Digi Art - Fiddlesticks Almost Done - Aero

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aéropostale

02-05-2013

About 80% through now. Wanted some feedback on how I implemented my S3 Item.

Thank You :-)

Attachment 607726

JKGN

02-06-2013

Good foreground elements. but it lacks atmosphere and mood lighting. Add a soft gradient background (if you don't intend on making one at least) and if you're willing, define a light source direction on fiddle

Scapegoaty

02-06-2013

I like the spirit, it works, but I agree with above that it lacks atmosphere/mood. I know the wood parts on the left have highlights but in general I can hardly tell them apart. Some pieces can be darker than their overlapping part or less saturated. His entire cloth part has shadows and highlights but some parts of them would be completely covered in shadow - lacking highlight. The red part has highlights along all of the edges, it's like the light sources are coming from everywhere and none of them are colored. What if the whole fiddle was darkened and the spirit was illuminating him?

I like the composition and how you implemented the item, that's very powerful, I also like how he's cropped to give better focus. Coming along great.

Aéropostale

02-06-2013

Thank you guys. I've definitely been working on lighting the last few days, deciding on direct source or multiple. Initially I had a slight overhead, frontal light. After changing my whole idea on the S3 Item, I knew Id darken fiddle up a great deal with the Lantern being the main source.

Now its time to Apply :-) Much appreciated!

Aéropostale

02-06-2013

Update: Got what I wanted with the Lighting, and worked in a background. Little bit more tuning and finishing the Chain... Debating on letting the eyes glow or leave them as they are.

Opinions?

Attachment 608607

JKGN

02-06-2013

getting there. bring back more lighting on fiddle's right side of his face and body and right arm since that's where the source of light is coming from.

SUBTLE glowing eyes works. don't have to overdo it. like maybe two soft glowing specs of light.

Scapegoaty

02-07-2013

I was going to say I liked how the right side became a silhouette, if the light source is behind it then it would appear to be that way. The edge of the blade more in the corner has a subtle lighting on the bottom and I think that looks about perfect, are you applying that down his arm too? I know you're not there yet but if the spirit is the main light source then most of the stuff right above it would have some darker parts, like the chain where it's attached. I personally like the eyes without the glow better, more like a jack skellington kind of thing.