Falling behind in levels as support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

a wild ZEEDLE

02-06-2013

I find that often when playing as support I fall way behind in level, sometimes as much as 4-5 levels behind the highest level champ on my or the enemy team.
Mostly because I lose a lot of experience while warding and spend a lot of time dead since I usually die in team fights protecting the carries. Past mid game I have trouble leeching off of people clearing waves because they'll have cleared them long before I ever get there.
Any advice or methods for keeping an efficient flow of exp throughout the game as support?

Hiryuu16

02-06-2013

First, mid and top will usually be ahead of bot, since the bot lane shares XP., while the others are solo. 4-5 is a big gap, but 2-3 is not unusual. Make sure you are in XP range when your ADC is farming. You should be about even with their level.

I often go with Boots of Mobility on supports, unless I really need the defense. It helps with warding and positioning between fights. If team fights go poorly consistently, I don't have a lot of advice, since I'm still weak there, too. Sometimes split pushing will keep the enemy disorganized enough to recover. Sometimes defending a turret will keep more of you alive than them. You want to fight them on your terms, but that takes help from the team.

katyyyyyyyyyyy

02-06-2013

Never go ward, when there is a ton of minions at your turret or the wave is being pushed. only roam to ward when your lane is pushed and there is nothing else for you to do in the lane. or else you risk missing experience from minions dieing as you went warding.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2013

I wouldn't go as far as to say don't ward as long as you have nothing to do, but rather, conserve your wards for when you could be ganked. A sort of supply vs. demand system, I guess. Not much point in warding when you're tower hugging, but anywhere past the halfway line is dangerous.

Experience will be easier once you get into higher levels that come with more mastery points, with the utility (support) tree giving additional experience.

Making sure to be within experience range (AKA your personal Line of Sight range). If you would be able to see it without wards or allies, or if you land the finishing blow, you get experience for it. This range is difficult to understand at first (since there's nothing indicating your personal view distance), but you'll get the hang of it. It's about the length of one strip of shrub on bot lane.

Other than that, it's acceptable to cast a support ability on a champion who's about to make a kill just for the assist bonuses. Soraka is a great example to "assist snipe" with, healing an ally across the map just before he makes a kill. Don't do it too often, though, as you might actually NEED that heal later.

Getting early gold items (philosopher's stone, kage's lucky pick) will help with covering the experience gap with items.

wHiSkErTeMx73744

02-06-2013

I agree with Z The Slayer.

It's important to ward the lane, but there's no point in jeopardizing the safety of your turret by going out of your way to ward the river, especially if your partner isn't even past your side of the river entrance yet.

All of his other points are also worth noting.

Also, it's important to make sure that you aren't giving the enemy team free hits. I know it's tempting to just do whatever you want and let them hit you a bit. "Oh it's only 60 damage, I'll heal it up." After a while, you'll realize you're at half health, and that's a lot of free damage you've given them.