Any person thinking about trying out League of Legends should consider the following:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1337 SawS

02-05-2013

Any person considering playing LoL needs to be advised of a few realities of this game.

1. You will be insulted, harassed and disrespected (bullied) if you play this game.

2. If you try to defend yourself or show any sign of self-defensive actions, you will be suspended and eventually banned by a system called "The Tribunal".

3. If you put any money into this game, you will eventually regret your choice. Riot has spent over a year running me in circles trying to simply get an error on their part fixed. The money I gave them would have been better spent being burned to keep me warm for 15 seconds.

4. The less you have invested into this game, the more you will enjoy it.
The converse is also true: The more you care, the less happy you will be.

Good luck, new "summoners".

1337 SawS

02-05-2013

In case people are thinking this is me trying to cause problems, I introduced my nephew to this game, and my sister was furious at me for doing so after she saw the things my nephew has had happen to him. She asked me to let other families know what they are in store for.

coheedrocks72

02-05-2013

Actually the more I play the game, the more I enjoy it because I ne'er stand it better. Yes you be insulted and yes I you start fighting back you will get I trouble. The second is more because our going to end up fighting more than playing and just make the rest of the players feel even more uncomfortable.

Ignore is a great asset and I'm sure if that player gets mad at you for not communicating the tribunal can look over the chat log and see why.

XxAngelVIIxX

02-05-2013

If you play any kind of online game with other people, you're going to get insulted... They're called trolls, and their bread and butter is getting people all worked up and upset over the word vomit that spews from their mouths.. well, in this case, fingertips. Don't give them power over you (or your nephew) by letting them ruin your experience... Screw um'.

1337 SawS

02-05-2013

I understand your comments, but that still did not prevent an excessive amount of bullying from taking place. He was literally in tears, crying to my sister about being abused so excessively.

The other part of the problem new or experienced players will find is that you are not allowed to leave games in which you are being harassed/bullied. If you do so, you are seriously penalized, and will be banned in short order if you make a habit of it.

TehomCD

02-05-2013

Your second point is demonstrably untrue. Only the statistically worst offenders ever reach the Tribunal and are punished for it. To be blunt, if your nephew was banned by the Tribunal, he probably wasn't a perfect angel.

I certainly won't dispute that the community is bad. It's something they keep trying to work on. But to say the Tribunal is counterproductive is laughably false from someone who played before it was implemented, and got to see game after game of the most vile, racist, and horrible things imaginable. I can't remember the last time I saw someone spam chat with slurs, and that sort of thing was commonplace before the Tribunal was implemented.

You're right about leaving being prohibited - leaving a game essentially ruins the game for 9 other people, so they need to take a very hard line against it. I'd be the first to agree that the low level game is a cesspool, primarily because of people who have invested nothing into their accounts and don't care if they're banned. But toxicity greatly decreases as you go higher, turning from something godawful into meeting people who are merely occasionally obnoxious.

Righteous Savant

02-05-2013

I'm a new player as well. I disagree with your points wholeheartedly. Let's counter, shall we?

1. Bad players are everywhere. This is sadly a tragic fact. I get them on my team quite often. On a good team, it's just one person. For whatever their pathetic reasoning is behind their motives, they ruin what should be a great experience.

Players who insult, harass and disrespect you should be reported after the game. You still must complete the round or survive until the 20-minute surrender requirement (why not 15, Riot? Seriously.) As frustrating as those players are, do not let them ruin your evening. Report them. That's what the Tribunal is for: Poor players.

2. I don't bother "defending" myself. I have been accused of feeding after a single death and not using my Ultimate enough due to being countered remarkably well by some skilled opponents. I mute players who just want to be the armchair quarterback to my playing and do my very best.

3. I have happily put money into this game. I have done so with many games, including subscriptions as far back as EverQuest and most recently World of Warcraft. Paying for games is never a regret, unless it's an awful game. This is not by far a bad game, but you can have a bad time in a session. Lord knows I have.

4. This game gives the player the ability to invest or not. I know I didn't need to buy anything, but I wanted the bundles, a few skins and a couple of characters (learned until I have my runes, IP is needed for them and rune pages later on). It's a preference to the individual. For me, I was happy to spend. For you, it seems you are not happy with whatever amount you've given over.

Again, I disagree with your commentary. It's visible that you are unsatisfied. Perhaps, a break from the game is necessary for you, if not a departure. I'm not saying you should leave. That's entirely up to you. However, for us new players, more encouraging words would go much farther than the statements of regret you have made quite clear.

I hope things improve for you, 1337 SawS.

Interceptor09

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 SawS View Post
Any person considering playing LoL needs to be advised of a few realities of this game.

1. You will be insulted, harassed and disrespected if you play this game.

2. If you try to defend yourself or show any sign of self-defensive actions, you will be suspended and eventually banned by a system called "The Tribunal".

3. If you put any money into this game, you will eventually regret your choice. Riot has spent over a year running me in circles trying to simply get an error on their part fixed. The money I gave them would have been better spent being burned to keep me warm for 15 seconds.

4. The less you have invested into this game, the more you will enjoy it.
The converse is also true: The more you care, the less happy you will be.

Good luck, new "summoners".
well, thats just like, your opinion man.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Quote:
I understand your comments, but that still did not prevent an excessive amount of bullying from taking place. He was literally in tears, crying to my sister about being abused so excessively.

The other part of the problem new or experienced players will find is that you are not allowed to leave games in which you are being harassed/bullied. If you do so, you are seriously penalized, and will be banned in short order if you make a habit of it.
How old is this individual? Are we dealing with a reasonably mature person who is at least an adolescent? Or are we talking about a young child?

This is a fairly important distinction in his reaction to ingame behavior, and even whether such behavior is acceptable for him to be subjected to.

Adults can deal with the bull**** of trolls - we may not enjoy it or approve of it, but we can at least recognize it as unpleasant people being unpleasant.

Children cannot, and should not, have to deal with it.

Perhaps, in the future, you shouldn't recommend this game to people for whom it's unsuitable, or at least strongly encourage them to play custom games, where they don't have to deal with the unsavory elements of the player community who may have such a negative effect on them.

SchrodingerBAM

02-05-2013

Quote:
In case people are thinking this is me trying to cause problems, I introduced my nephew to this game, and my sister was furious at me for doing so after she saw the things my nephew has had happen to him. She asked me to let other families know what they are in store for.

sounds like she's menstruating