High health bruisers are too effective

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1e25160deba7bf

02-06-2013

After dozens of games of ARAM in S3 I found that LeeSin/Nasus/Darius and similar are some of the best characters post level 6 game because of the amount of damage they can put out whilst still building heavily tanky. There is no debuff like in Dominion to keep defensive stats under control (15% armor penetration, 5% magic penetration, 20% healing reduction) and the only maximum health damage item (Bloodrazor) is really ineffective, adding about 70 magic damage per hit before resists.

Tanky chars are strong outside early game as they win through attrition. Squishier teams just can't do enough damage.

slipstreem

02-06-2013

... the top 4 champions in winrate on proving grounds.. heim sona kogmaw soraka...and then of course yorick is your first real bruiser.. then you get taric zyra and janna... so it looks more like having a support on your team is what is OP, especially if it has a heal... counting heim's passive, that is 5 champions in the top 8 that boost the health of their fellow champions that are dominating games. none of the champs you mentioned even make top 15 and no bruiser does either(unless you count morde.. but I don't as most build him pure ap)...

http://www.lolking.net/charts?region...e&range=weekly

But going to the bottom 15 you find a bunch of high hp bruiser types... riven, tryn, rengar, udyr and trundle reside down there...

IS1e25160deba7bf

02-06-2013

Individually they have a lower impact on the game but a team stacked with three of them is very effective against most comps.

Purpleskoal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2013

They removed the penetration aura from Dominion. The most important things for a team to have is CC and safe poke/wave clearing.

Jel

02-06-2013

testttttttttt

FDru

02-06-2013

As an avid Warwick player, I can attest to the fact that %HP damage is very effective against HP stacking anything.

LrdVprScrpn

02-07-2013

Tanky/Support heim is godmode in this. Get a Super Aegis, Athene's, Liandry's, Sunfire, Rylai's, Boots of Choice and go to town. Just waddle around dealing out chaos and destruction while passively healing your team and whittling down the enemy with rockets.

High health bruisers are strong against idiots, just like Kat and Yi are strong against idiots. There are easy ways to counter them, but nobody ever wants to do it. They all stick to their cookie-cutter builds and God help you if you suggest otherwise.

New Gamerleans

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS1e25160deba7bf View Post
After dozens of games of ARAM in S3 I found that LeeSin/Nasus/Darius and similar are some of the best characters post level 6 game because of the amount of damage they can put out whilst still building heavily tanky. There is no debuff like in Dominion to keep defensive stats under control (15% armor penetration, 5% magic penetration, 20% healing reduction) and the only maximum health damage item (Bloodrazor) is really ineffective, adding about 70 magic damage per hit before resists.

Tanky chars are strong outside early game as they win through attrition. Squishier teams just can't do enough damage.
This is the problem I constantly have to reiterate in these kinds of posts. You're neglecting the fact that the players you play with are as random as the champions. Just because you get teamed with people who either A) do not know how to play well or B) do not know how to build responsively does not mean a certain kind of champion is OP.

People have complained about Warmogs, Blitzcranks, Nidalees, Master Yis, and Alistars like they were getting paid for it. Funny enough, most decent players know exactly how to counter the above and would probably name a whole slew of champions that have an overall stronger effect (read: Karthus, Kayle, Varus, Volibear, etc). Not to mention, if you're just joining ARAMs as an individual player, then naturally some teams are going to stomp you. But in professional, organized play you may see things differently.

I get it, you might be thinking "pro play da fuq dis is ARAM idc bout pro just OP champs". That's kind of my point. Just because people are not pro does not imply the champions are OP.

In conclusion, yes bruisers are strong, but they are not overpowered. In fact, from what I've seen, Nasus (for example) is highly underrated as a full tank and have never seen him well played in ARAM as a bruiser. Darius is strong for sure, but he has no closers and can be easily kited by a good player with a champion like Ashe, Cait, or Varus.

Redenbacher

02-08-2013

Bruisers will kick your ass if you don't build sustain and penetration, in addition to going glass cannon.

Nothing like watching the IE/PD/SB ADC on my team whining about how much damage Mundo is doing. Build some armor/MR/HP as applicable and build some lifesteal.

Also, it's a good thing BotRK wasn't put in ARAM or high HP Bruiser would be really broken... oh, wait.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2013

It's kind of amusing to see all the posts about Jayce,Nid, etc being overpowered and that everyone wants the Poke champs, the poke meta is OP, etc.

Then on the same forum a QQ about BRUISERS that built tanky being OP.

Sounds like things are working as intended. Poke is strong early to midgame, whereas bruisers gain strength towards mid-lategame. ADCarries also gain a lot of strength lategame.

And shockingly, a team with 5 squishy pokers and no tank tends to get overrun mid to lategame.