How do I carry a whole team as support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Talbat

02-05-2013

Play an aggressive support or one that can soften your team's mistakes.

Leona, Blitz, Thresh, Taric are all good examples of the former. They can initiate for the kill, they can roam very effectively to help other lanes, and they're usually tanky enough to survive the mid-late game.

Janna and Lulu are good examples of the latter. I typically prefer Lulu, as she has the option to go aggressive easily, but Janna has less option for aggression.

The best supports have amazing peel as well. Being able to keep Kha'Zix off your AD carry is -very important-, as well as being able to disengage when things go sour or when someone gets caught. This is why I don't consider Soraka to be an effective solo-queue support (she's great in coordinated play though).

There's a lot that goes into a strong game as a support, but the basics boil down to:

-Adjusting how well your lane composition can fight versus the enemy's, or picking accordingly. Miss Fortune and Draven are very strong in the early game, so against those champions picking an all-in champion can be a slippery slope (it can work, but it's very difficult). If you're an all-in lane versus a lane that's stronger in engagements, consider asking your jungler for help.

-When your lane is ahead or when your AD carry has backed while you're in good standing, consider roaming to help other lanes. Mid is the easiest to help and usually the best lane to help, as they can roam more effectively. Make sure your AD carry is fine with you leaving the lane! Optionally, you and your ADC can show up mid near the end of the laning phase to push down mid tower.

-Ward where the focus of the game is. Early game, ward your lane, and consider warding your jungle if the enemy is counterjungling, or the enemy's jungle if your jungler is counterjungling. Buy pinks for dragon after your second buy at latest. 20 minutes+, you should always have a mess of wards around baron, and the enemy's entrances to the top river. Buy wards even when you have a sightstone.

-If you -really- distrust your team-mates, play one of the niche supports that can transition to an AP carry role. The best examples of this are Lux and Zyra. This choice is very effective at low ELOs as well, such as when you're going through your placement matches.

-Above all, remember that the best way to anyone can win the game is to do more for your team than the opponent does for theirs.

Sënuch

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGayUsername View Post
I mean, I can carry a bad adc, but how do I carry a bad Riven, Ashe, and Kat all at the same time as Janna.
No single player should expect to carry their team if their team is that bad.

Not even the Carries can carry that.

Unless your enemy team is just bad, but then if that were the case you would not be posting here would you?

Cerocess

02-05-2013

Some helpful support links:
http://www.surrenderat20.net/2013/01...orts.html#more
http://i.imgur.com/fkunE.jpgu

Just carried a game with a feeding mid and feeding jungle with an adc who didn't know when to engage as a Taric. 4/1/22 Taric says "There's no excuse for a loss!" Support with more gold and damage than Mid is luls.

Kenshin Akira

02-05-2013

Become AD Sona.

Shirt Cannon

02-05-2013

Play Taric or Leona who can single out a target. Ping when you stun them and it's basically "ATTACK THIS TARGET NOW" kind of thing.

KiIIerGecko

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumples View Post
you buy all aura items and make motivational speeches.
Actually, that's not to far from the truth. By calling support in champ select, you relieve A LOT of stress from people that don't want to do it, and they can play the roles they are best at.

When ingame, staying positive and making calls can help a lot. Take the leadership role and tell everyone what objective you are doing. Even if they don't listen, having at least 1 teammate listening to you is already a leg up on the enemy.

Making sure your lane doesn't lose, and keeping track of the enemy jungler helps a lot too.

Shadow Master

02-05-2013

You don't. You have to be an aggressive support like Leona, Lulu or Thresh.

Magic Library

02-07-2013

You can't. I remember my first ranked game as support.

I went bot and spoon fed my adc kills. I ended up going 1/13/33 having to tank and support because Rengar wanted to go glass cannon. My adc went 26/2/4. Our team had 35 kills total. Our team also had 56 total deaths. This is the issue most people have with supporting. Not only do you not have any realistic chance to "GET ALLL THE KILLS!!!" but if your team sucks, there is nothing you can do. You can't even be a threat to them because you starved yourself for the team.