Any person thinking about trying out League of Legends should consider the following:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1337 SawS

Member

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehomCD View Post
Your second point is demonstrably untrue. Only the statistically worst offenders ever reach the Tribunal and are punished for it. To be blunt, if your nephew was banned by the Tribunal, he probably wasn't a perfect angel.

I certainly won't dispute that the community is bad. It's something they keep trying to work on. But to say the Tribunal is counterproductive is laughably false from someone who played before it was implemented, and got to see game after game of the most vile, racist, and horrible things imaginable. I can't remember the last time I saw someone spam chat with slurs, and that sort of thing was commonplace before the Tribunal was implemented.

You're right about leaving being prohibited - leaving a game essentially ruins the game for 9 other people, so they need to take a very hard line against it. I'd be the first to agree that the low level game is a cesspool, primarily because of people who have invested nothing into their accounts and don't care if they're banned. But toxicity greatly decreases as you go higher, turning from something godawful into meeting people who are merely occasionally obnoxious.
He was never banned nor suspended. I have been suspended before for simply asking people to stop trolling. I know people who have had their accounts banned for yelling back at people abusing them. People's answer to being harassed in this game is to mute/ignore the person, which is in no way the solution to many of the types of harassment that take place in this game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1337 SawS

Member

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbar View Post
well, thats just like, your opinion man.
this will not stand, man. the dude is, like, man...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaalika

Senior Member

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 SawS View Post
Any person considering playing LoL needs to be advised of a few realities of this game.

1. You will be insulted, harassed and disrespected if you play this game.

2. If you try to defend yourself or show any sign of self-defensive actions, you will be suspended and eventually banned by a system called "The Tribunal".

3. If you put any money into this game, you will eventually regret your choice. Riot has spent over a year running me in circles trying to simply get an error on their part fixed. The money I gave them would have been better spent being burned to keep me warm for 15 seconds.

4. The less you have invested into this game, the more you will enjoy it.
The converse is also true: The more you care, the less happy you will be.

Good luck, new "summoners".
Unfortunately true. I regret putting money in this game and will never do so again even if I eventually return to play.

I've never been banned or even warned, and was one of the few people in the game to ever have a yellow ribbon. The game is simply not fun anymore due to excessive abuse.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1337 SawS

Member

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
How old is this individual? Are we dealing with a reasonably mature person who is at least an adolescent? Or are we talking about a young child?

This is a fairly important distinction in his reaction to ingame behavior, and even whether such behavior is acceptable for him to be subjected to.

Adults can deal with the bull**** of trolls - we may not enjoy it or approve of it, but we can at least recognize it as unpleasant people being unpleasant.

Children cannot, and should not, have to deal with it.

Perhaps, in the future, you shouldn't recommend this game to people for whom it's unsuitable, or at least strongly encourage them to play custom games, where they don't have to deal with the unsavory elements of the player community who may have such a negative effect on them.
I am an adult who spent plenty of time being bullied in my childhood, and I do not handle people bullying me over the internet like it were cotton candy.

My nephew, and plenty of others I know IRL or online, have had issues with bullying in real life and are susceptible to excessive bullying. The bullying that takes place in this game also has adverse affects upon people in real life after they leave this game.

I personally have been online gaming for almost two decades, and this game has abuse that rivals any game I have ever played, and has been managed worse than any game I have ever seen. This sort of game, MOBA's, have very low levels of moderation and high levels of abuse. There are MANY practical ways to have more moderators/admins participate in this process that would actually stop this, but the effort is more than Riot is willing to take.

Riot also, whether they admit it or not, endorses a large portion of the trolling/harassment/bullying that takes place. For example, the person who said my sister was menstruating because her child was bullied to the point of extreme emotional pain. Those types of people run rampant in this game, on these forums, and are NOT put in check as they should be.

People like myself who well try to get trolls to stop harassing us have been suspended many times, and I have seen many, many posts of people saying the same.

People's life experiences have as much to do with how they handle these situations as their age. And MANY people in LoL take great joy in abusing each other.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TehomCD

Senior Member

02-06-2013

While I completely agree that the abuse people see in game is often outrageous and completely unacceptable, where I firmly disagree is that Riot in some way condones it, or that the Tribunal is counterproductive. I honestly don't believe that you could be suspended for telling people to stop trolling, and feel there must have been far more to it than that - threatening to AFK or leave games, excessive arguing in chat, etc. I sympathize with reacting to someone trying to bully you, I really do - but the fact of the matter is that the game includes other people besides the jackass who's harassing you and you, and retaliating will ruin the experience of people who are otherwise unaffected, which is unfair to them. People who verbally abuse do get banned, though the process is regrettably slow.

I simply can't buy into an argument that a company that employs a team of scientists to analyze player behavior and come up with solutions for negative behavior somehow endorses it - from every standpoint that's simply illogical. I feel that your argument that they should be doing more may ignore the sheer scale of the game: there's literally millions of players, which requires an entirely different approach to the problem of player behavior than individual moderation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delingar

Senior Member

02-06-2013

People can defend the LoL community all they like by saying there are jerks everywhere on the internet, and to some degree its true. But after online gaming for over 10 years, I can say no question this group of players can be the rudest, most obnoxious and most likely to troll of any I have ever played.

In the end, you have to decide if you're willing to deal with it to enjoy a complex detailed game. Personally I dont think the game is suitable for kids, because of the community and because of the detailed level of knowledge required to play in pvp matches (and yes, that fact is why I hide in CoOp games on this account!)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

katyyyyyyyyyyy

Senior Member

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 SawS View Post

1. You will be insulted, harassed and disrespected if you play this game.

2. If you try to defend yourself or show any sign of self-defensive actions, you will be suspended and eventually banned by a system called "The Tribunal".
1. There is a sea of toxicity and darkness that exists, you are correct on that. However, the only reason why it exists is because there is too many people actively contributing to corruption of behavior and add to it. All that needs to be done is YOU and every one else who plays actively tries to be a cure to this bad behavior, and a bright spot amongst the sea of toxicity and darkness. Then all the problems go away. You can't be lazy and sit on your but and say "it's bad community" you got to be an active one making it good, and not spreading corruption.

2. The only way defending yourself will get you banned is if you fight fire with fire. 2 wrongs never make a right. So the only way you get banned is if you lose your cool and sink to the level of behavior the wrong doer did. Bad behavior can be contagious if you are weak in spirit. Go back to point one, be strong in spirit, and be the cure and a bright spot. I'd like to add that the option to ignore exists, but should not be done. You need to communicate with the toxic community if you are going to make a positive impact. Ignoring them just hides the problem of toxicity and darkness. These people are humans just like you, not perfect, but you should at least be considerate regardless of how "unperfect" their behavior is.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TrueSkillz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-06-2013

maybe you should teach them the ignore feature. any thing that has millions of people playing are going to have bad apples. and your nephew sounds really young maybe a dora the explorer game would be better. If he just started why is he playing pvp? should be doing bot games to get a feel.

sounds like your in the wrong for dumping a game on your nephew and not teaching him how to play when you already know how bad some people are.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GON the Mage Guy

Senior Member

02-06-2013

I'm probably going to come off harsh, just fair warning. It's not that I'm being insensitive, I simply believe you're flat out wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 SawS View Post
I am an adult who spent plenty of time being bullied in my childhood, and I do not handle people bullying me over the internet like it were cotton candy.
I was bullied too. The difference is that was then, this is now, as people can change. If your way of "handling" them is arguing back, spending more time typing than actually playing the game, then you're doing it wrong. No one's asking you to "handle bullying like it were cotton candy." Be the bigger person, otherwise you become the bully you're trying to fight.

Quote:
My nephew, and plenty of others I know IRL or online, have had issues with bullying in real life and are susceptible to excessive bullying. The bullying that takes place in this game also has adverse affects upon people in real life after they leave this game.
Susceptible because why? They aren't emotionally mature enough to find an outlet? I get bullied by coworkers, people online all the time, but there's ways to deal with it. I go play a single player game. I draw. I look at funny cat pictures. I find something that isn't the thing that's causing me an issue online. If it's real life, I deal with it head-on, because that's how real life works. Real life isn't like online, and vice versa, and you're equating the two. Your nephew, you, and your "other people" seem to only want to blame others instead of growing as a person.

Quote:
I personally have been online gaming for almost two decades, and this game has abuse that rivals any game I have ever played, and has been managed worse than any game I have ever seen. This sort of game, MOBA's, have very low levels of moderation and high levels of abuse. There are MANY practical ways to have more moderators/admins participate in this process that would actually stop this, but the effort is more than Riot is willing to take.
I've been playing just as long if not longer, and half of that doesn't count because there was no real online gaming for that first decade. You're also speaking in hyperbole. Go check out the Team Fortress 2, Counterstrike forums. Go check out DotA. How about WoW? No, LoL has a pretty high level of moderation compared to those games. They have the most popular game in the world with millions of players. That's not exactly easy to moderate. Go refresh General Discussion a few times, tell me how quickly it changes on a minute by minute basis. If you have practical ways, list them, don't say "Oh, Riot won't do them," because you haven't said what your idea is.

Quote:
Riot also, whether they admit it or not, endorses a large portion of the trolling/harassment/bullying that takes place. For example, the person who said my sister was menstruating because her child was bullied to the point of extreme emotional pain. Those types of people run rampant in this game, on these forums, and are NOT put in check as they should be.
You're looking for instant gratification, which isn't a good thing. Go downvote that guy. Enough will hide his comment. Riot's not "endorsing" that just because someone of their own free will posted it and Riot didn't fall from the heavens and smite him. How would you "put them in check?" Millions of people. Millions. Please, go on and tell me how you moderate better than Riot.

Quote:
People like myself who well try to get trolls to stop harassing us have been suspended many times, and I have seen many, many posts of people saying the same.
Because you're doing what the trolls want. Is this a difficult concept for you? They're getting a rise out of you, because that's what trolls do. For someone who seems to claim himself an expert on bullying, you don't know much about online bullying.


Quote:
People's life experiences have as much to do with how they handle these situations as their age. And MANY people in LoL take great joy in abusing each other.
It couldn't be the fact that you're arguing with them to get them to "stop?" Not everyone online's a troll, despite that being your perception. If you've been banned, post your reform card. I'd really like to see this "defending yourself" that you're doing. I guarantee you're not telling the whole story.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Needles Eurydice

Junior Member

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 SawS View Post
Any person considering playing LoL needs to be advised of a few realities of this game.

1. You will be insulted, harassed and disrespected if you play this game.

2. If you try to defend yourself or show any sign of self-defensive actions, you will be suspended and eventually banned by a system called "The Tribunal".

3. If you put any money into this game, you will eventually regret your choice. Riot has spent over a year running me in circles trying to simply get an error on their part fixed. The money I gave them would have been better spent being burned to keep me warm for 15 seconds.

4. The less you have invested into this game, the more you will enjoy it.
The converse is also true: The more you care, the less happy you will be.

Good luck, new "summoners".
Wow, where was this 3 weeks ago? Ever since I've been playing this game, all I wanted to do was just unlock all the female characters and that's it. And all of this is very true to me.

I just go against AI to try to get better, then lvl 30s jump in and ruin everything. If me or another beginner just die, we get reported for feeding. If I don't get the item that is to their liking, I get reported. If I get a skin for a character I like and don't play at there level, I get reported. Man, I get reported for being a beginner in AI Beginner Mode Twisted Treelines. I once got flamed by a guy for standing on the alter, locking it, and running back and defending my lane. He actually had the nerve to tell me, did you know that standing on the alters will make the other team's champions follow you. REALLY? I thought on the third day of playing this game that the eye balls over my head gave me laser vision.

I'm only three weeks into this game and I'm already finding out how terrible and irrational "competitive" gamers can be... it's not really competitive gaming when it's just AI computers; but don't tell them that, they will report you for it.

Maybe I should just go back to La Tale or Rusty Hearts or something. I'm wondering if it's even worth it now. But I just want to unlock all the females, then I can seldomly come on and do whatever.