Why are so many supports falling off?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheLittlestLulu

02-05-2013

So pretty much I only play support champions in this game. I noticed there are very few supports that are doing well in high elo these days. It used to be I could pick someone like Zilean and build one good armor item like frozen heart and be tanky enough to not be wrecked to the point where I am constantly forced to use my ult on myself, instead of someone who can use it better, but since season 3 if I want to make any difference against the ridiculous 60% armor penetration + flat pen I have to dedicate to a serious tank build, which doesn't work well with Zilean considering how much this hurts his ultimate's usefulness.

A lot of supports have been knocked down since season 3. You have Zilean who pretty much gets devoured by the ultra-dashy bruiser/assassin with full pen meta, Taric who's kit has been seriously hurt by the 60% armor penetration people are building, Soraka who has already been thoroughly abused by Riot and pretty much had the coffin shut on her with the penetration changes, Nami and Thresh who are Nami and Thresh, and I believe there was some other support who's name started with a K but I can't quite remember.

The only supports that are doing well in high elo matches with your standard cheesecake/tier1/tier2 ratio are Janna, Lulu, and Sona, and though I don't play Sona since I don't really like her gameplay, from what I've seen it seems like even she is starting to slip.

I feel like season 3 for Dominion hurt balance far more than it has helped, and for me it definitely shows with how the various supports feel since all the changes.

SuperQuackDuck

02-05-2013

Supports suffered because right now its more advantageous to stack health against ADs rather than get armor. Which also makes them resist magic damage better as a secondary benefit if you dont have bft. Most supports dont rush bft as their primary item as AP carries often do, so health stacking is hurting supports a lot more.

TheLittlestLulu

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperQuackDuck View Post
Supports suffered because right now its more advantageous to stack health against ADs rather than get armor. Which also makes them resist magic damage better as a secondary benefit if you dont have bft. Most supports dont rush bft as their primary item as AP carries often do, so health stacking is hurting supports a lot more.
This is probably why Zilean feels so much weaker than ever. With the kind of health stacking that's happening his ult if it manages to go off will just feel like a drop in the bucket. Pretty much whenever I use my ult on someone it feels like the only thing I accomplished was making them wait longer to respawn.

I guess the only supports that are doing well now are the ones who's entire kit is utility.

MyDeadGrandma

02-05-2013

Because some people build them as damage soaks and aren't skilled enough at using their inherent mobility/kiting.

Why is Zilean getting caught by bruisers?

Thresh is a hero that requires farming and has gutted armor and attack speed because of it, and Nami and Karma have bigger issues that have nothing to do with dominion.

Overall though, shields/healing are devalued due to hp stacking, which again, is happening all across the board,again not just dominion.

TheLittlestLulu

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDeadGrandma View Post
Why is Zilean getting caught by bruisers?
Because Vi's ult, Wukong's dash + ult, and Jax's leap + stun don't care about slows.

When a teamfight starts they can easily zone him.

MyDeadGrandma

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillcoldcoolaid View Post
Because Vi's ult, Wukong's dash + ult, and Jax's leap + stun don't care about slows.

When a teamfight starts they can easily zone him.
It sounds almost as if you were trying to place bombs on them.

TheLittlestLulu

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDeadGrandma View Post
It sounds almost as if you were trying to place bombs on them.
I didn't even bother leveling my bombs past level 1. I rushed W and E because in the end utility is far more useful than damage with a support in Dominion.

The point is when a teamfight starts all someone like Vi has to do is get between you and your team to limit your ability to support them or risk your neck. And god help you if you have no tanky items.

TheLittlestLulu

02-05-2013

I mean I guess compare some of the better support's utility to Zilean's. Zilean's speed boosts and slows have a set distance. Zilean's range on his slow is exactly the same as Jax's leap, so Jax can just leap and stun you.

Meanwhile supports like Janna and Lulu have abilities that don't have a defined range. Janna and Lulu have a knockup/slow respectively that they can use to kite people without worrying about getting too close to nasty things like leaps and dashes since their spells are an untargeted projectile that can be thrown behind them. All of Zilean's spells are targeted so he always has to get in a set range of his target to use them.

Oh yeah forgot this forum doesn't have automerge.

Volandum

02-05-2013

Your team really needs to collapse on divers and murder them, I feel.

ricedream5

02-05-2013

Because they don't do damage, and aren't truly tanky enough from items alone with no defensive steroids to be tanks. Teams are full of damage, and full tanky supports are basically making it into a 3v4 for your team. Yes, you can polymorph for 2.5s, but you've only made it into a 3v3 for 2.5s. After that, it becomes 3v4 again. Yes, you can give 600 health, but that disappears in about .1s. Of course, a couple of supports are still strong, but not nearly as before imo. Also, because of more assassins that you see around, it's harder to protect your squishies.