Digi-Art WIP: Leona and Talon vs. Diana and Varus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daemon

01-25-2013

YEAH. GOT PEN. BACK TO WORK!

l AM NEVER GOlNG TO WlN, BUT lT lS K.

Just so you know what the hell is going on in the sketch, Leona is using Zenith Blade on to Diana, while Talon is ulting (he does a really cool flip in-game when he ults). Diana is using Moonfall on Talon, while Varus is auto-attacking Leona (Talon is being the badass he is and flipping over the autoattack). The S3 items are the discarded Runic Bulwark somewhere to the right, the Banner of Command behind Varus and maybe some discarded. broken Crystalline Flasks littering the ground.

I'll update when I get stuff done here. If you're interested in champion design (both visual and actual abilities), you can follow me at: loldaemon.tumblr.com

I am aware everything I am posting is grainy or low-quality. The actual picture is 6000x3000 and I am too lazy to open it up in Photoshop to resize it there without artifacts. I use PaintTool SAI for the entire picture in grayscale, then I use Photoshop for effects, colors, masking, etc.

Step One: Sloppy Sketch!
Step Two: Values and shading.
> Working on Talon's face: xxx
> The hair didn't translate well when zoomed out, so no hair. About 1/2 done with Talon. This is gonna take forever! xxx
> General idea of the background. Now I can see that Leona is TOO BIG! xxx
>Leona! Sorry, I can't draw boobs or thin girls. She looks kinda like Lux. Leona doesn't need too much detail because she's in the background. Looks like that left eye needs to be fixed! xxx
>Thumbnail, again. Now you can see Talon is ulting. I got bored of Leona so I went to Varus. xxx
Step Three: DO MANY THINGS AT ONCE.
> Adding in some color, working on the BG, getting everyone positioned right, adding in some preliminary effects to understand light sources and color of said light sources. Leona's Zenith Blade effect is not final. It looks like a lightsaber! Leona and Talon are done (I need to do something fancy with his cape. It's too boring and blocky at the moment), Varus is half-way, Diana is obviously not done. I really hate the Banner of Command, I wish that there didn't have to be an S3 item, but oh well. xxx

Daemon

01-26-2013

updated!

Skynade

01-26-2013

omg I love this scene! It looks really nice and I love how you angled the poses.

It looks amazing, you should really try to enter with the mind set of winning! It's worth the effort I'm sure.

Daemon

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynade View Post
omg I love this scene! It looks really nice and I love how you angled the poses.

It looks amazing, you should really try to enter with the mind set of winning! It's worth the effort I'm sure.

Thanks!

Everyone is up against the Korean and Chinese LoL communities, so it's going to be incredibly hard to win...for some reason, Korea and China has a ton of amazing artists.

Skynade

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Thanks!

Everyone is up against the Korean and Chinese LoL communities, so it's going to be incredibly hard to win...for some reason, Korea and China has a ton of amazing artists.
It's the effort that counts! and yeah, I've noticed that even in the USA, the art studies are highly populated by asians.

KHDragonn

01-26-2013

Is leona trying to jump on Diana as Diana is trying to pull in Leona?

great minds think alike.

the sketch looks pretty good right now. can't wait for color =)

Daemon

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHDragonn View Post
Is leona trying to jump on Diana as Diana is trying to pull in Leona?

great minds think alike.

the sketch looks pretty good right now. can't wait for color =)

Leona is trying to jump onto Diana to protect Talon, but Diana is trying to draw Talon in as soon as he ults so either her or Varus can kill him. The blades aren't there yet, but Talon has just ulted.

It's really a crazy scene, but they are practicing....practicing a not so great strategy. Diana should have used Q, ulted to Talon and then used Moonfall. Leona could probably ult and stun Diana (at least) and slow Varus, but Varus would probably finish them both off.

It's not really evident that they have a terrible strategy, but Talon jumping over Leona's E is going to be pretty cool-looking.

A Cat in a Tank

01-27-2013

I must say I look silly in that picture =(

good job nonetheless

Daemon

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaIon View Post
I must say I look silly in that picture =(

good job nonetheless
I can't help it if you do a weird flippy thing when ulting! Once I draw in the blades and make him turn partially invisible due to stealth, it should look better.

DarkusMagus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2013

i wish i could do even a small fraction of what ive seen on this page...