Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

lets take a look at shyvana

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Novakiller13

02-05-2013

shyvana's been my main since my first month of playing league. Been out of the loop for two months due to computer crash so new items and stronger jungle has thrown me for a loop. played a ton of bot games to get a good feel on her and want to know if this is viable for her. Her jungle speed been lowered quite a bit, but the new items make up for it. Most often i go with greaves, frozen mallet, black cleaver, blade of the ruined king, atma/zephry and if the game hasnt ended by then i go for hydra, maw, bloodthirster, last whisper depending on situation. so i ask the community is this a good build for her?

Solareclipse460

02-06-2013

My friend plays Shyvana extremely well, he builds almost identical, your build is fine
If you need any more help, feel free to ask me.

ExecutionerK

02-06-2013

Too squishy for shyv.

Nishaven90

02-06-2013

Not very tanky, especially since Shyvana is supposed to be a bruiser.

Good items include Wits End, Randuins, Spirit Visage and other tank items. Greaves should almost never be built on Shyvana.

If you insist on building only damage, then crit builds do more damage than the build that you use.

ZeroQuest96

02-07-2013

A decent build for shyv in season 3 is Wriggles (if jungling), Wits End, Blade of the Ruined King, Frozen Mallet, Guardian Angels, Mercs, and if you get to late game sell wriggles for either a Randuins, Spirit Visage, Runic Bulwark, or Warmogs.

M3GaL0d0n

02-07-2013

I see a large issue with this build... it looks just like a Master Yi build...

Shyvana is not a pure AD champion, she is a DPS, but she favors on-hit builds with attack speed over stacking AD. This makes her fairly similar to Warwick, but she's more reliant on life steal or the on-hit healing from Blade of the Ruined King. Usual on-hit items are great on her, as well as some direct damage items, namely Sunfire Cape or Bilgewater Cutlass. Shyvana has good synergy with magic penetration, but has few opportunities to build it. For this reason it is important for Shyvana to play with champions like Fiddlesticks, Amumu, or any other champion that can bring MR reduction innately or through an item to boost her damage. If one of these champions is not present, Shyvana can build more AD than Magic damage along with ArPen for late game damage instead of extra magic damage.

Early on, Shyvana usually needs Tenacity over damage or utility, so Mercury treads is an absolute must on her. Enchantments are all viable depending on the situation. Shyvana also needs Attack speed over and Raw damage because her kit is designed around scaling incredibly well with it. She also likes to have a balance of defensive stats. This is usually attained through Mercury Treads, Wriggles Lantern, and Phage. The next item builds additional damage and tips her defensive stats toward countering whichever damage type her enemies are using. Usually the best Advanced/Legendary tier item for her to get first is Frozen Mallet, She can now either build On-hit magic damage though Wit's End, or a little more AD friendly damage through Statikk Shiv (This can scale with Crit-rate avoiding the need for MPen late game). Alternatively, she can go straight for Armor by building Sunfire Cape with a Dagger or Long sword tossed in for a little extra damage. If MR is extremely powerful against her enemies (Which it rarely is), she can sit on a Giant's belt and go straight for Wit's End and/or Hex Drinker and finish Sunfire or Frozen Mallet later. This seems to be a lot like Season 2 Shyvana, and it is, but Riot has not changed early game Bruisers very much in the past few months, so this is okay.

Late game is where we really like to mix things up a bit. Shyvana was one of the only champions who could build a Tiamat last year on a day other than Tuesday and not be reported for trolling. With Ravenous Hydra boosting her damage and sustain enormously, this is more powerful than ever. Ravenous Hydra, like her other items, excels when paired with attack speed. Combined with attack speed and some raw attack damage items, she becomes a very strong fighter, able to dive into fights early and pump out damage whilst being very difficult and/or costly to put down. She can avoid disables through Tenacity and late game Mercurial Scimitar.

Alternatively, she can build VERY high attack speed (Frozen Mallet + two or more Advanced AS items), dealing damage through her abilities and using Blade of the Ruined King for Sustain, this gives her less area of effect damage. But much better tank-busting ability while saving her sustain through the on-hit healing. It also gives much needed Ranged CC, which Shyvana lacks entirely. This allows her to counter teams with more than two Bruisers or Mages in addition to a tank. Shyvana is hardly an Anti-Carry, so this build is great for punishing enemies for stacking health.

Attack Damage Shyvana is still viable in some cases, She's very powerful when tearing up an enemies back line. Her movement speed steroids and high damage make her difficult to kite and punishing if allowed to fight a carry by herself. This is going to look a lot like your build, but it happens to be the weakest of them all because Shyvana is not a melee carry nor an assassin. However, Hex Drinker, Trinity Force, Bloodthirster, Warmog's Armor, and Atma's Impaler combined with Damage boots, give Shyvana very high front-loaded damage, through she is quite easily killed and generally requires support from a tank or another assassin to finish off enemies and contribute to team fights.

I apologize this post is glaringly run-of-mill but plainly stated... The build you are using was poor last season and it is poor this season. I thought it best to show you the other builds she was used with last year and show you why they worked. The trick to playing a damage based bruiser who has no disables is to find a happy medium between damage and outright durability. Generally the first thing that comes to mind is life steal, but looking at Shyvana's kit says that defensive items and attack speed are her best items. Since Blade of the Ruined king and Ravenous Hydra suit this build so well, her place between a melee carry and an initiator off-tank has been established as viable. Try to find out how to make Shyvana deal good damage, but not need to back out of a fight early because you didn't have enough durability to make it through to the end of it.

If you need some credibility for this (Which is stupid, either you try the build and you like it, or you don't)... I've played Shyvana for around 200 games, but a have a friend I play pubs with and I've seen allied Shyvana's for at least 500 games. Which isn't really impressive, but at least I've seen her built in a wide variety of ways.

P.S. Shyvana is still one of the fastest junglers in the League (Depending on the build and route she's still the fastest). The jungle is a lot tougher, but Shyvana's combination of AoE damage and high single target damage allows her to tear through the jungle very easily. Just build Machete. You don't directly gank much anyways, so the lack of move speed from Boots is not hurtful to Shyvana, nor is the lack of armor for Cloth Armor. She's in some trouble, but over the course of pre-season she's come out pretty good and people seem comfortable with her new playstyle and late game builds.