@Riot bots are too hard for new players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

slamor

02-05-2013

What is a game without a challenge squeezy? It is also good that you did not break the terms of service by account sharing. Even your wife will be laughing at how easy the beginner bots are in 30 or so games. Try having her watch you smash the bots and convince her it is easy. Part of the problem is that she is playing ziggs (100% skillshot based). Have her try teemo, he is cute and is a LOT easier to play.

Rumble Bot

02-05-2013

Hey guys what's up?

BloodworksInc

02-05-2013

When I first started, with my first champion - Ashe - she was in free rotation that week. I remember the first 5 games I played, I didn't buy a single item. I didn't think I needed to.

This was before the newer tutorials they have now, mind you.

Bot games can be a bit daunting to someone who hasn't played a MOBA, I myself was one of those people. My suggestion to you, since you are unable to play alongside her - would be for her to try some Custom games.

And for her to set specific bots on her team, and the opposing. It will help her ease into it slower than normal Co-Op Beginner games. My suggestion would be;

Her -Whoever she uses-
Miss Fortune Bot
Soraka Bot
Nunu Bot
And either Lux Bot or Ashe Bot

Against;

Ryze Bot
Annie or Ashe Bot
Xin Bot
Renekton Bot
Sona Bot

That, should, be a slower introduction to things. Still with some challenges late game, but with enough back up to hopefully help propel her through.

CapnSmith

02-05-2013

I may be mistaken, but I have always been under the impression that bots generated through a custom game are much easier than even the beginner ones in co-op. Moreover, you can choose to stack the team in your favor in those custom games as well as pick the bots you want to play against (Annie bot is best bot!) If she's still having trouble, try that.

White Pony

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamor View Post
What is a game without a challenge squeezy? It is also good that you did not break the terms of service by account sharing. Even your wife will be laughing at how easy the beginner bots are in 30 or so games. Try having her watch you smash the bots and convince her it is easy. Part of the problem is that she is playing ziggs. Have her try teemo, he is cute and is a LOT easier to play.
Its a work in progress. She's a panda addict, so I'm fairly sure I can sell her on both annie and teemo.

As far as coaching her, she's the type that wants to figure things out on her own. I gave her links to mobafire and solomid, she uses those for guides since she doesn't know item builds.

She's getting the hang of it, but the point is that I'm sure there are beginning players out there who would face check some beginner bots thinking they'll be learning the mechanics of the game, realize how difficult the beginner bots are, and be deterred from continuing their league experience based on that first impression alone.

I mean... how hard would it be to change the name of the difficulty of the current bots to "intermediate" and "hard" and then just code a bunch of target-practice pincushions and make that difficulty "beginner"?

slamor

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezy102 View Post
Its a work in progress. She's a panda addict, so I'm fairly sure I can sell her on both annie and teemo.

As far as coaching her, she's the type that wants to figure things out on her own. I gave her links to mobafire and solomid, she uses those for guides since she doesn't know item builds.

She's getting the hang of it, but the point is that I'm sure there are beginning players out there who would face check some beginner bots thinking they'll be learning the mechanics of the game, realize how difficult the beginner bots are, and be deterred from continuing their league experience based on that first impression alone.

I mean... how hard would it be to change the name of the difficulty of the current bots to "intermediate" and "hard" and then just code a bunch of target-practice pincushions and make that difficulty "beginner"?
I think riot has the beginner difficulty bots as they are for a reason. I am sure riot has done surveys and narrowed down the optimal difficulty for new players. 95% of new players that try end up putting up a decent fight in their second game against beginner bots. The difficulty you want requires players to die to the turret if they even have a chance of dying.

White Pony

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamor View Post
I think riot has the beginner difficulty bots as they are for a reason. I am sure riot has done surveys and narrowed down the optimal difficulty for new players. 95% of new players that try end up putting up a decent fight in their second game against beginner bots. The difficulty you want requires players to die to the turret if they even have a chance of dying.
Ok.... but my wife.... who plain and simply does not play video games....
do you see where I'm going with this?

And I don't believe for a second I'm the only guy who's ever introduced his wife/girlfriend to League of Legends. I also don't believe for a second that my wife is the only person who's literally never even heard of a MOBA, let alone played one.

Its about expanding player base. The bots that are there currently, indeed, are easy enough for anyone with any kind of video game experience under their belts. The question is, why not be even friendlier to your brand new, inexperienced player base by implementing the change that I mentioned? Make easy bots easier, and change the names of the other two difficulties. That way, if someone has some experience in gaming already, and they play against the beginner bots and they're just too damn easy, they can back out of the game and face intermediate bots or hard bots.

In the same sentence, those people who come to the game with literally zero experience aren't scared away by the, in my opinion, much too difficult current "beginner" bots.

Everybody wins.

slamor

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezy102 View Post
Ok.... but my wife.... who plain and simply does not play video games....
do you see where I'm going with this?

And I don't believe for a second I'm the only guy who's ever introduced his wife/girlfriend to League of Legends. I also don't believe for a second that my wife is the only person who's literally never even heard of a MOBA, let alone played one.

Its about expanding player base. The bots that are there currently, indeed, are easy enough for anyone with any kind of video game experience under their belts. The question is, why not be even friendlier to your brand new, inexperienced player base by implementing the change that I mentioned? Make easy bots easier, and change the names of the other two difficulties. That way, if someone has some experience in gaming already, and they play against the beginner bots and they're just too damn easy, they can back out of the game and face intermediate bots or hard bots.

In the same sentence, those people who come to the game with literally zero experience aren't scared away by the, in my opinion, much too difficult current "beginner" bots.

Everybody wins.
Never having played a video game before is going to bite you pretty hard anywhere lols. Riot could make a new bot class for anyone who has not played video games in general. The only problem would be horrendous que times as only the ones who struggle would do it which is a very low percent of the playerbase. I would not mind going in lane with her and working with her to become better. It does not matter how badly she plays, I can always solo push one lane and basically win it. Did she meat karthus yet?

Ms Arduenna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Beginner bots ARE too hard for new players, yes. I'd like to see them dumbed down a little or a "casual bot" setting that's for first time MOBA players and new gamers.

Tutorial for jungle would be sweet too.

slamor

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arduenna View Post
Beginner bots ARE too hard for new players, yes. I'd like to see them dumbed down a little or a "casual bot" setting that's for first time MOBA players and new gamers.

Tutorial for jungle would be sweet too.
Surely blue buff giving infinite mana and having 20% CDR is not relevant to new players riot games says. I never found beginner bots to beat me that badly when I first stared LOL and this was my first MOBA. Lose 5 games, I learn that just stun bots under turret for win lols.