Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

MASSIVE Leagues bug EXTREME GLITCH

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkvolcan

02-05-2013

I'm in college and I'm pretty sure our English 101 teacher said you can't put an "s" after a word that already ends with an s, except for cases such as "I want to get all A's this semester"

So Darius's and Varus's is technically wrong. Should be Darius' and Varus'

OXYCLEAN WORKS

02-05-2013

Heinous and unacceptable.

MandyMemory

02-05-2013

Quote:
TwR Phoenix:
Unless their name ends with an "s" than you only use the apostrophe.

Not in English.

Rivini

02-05-2013

Quote:
chuckdeez59:
it's accepted in english language as either way actually darius' or darius's.

the extra s is becoming more acceptable than it used to be.

Because 'muricans find it easier to understand.

Rivini

02-05-2013

Quote:
larryjerry1:
This is English we're speaking

Rules don't apply.

If you want to get technical, we speak American-English, not English. Proper English is spoken in England.

And yes, it's a messed up language and arguably the most difficult to learn because of that.

Oux

02-05-2013

Seriously guys, singular possessive is apostrophe s unless it is "its" or "jesus". Darkvolcan either you didn't listen or your 101 TA sucked because that is a plural possessive. This isn't an opinion. Darius' Wizards is only correct if there are 2 or more Darius that own those particular wizards. It boggles the mind to think people think this is a style thing or optional. Singular and plural, it would be like saying you can use 'is' and 'are' interchangeably.

An example:

Darius is OP./ Darius are OP.(wrong)
Darius and Thresh are OP./ Darius and Thresh is OP.(wrong)

Darius's Wizards/ Darius' Wizards (wrong)
League of Legends' Wizards/ League of Legends's Wizards (wrong)

See how that works?

WarlordAlpha

Recruiter

02-05-2013

Quote:
Oux:
See how that works?

Yes, although this is like the fourth different rule presented in this thread.

Alice Twilight

02-05-2013

Quote:
WhattayaBrian:
I'm bad at English

fify

Oux

02-05-2013

Those aren't rules, those are "A guy I was drinking with told me that his friend's 6th grade English instructor said..." Or, more likely, people that think they know the rules of grammar because they are a native speaker and can't imagine they have been doing it wrong for their entire life. Put those in stone, that is how the language works and is understood. Otherwise, no one outside of context would be able to tell singular from plural and that would be madness.

WarlordAlpha

Recruiter

02-05-2013

Quote:
Oux:
Or, more likely, people that think they know the rules of grammar because they are a native speaker and can't imagine they have been doing it wrong for their entire life.

Well, to be fair, language does change over time. For example, there's the whole "ironic" thing where it's being used in the wrong context but at this point everyone just kind of accepts it.

In this case all I know is what I was taught (or, think I was taught?).