Going Pro in Season 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pumaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Vendetta View Post
You're imposing your personal values on others. They are doing what makes them happy. How many people can say that? The world would be a better place if people didn't believe in the myth that you have to go to college to get a job and be successful. College is a tried and true way to success, but it is not the only way.

Colleges admit athletes who do nothing but play games all of the time. There is no real difference between what pro-gamers do and football players do besides the form factor of their game.

They should totally become rock stars if that is what they want to do in life. But they don't. These pro-gamers get plenty of human interaction from what I can see. LoL is a team game. They are competing against other teams. And making plenty of money while doing it.
College athletes are playing sports. They are IN COLLEGE while they are playing these sports, and providing multiple avenues to success for their future. They're physically interacting with the world, with other people, and are improving the health of their bodies. They also have the potential of going pro in ACTUAL leagues, who can make millions of dollars.

On top of that, this is just some mediocre free-to-play game that stole it's concept from far more difficult games (Warcraft series). This game takes a mediocre amount of talent compared to other "pro" video games (FPS's, Warcraft/Starcraft). A large part of why this game IS enjoyable is because it is quite simple. One unit, very limited options. Simple.

Rock stars are making music. They are artists who create works of art. They can share their works with people who have no interest or connection in the process whatsoever. Nobody outside this game cares nor would ever care about this silly little game. It has no use outside the little world created around it.

To tell kids that they should throw away opportunities to better themselves for some stupid little video game is a disgrace. It is irresponsible and it is a lie. Video games will not open up doors, at least not at this time, like most other endeavors in real life.

Lastly, I am not "forcing" my opinion on you or anyone. Since there is a serious, SERIOUS lack of responsibility by Riot in MANY aspects of this game. Some adults (such as myself) want to speak up and try to prevent people who just want to make their video game more popular from ruining other people's lives. If I were forcing this down your throat, I would be showing up on your doorstep, refusing you to close the door and follow you around saying these things. Instead, I'm posting on a form in which they asked for us to comment on the video.

windblade72

02-07-2013

Its funny that through all these comments not one person heard correctly. He said Season 3 as in this season of the game cause its the first one to have this much potential. He never said he was done with college. Taking a year off for decent pay is not unheard of.

Squishy Wombat

02-07-2013

Is anyone else getting horrible jumps? I get 10 seconds then it jumps ahead 5... very annoying

ol MuDD lo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

mine is jumping too...

happyfunbags

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblade72 View Post
Its funny that through all these comments not one person heard correctly. He said Season 3 as in this season of the game cause its the first one to have this much potential. He never said he was done with college. Taking a year off for decent pay is not unheard of.
I can't quote a statistic, but I've heard as much as 80% of the folks who drop a year to work never go back.

I though about something earlier, maybe I misinterpreted what the pizzafaced Asian kid meant by "college is whenever". However, it sounded preachy to me, and since Riot didn't mention anything about their views not being reflected by anyone in the video, they legally adopt those views as their own.

Those of us who have paying jobs, including these professional self-proclaimed athletes, should fear the consequence of millions of American teenagers abandoning school, spending years addicted to a video game, and then end up on welfare. The working class pays for their survival; I'd rather there be less of them. Let's face it, if all you know is gaming and pooping, you are pretty much unemployable. I don't consider myself religious, but god help us all.

Lavender gaRden

02-07-2013

wow,

Disel122

02-07-2013

wooo

Grey Vendetta

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfunbags View Post
Those of us who have paying jobs, including these professional self-proclaimed athletes, should fear the consequence of millions of American teenagers abandoning school, spending years addicted to a video game, and then end up on welfare. The working class pays for their survival; I'd rather there be less of them. Let's face it, if all you know is gaming and pooping, you are pretty much unemployable. I don't consider myself religious, but god help us all.
Slippery slope logic.

You do realize that the pro in pro-gaming means that they are professionals who earn money from what they do, right?

Millions of kids want to be professional basketball or football players. God help us when they can't get jobs because they wasted their lives playing games to be better at it.

Grey Vendetta

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumaster View Post
College athletes are playing sports. They are IN COLLEGE while they are playing these sports, and providing multiple avenues to success for their future. They're physically interacting with the world, with other people, and are improving the health of their bodies. They also have the potential of going pro in ACTUAL leagues, who can make millions of dollars.

On top of that, this is just some mediocre free-to-play game that stole it's concept from far more difficult games (Warcraft series). This game takes a mediocre amount of talent compared to other "pro" video games (FPS's, Warcraft/Starcraft). A large part of why this game IS enjoyable is because it is quite simple. One unit, very limited options. Simple.

Rock stars are making music. They are artists who create works of art. They can share their works with people who have no interest or connection in the process whatsoever. Nobody outside this game cares nor would ever care about this silly little game. It has no use outside the little world created around it.

To tell kids that they should throw away opportunities to better themselves for some stupid little video game is a disgrace. It is irresponsible and it is a lie. Video games will not open up doors, at least not at this time, like most other endeavors in real life.

Lastly, I am not "forcing" my opinion on you or anyone. Since there is a serious, SERIOUS lack of responsibility by Riot in MANY aspects of this game. Some adults (such as myself) want to speak up and try to prevent people who just want to make their video game more popular from ruining other people's lives. If I were forcing this down your throat, I would be showing up on your doorstep, refusing you to close the door and follow you around saying these things. Instead, I'm posting on a form in which they asked for us to comment on the video.
1. I never said you were forcing your opinions. You are free to have your own opinions and are free to express it. I said you were imposing your values meaning that you are judging others based on your personal values of what it means to be responsible.

2. The rationales you use to discourage kids from playing video games are tired. They've been around ever since the NES and Atari made home consoles popular, and before that when the TV first came out. Neither Riot nor any other game maker is ruining kids' lives. Many kids responsibly game. This is a matter of parental care and discipline.

3. I care enough to watch the professional matches the way people watch the NFL. They are entertainers and what they do provides me with diversion when I am bored. Incidentally, I don't give a damn about football or the NFL.

4. LoL and DotA are team based games that uses both skill and strategy. This makes them different from FPS and SC/WC to me. I do not spectate those games because they do not interest me because I find them boring. I am not saying that skills and strategies are not present in those games, but the complex interactions of a team makes for more interesting variations in the MOBA format. You are free to think that LoL is simple in nature.

5. Athletes more often than not hurt their bodies more than they help. Sports injuries are a serious concern and sports medicine is a booming field. Long term effects from the wear and tear of playing are a serious matter for these athletes. Pro-gamers go to events and interact with real people. If I am not mistaken, the S2 Championship had $2 million dollar total payout? Given the infancy of esports, my guess is that these pro-gamers will continue to earn more money in the future as the industry matures.

6. You are under the myth that education important and it is. But its not for everyone. If you want to be happy than you have to know and do what it is that you want. As a society, we are too busy pushing students from HS into college that most of these kids end up with degrees that they don't want while accumulating tremendous debt. I'd rather these kids take a few years off, do something, and discover what they want before coming to college. Higher Ed has morphed from being about education to being about making money. Maintaining the myth that all students need to go to college is how it stays alive and make more money. I know plenty of successful people who did not go to college but instead did what they wanted and are happier for it. I know plenty of students who graduated with degrees and have no clue what they want to do. You are free to believe that education is the answer to everything and maybe at one point in time it was when a liberal arts education was valued over a technical/vocational education.

7. As always, you are free to have your own opinions, but you must acknowledge that others have their own opinions. You seem to believe that college is important to kids. My experiences as a professor at a institution of higher learning perhaps has made me jaded about college. College is simply not that important because students, parents, politicians and people like you believe in the utilitarian model of education rather than a democratic model. Here's a fun piece for you to read about the different models of college education. Unfortunately, Menand left out the utilitarian model of education in his discussion: the idea of going to college is to get a degree so that you can get a job.

95Shudragon

02-08-2013

i was wonder would it be ok for a 16 year old to compete as long as he have permission from his parents/guardians?
i don't want to start a team and have one of my member having to drop out at the last minute just because he's a year too young to be "qualified"