Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Learning frustrations

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Granis25

02-05-2013

So, I'm not exactly new to the game, but you can probably best describe me as someone who is still struggling.

Now, I've reached out to people to "help me" before, but whatever they've said kinda flew over my head in the few amounts of times I've actually gotten to talk to people about improving. And I've ran into a corner in terms of finding anyone else for advice.

At this point I'm afraid to even play because I usually just ask what role isn't taken and just play what the team need, reguardless of my own experience, I do what I'm told, well, to the best of my abilty anyway, but people still rage at me, call me a troll, etc.

Sometimes I have a rough early game and feed, other time I think I do pretty well early (compared to other early games) but get destroyed mid to late.

At a loss for what to do, I wound up buying an hour of coaching from a professional. now, personally I think it's just neat and worth the price to talk to a bigger/stronger player, I don't know if what the coach will say will fly over my head as much as the other advice I've gotten from people trying to teach me for free.

I feel nervous every time I sit down to play, but, should I look forward to the coaching I paid for and keep with it? I'm only Summoner level 19, by the way.

RealMouse

02-05-2013

you can add me as a buddy, ill help you as best as i can, and i don't rage either

Realmouse

squeek

TehomCD

02-05-2013

I can't say whether the coaching will be worth it/helpful to you; I suppose it depends on the coach and how accurately they're able to assess the areas you most need improvement.

My recommendation is to try to find one or two champions of each role, and read recently-written guides on them by high Elo/expert players, and become intimately familiar with them. Becoming very comfortable with a few champs can be very important for having a successful laning phase, since knowing how to play a given matchup (your favorite champ vs a different one) can be crucially important, and can let you have a good feel for how to build them in a given game. Aside from that, areas you can improve on are mechanics (last hitting, positioning, how you use your abilities - the flashy stuff people usually think of as 'skill'), tactical play (knowing whether you should fight in a given area based on how players are positioned, knowing which team is stronger based on the champions involved on each team and what items they have and what level they are, keeping track of summoner spell usage), and overall strategy (selecting champions to make a good team composition, knowing where to be on the map at any particular point in the game, knowing what objectives to try to aim for based on how the game is going, etc).

I'd say the biggest thing holding you back is just being scared of disappointing your teams. People will rage at you for having bad games: in a recent game, I had to put an Ezreal on ignore for raging at me when I died to a level 2 jungle gank despite our team winning so decisively that the game was a 20 minute surrender. If I hadn't, I probably would have been distracted by his stupidity and we wouldn't have done nearly as well. Just try to learn from mistakes - when people rage at you in a game, ignore them, and then try to think after the game what you could have done better.

You may want to also consider watching some of the more popular streamers who give commentary as they play games - some of them are very good about explaining their reasoning for why they do things, which can be immensely helpful. Scarra, for example, explains a lot of things he does as a mid-lane, TheOddOne is very entertaining and gives a lot of commentary about the jungle, etc.

wHiSkErTeMx73744

02-05-2013

Hello Granis25, I have met a lot of people like you. People who are afraid or feel discouraged to play, either because they feel they play poorly, or they don't like letting their team down.

I am also one of these people.

I found out, however, the remedy to our insanity.

You have to stop caring.

Stop caring about what others think of you, stop caring about the insults they throw at you, and remind yourself that this is a game, where some people will be bad at the game, and some will be good, and some will keep playing on smurf accounts to pretend that they are good.

This game is difficult. I'm not going to lie. This isn't Skyrim, or Pokemon, or even Final Fantasy, where your mistakes won't make a difference so long as you win. No, no. Every mistake, win or lose, must be accounted for. To be good at the game, you must be able to identify your mistakes. No need for a coach, just critical thinking and perseverence. Think to yourself, "Why did I die" "What am I doing poorly this game." "Why is that?" "Why is that guy doing so well?" "Why did we lose" "How did we win?" Ask yourself these questions, and take notes. Yeah, I know, taking notes for a game, sounds ridiculous. But like anything you've learned at school, to learn this game, you need to take notes (not necessarily on paper, but you don't learn by playing the game like a vegetable).

The biggest issue I can see, is that you are playing champions you are not comfortable with, just because they "fit the role."

Do you wanna know what fits the role better?
A champion you can actually play.
Yeah, that's right. Your team needs a support, but all you can play is Annie? Play Annie then. Playing a champion you actually know how to play will be better for your team than trying to learn a champ on the fly, and this holds more weight the lower your level/elo. At level 19, you still have absolutely nothing to worry about. People may rage more at you initially, but it's better than having them rage at you near the end and convincing everyone to report you (which is at the -end- of the game).

Granis25

02-05-2013

I feel like I can't really focus on one or two champions for a given role, because I feel like I'd cause problems if someone already called something. Like, if someones already doing ranged ADC, that probably means that I can't play Twitch, or if I pick Teemo, they'll tell me to mid (I'm used to bottoming Teemo as an ADC)

Or, when someone else "calls top" and if someone takes ADC I feel like I don't want to be "that guy" that makes duo top happen, so I Jungle just for the sake of having a jungler, even if that role is one of the hardest to learn apparently, given my bad track record with jungling. though my track record with mid is just as bad. (I feed like hell any time I touch any AP mage, like, worse than any of my other roles.)

TehomCD

02-05-2013

Yeah, I think you may just need to learn a top champion, a mid champion, and a jungler that you're comfortable with. Teemo is actually a pretty good top in a lot of cases, so you may want to focus on him there. He's not a great choice for an AD carry because of his short range and lack of a "steroid" for attack speed or attack damage.

For a mid, I'd recommend a champion who's a very strong farmer, since that reduces the burden of being very good at last hitting while learning the champion. Examples there are guys like Mordekaiser, Morgana, Anivia, etc. Basically anyone who can instantly clear creep waves with AE is a good bet.

ThatONeillGuy

02-05-2013

Others in this thread have already given you good, concrete advice, so I'll just chime in to say that--even though it's entirely possible that you're older than I am--your original post has triggered every protective-big-brother instinct I've got.

Here's the thing: I'm a team player. I'm usually the first to switch champs to help fill a gap in our team comp. I pride myself on having the most assists in a match. I actually enjoy playing Support.

But screw those guys you've been getting teamed with. They don't deserve a teammate like you.

Like wHiSkErTeMx73744 says, you have to stop caring so much. It's difficult, I know. When I first started playing (and it's embarrassing to admit this), my heart would thud erratically during every loading screen, and I'd get really bad stomach pains. I was terrified of throwing and looking like an idiot. I'd be lying if I said the anxiety is completely gone now, but it has become negligible, mostly due to two realizations. 1) Unless I friend someone after a game, it's likely I'll never see them again. 2) The vast majority of people in my matches are just as clueless and unskilled as I am.

Just because someone yells at you does not mean they're right. I can't stress that enough. I once had a Nasus criticize my build while he started Doran's Ring, rushed Rabadon's, and spammed his E to last-hit. He also told me to stop buying wards because they're a waste of money. You are under no obligation to listen to the people who rage at you, and doing so may actually hurt your game. Mute as needed and report the really toxic ones.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Feel free to add me if you want. I will never yell at someone because they make a mistake or have an off game, though I am quick to tell a rager to back off.

(Also seconding TehomCD's recommendation to watch TheOddOne. He's hilarious on top of being a great, tactical player. I may end up buying Maokai thanks to him.)

Granis25

02-06-2013

Thanks for the advice. But.... I can't help but feel they're right because of seeing the... umm, facts. bad CS, losing lanes, dying, makes me feel like they were right to be angry with me, which is why I feel like I can't ignore my team. That's why I try to be a team player and admit that I played badly, and otherwise do as my team instructs.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

02-06-2013

It might also help to play with a premade team. Not just for the coaching/advice aspect, but so that you can be "greedy" and keep playing the same role over and over. That will give you a chance to focus on one role/champion and get better at them.

Another thing you could try is playing Dominion. When it first came out, I abandoned Summoners' Rift altogether and played Dominion exclusively for several hundred games. When I decided to go back to just playing SR, I had a lot more confidence in my ability to engage, disengage, 1v1, and teamfight. Dominion is concentrated combat without all the last hitting and warding. And compared to Summoners' Rift, people pay a lot less attention to whether you're making a lot of small misplays. At least that was my experience with it.

ThatONeillGuy

02-06-2013

Raging is never acceptable; your performance is irrelevant.

Have you ever played better because your teammates were yelling at you? If so, you're a rarity. Most people (myself included) do worse. This game is complicated and fast-paced enough as it is. You don't need the added distraction of knowing that your teammates are just waiting to pounce on your every mistake.

Another question: do these people ever give you advice when it can actually help? Things like "wukong snaps into idle when he pops his decoy," or "vi in our jungle. care," or "abyssal pls mumu"? Or is it just a string of "thx for feed akali noob gg," and "This Trist. 45 farm. So pro," and spammed back-pings when you're already dead?

Don't get me wrong. It's good to admit when you've made mistakes, and for most people, that's the hardest part. It's just that no one has the right to rage.

Besides, just glancing through a couple of your recent matches, a lot of your teammates did pretty badly too. Not saying any of them necessarily raged at you, only that you aren't exactly getting Diamond smurfs on your teams. Remember that some people are quick to look for anyone else to blame when they do poorly in a match.