Who should ward?

Support and/or Jungler 7 10.29%
Everyone 60 88.24%
Other 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Who should ward?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hirumonogatari

02-06-2013

let me just say that wards dont help a team that doesn't look at the minimap. i've actually seen 3 wards in the river from mid all the way to bot, and adcs who continue to farm without a care in the world when mid or jungler comes down.

before you ask, yea, there were pings too.

Cenerae

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
It can depending on when you're buying. I hate buying wards as the adc if I haven't built my first 3 items, but I've also won games because I warded as the adc because my support was lacking. I've also gotten behind by doing so and lost, but no other role is as dependent on items as an adc to fill their role.
You could make that argument for all primary damage dealers. It does boil down to the simple question of 'do we need more map control, and do I have 75g and a free slot to help with this?' Usually, your support will cover all the important locations, but you can't expect them to buy extra wards on top of what they're already providing (assumming they're doing their job properly), and this is where the rest of the team should help out. Yes, even the carries.

Map control wins games far more often than that 75g for the carry would.

Etherimp

02-06-2013

Everyone.

Top lane should cover Tri-Bush/Baron/Top River Jungle Entrance (1 ward)

Bot Lane should cover Dragon/Tri-bush/Bottom jungle entrance (2 wards)

Mid should cover the S bush and/or the Wraith ramp leading into the jungle (1-2 wards)

IF all of those places are covered, it allows the Jungler to ward aggressively (Enemy Blue/Red)

IF all of those places are NOT covered, the Jungler has to dedicate his/her wards to any spots which are not covered. Priority being on Dragon and protecting his own jungle from invasion (wraith ramp)

That's 5-6 wards per 3 minutes of game time.. Those 5-6 wards absolutely ensure that you will be protected from ganks and jungle invasion. 5x75 = 375 gold. 375 gold to prevent jungle invasion, jungler ganks, and to facilitate in counter-jungling and counter-ganking is more than a worthwhile investment.

Also, if you're an AD carry, you can still (and should still) buy wards. This emphasis on the Carry dedicating 100% of their gold income to items is down right stupid. Of course they should not be buying as many wards as the Support/Jungler, but if you just got a BF Sword and T2 boots, and you have 120 gold left over, why not buy a Ward and a health pot or two? I do this often. It helps me pick up kills or prevent ganks when my Support either runs out of wards, or I simply need vision in a spot like lane bush.

TheGrayBuffoon

02-06-2013

As one who usually supports I heartily agree that everyone should ward BUT trying to convince the majority of players that I have run into that this is a great tactic is another thing, i.e." you're the support its your job to ward; I need the gold to buy items."

Oz SammyD X

02-06-2013

Everyone except your ADC, better off having them spend all his/her money on damage.

Theungry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2013

Everyone should ward. ADC shouldn't buy as many wards, but if they shop and have more than 75 and less than 200g left over, they should absolutely buy 1 or 2 wards. More-over everyone should know the gold mark they want to hit before shopping next and try to add a ward buffer to that next item price.

Direw0lf

02-06-2013

I agree that everyone can and should ward. If you have 75g and an open slot you will not only save your own skin but provide the opportunity to secure kills.

When I play I often start a "buy a ward, save a life" campaign.

I'm only a silver player atm so tell me what you think of this: playing support I will often draw an imaginary line acroas the map where my minions and the enemy minons meet at that point in the game. I then ward the major choak points along that line. This helps me not face check bushes too far ahead of line of scrimage (if you will). It also helps to not place wards in wasteful places.

Ex: if you are almost getting pushed into your base just ward some close choaks in your own jungle. If the the minons are evenly pushed then the choaks in the river, and if you are pushing into the enemy base. The top and bot can obviously be unbalanced but I still ward on that line.

What do you think? Is that a pretty standad way to ward?

tehmadflip

02-06-2013

It is everyones job to ward as they can. This doesnt mean that the ADC should buy 5 wards on their first back, but picking up a ward as an ADC could let the support get cloth or other aegis components earlier instead of the extra wards.
Wards benefit the team as a whole, and if you are part of a team, and can benefit everyone, why should you not pitch in.

Qsario

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Crann View Post
I've always been of the philosophy that everybody wards, but what makes the support unique is that he or she is the one responsible for pink wards.
While it's good if the support does that, junglers may want to pink ward the river / tribush to permit more ganks. I've also seen some junglers pink ward top to really pressure them.

Bob D Tigr

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
let me just say that wards dont help a team that doesn't look at the minimap. i've actually seen 3 wards in the river from mid all the way to bot, and adcs who continue to farm without a care in the world when mid or jungler comes down.

before you ask, yea, there were pings too.
This, so much too.
I played a game some time ago where I was supporting and we were being heavily ganked by the other team's jungler. Even though I had set up wards in bot bush, tribush and dragon we still were ganked 5 times.

I think by the second gank we had gotten pretty desperate for a kills, which kept us open for ganks, although half the time after a quarrel and we had gone behind turret to recall, the jungler would just pop out of the tribush and turret dive to finish us off *sigh*
I still have much to learn, clearly.