MASSIVE Leagues bug EXTREME GLITCH

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kody119

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meribia View Post
Please tell me you're joking lol.
right, thanks.

there's a reason I hate writing, and why i need to pay attention to the class :P

my spelling is bad, but my grammar is good. (usually)

Kraion

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlordAlpha View Post
Lol? I haven't been proven wrong, it's just been proven that both ways are correct. So, if you will, I was incorrect in assuming that the extra s was incorrect, but I was correct in assuming that the "s" could/should be removed.

I still think that

Darius'

looks much better than

Darius's

which seems like it wants you to pronounce the "s" twice.

Also, it seems to me like you can't take a joke thread seriously. No, I don't care if it's fixed or not, but I do think the other way is better.
*shrug* You made a thread about an alleged mistake in punctuation. However, it's not a mistake; it's a stylistic preference. The difference being, of course, that an arbitrary preference cannot be "right" or "wrong." If you prefer it to look one way, that's fine, but let's not pretend you knew that from the beginning.

Quote:
WRONG SIR!

he's correct, in the case of an S at the end of a name that is NOT PLURAL you just put an apostrophe, there is no need for the extra S and is horrible grammar and will get you marked down on collage papers.
It's stylistic. Some style books call for the extra S while others do not. It depends on the subject matter and your professor's choice. In most circumstances, it's completely arbitrary. Historically, the extra S is actually more common. But I don't suppose you'd know much about this sort of thing, seeing as you don't know how to spell college.

edit: Ah, thanks for correcting that misspelling. We don't want you to accidentally look foolish, do we? Also, thank you for citing your source of a stylebook, thus proving my point.

Kody119

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraion View Post

It's stylistic. Some style books call for the extra S while others do not. It depends on the subject matter and your professor's choice. In most circumstances, it's completely arbitrary. Historically, the extra S is actually more common. But I don't suppose you'd know much about this sort of thing, seeing as you don't know how to spell college.

I noticed my mistake as i read the post under mine, calm down. Also I do know that it is more common, however recently it appears to be more widely accepted to leave off the S for possessive singular nouns.

besides, this is a joke thread have some fun will you?

Weedlayer

02-05-2013

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/possessives.htm

"Some writers will say that the -s after Charles' is not necessary and that adding only the apostrophe (Charles' car) will suffice to show possession. Consistency is the key here: if you choose not to add the -s after a noun that already ends in s, do so consistently throughout your text. William Strunk's Elements of Style recommends adding the 's. (In fact, oddly enough, it's Rule Number One in Strunk's "Elementary Rules of Usage.")"

It's fine.

Kraion

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody119 View Post
I noticed my mistake as i read the post under mine, calm down. Also I do know that it is more common, however recently it appears to be more widely accepted to leave off the S for possessive singular nouns.

besides, this is a joke thread have some fun will you?
I'm all for fun. But I'm also for education, and calling out mistakes--when they are not actually mistakes--makes me a sad panda. I don't want people to get false information.

Sanderpower

02-05-2013

It's darius' and varus'
not darius's dasfnlnlnkgrammarnazi!lanf;sndfkl

Kody119

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraion View Post
I'm all for fun. But I'm also for education, and calling out mistakes--when they are not actually mistakes--makes me a sad panda. I don't want people to get false information.

Hey, until it's changed out of the APA stylebook, chances are that the things that "are not actually mistakes" are still read as them by most people. By this I mean that I have yet to find a formal paper writing style used for schooling that suggests the 's over the ' alone.

Kraion

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody119 View Post
Hey, until it's changed out of the APA stylebook, chances are that the things that "are not actually mistakes" are still read as them by most people. By this I mean that I have yet to find a formal paper writing style used for schooling that suggests the 's over the ' alone.
Probably because you're in a major that works with the APA stylebook. And if not, why defer to that one?

Auryiel

02-05-2013

I'm guessing it's because these names are randomly generated

Darius' Wizards?
Like... Really?

WarlordAlpha

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryiel View Post
I'm guessing it's because these names are randomly generated
Absolutely, but still. It would be easy enough to provide an exception to that extra "s" if the name already ended in s. Like, come on Riot, fix your code.

1234567 ... 12