Arriving out the game, Billy is then de-ranked to Silver Division III and has to go through a whole series again to just return to where he started.

Now with that said, my only question is: why do the points (even in a loss) vary so differently?
Why couldn't there be a deduction on the points loss due to a disconnect?
I'm not intending to say any disconnect, but within the first 10 minutes of any ranked match?
Why have it knock anyone down a Division if it's there first loss at 0 points?
Maybe have a system where you put a "Demotion Series" after losing the first game at 0. Making it to where you have to win the next 2 games to stay in the Division you're currently in.

Mainly me ranting, but please.. any feedback would be great. Thx! (:

Dayblazer

02-06-2013

I wouldnt mind Demotion matchs. Seroius would go over better then just straight You've been demoted. Other then that People gotta fall so others can climb.

DemonRagnarok

02-06-2013

I just had the same thing happened to me i had 1 person wh dced 4 minutes in and didnt come back tell 14 min i had one rage quit and one decide it was feeding time and got demoted because of this. i to like the new system however i think its way to easy to go down and much to hard to go up, considering i was at 90 in silver I and it took me 3 games to get to 96, all wins, and i "had" a great win/loose. Had is there because i recently went on a loosing streak due to the same things you had happen, it rather annoys me considering i had a around 30-15 (not sure of the real numbers but this is pretty close) and went on a 6 game loose streak to get demoted.

TheFriendlyUncle

02-06-2013

the divisions and tiers are just to give you a milestone to work towards. the matchmaking is still based on ur elo. it just doesnt show.

for instance, say i elo boost bob from bronze to plat. He can play in plat and never worry about dropping to gold cuz the system prevents that. However, as his elo drop from constant losses, he will start to play with ppl from lower elo, i.e. gold/silver. so even though he has plat showing, all his games will eventually level back to bronze.

now in ur case, say the cut off for silver II is 1400 elo(hidden), u got placed into silver 1 due to having a higher top elo during preseason. And u are losing games in s3. As soon as the grace period ends, ur real elo kicks in, and once u drop to 1400 elo and is at 0 points, the next loss will demote you.

however, if u are at 1450 hidden elo and u are stuck at 0 points, u wont get demoted after 1-2 losses. Hope that clear things up.

FluffTrooper

02-06-2013

If you are gaining a small amount of LP on win and losing a lot the system considers your elo/mmr lower than your division and wants you to fall into to the appropriate tier.

If you win a lot of LP and lose a little you are have the opposite and the system is trying to move you up.

Xerta

02-06-2013

It's something that really hits, people that are trying to win there games, hard with how strict each game is.
I can't seem to find any way to not get a loss due to some players in elo hell.
It even affects you when you Q dodge a game where you know there's someone intentionally trying to troll and lose the game.
I don't expect anything to come from this, I just wanted room to vent.

Canfrith

02-06-2013

Got placed in bronze II....1267 elo S2. Wasnt even ELO Hell yet.