Who should ward?

Support and/or Jungler 7 10.45%
Everyone 59 88.06%
Other 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Who should ward?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bob D Tigr

02-05-2013

Hi :3
I'm new to these forums, not to the game. I recently watched an after-game chat between both teams debating who should be in charge of warding- just the support and/or jungler, or everyone.

Now I understand that it's fairly vital to ward during the laning phase as there is a high chance of ganks, however I was taught that the jungler should be setting up a couple wards in the river or in other parts of the jungle and support would take care of bot lane. Any other problems would be solved by MIAs or even just plain out map awareness.

My issue with everyone warding is that it can be a drain on gold in the long run. For supports or junglers it shouldn't be a problem, but for AD and AP champs who need to raise their stats as quickly and as efficiently as possibly it just seems a waste to spend gold on wards if you could have a certain role in charge of it.

Of course, I'm still learning and these are just my two cents. I was interested in seeing other people's thoughts on the topic though.

Have a nice day :]

GundayMonday

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

In a high level game, everyone wards. Let me explain why. Think of the game as one big teeter-totter with each team at one end. The more gold you have, the heavier you are. When you're significantly heavier than the other team, you tend to win team fights, take objectives, and win games more often.

What does this have to do with warding?

When an enemy kills you they gain +300 gold plus extra assist gold, and you lose gold you would have earned from farming creeps while you're dead. If you think of this in terms of the teeter totter, dying causes the enemy team to shift the balance in their favor by ~+500 gold if they clear an extra wave of creeps with decent last hitting while you wait to respawn.

Sure a ward costs you -75g. But it lets you see the enemy jungler and stop that +500 enemy swing from happening, so you're essentially paying 75g to not lose an extra 425g.

Plus, if your enemy doesn't invest in wards, then your jungler can swing by, pick up a kill for you and put your team up +500g.

The only player that shouldn't be warding is the adc since they have a support who's only job is to ward. But that doesn't mean that they can't ward if they have an extra 75g laying around. Vision sets up kills. Investing 75g for a 300g kill that you wouldn't have gotten without the ward is worthwhile in my eyes.

Make sense?

TheOnlyJaces

02-05-2013

The previous post explained it all

Qsario

02-05-2013

I wouldn't say that warding is our *only* job, but he's right that everyone wards. The support can't be everywhere and non-suicidal tops should be putting a ward in river or tribush unless they want to encourage the jungler to camp.

But if people are struggling or can't ward, it's great to help them. Support can help ward the jungle entrances, especially if the jungler is getting counter-jungled. Mid can help ward around there so that people see the mid roaming. Heck, I've gone as support all the way to top lane to counter-pink a river bush ward because they were planning to camp top and I was the only one with a pink handy.

Bob D Tigr

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundayMonday View Post
In a high level game, everyone wards. Let me explain why. Think of the game as one big teeter-totter with each team at one end. The more gold you have, the heavier you are. When you're significantly heavier than the other team, you tend to win team fights, take objectives, and win games more often.

What does this have to do with warding?

When an enemy kills you they gain +300 gold plus extra assist gold, and you lose gold you would have earned from farming creeps while you're dead. If you think of this in terms of the teeter totter, dying causes the enemy team to shift the balance in their favor by ~+500 gold if they clear an extra wave of creeps with decent last hitting while you wait to respawn.

Sure a ward costs you -75g. But it lets you see the enemy jungler and stop that +500 enemy swing from happening, so you're essentially paying 75g to not lose an extra 425g.

Plus, if your enemy doesn't invest in wards, then your jungler can swing by, pick up a kill for you and put your team up +500g.

The only player that shouldn't be warding is the adc since they have a support who's only job is to ward. But that doesn't mean that they can't ward if they have an extra 75g laying around. Vision sets up kills. Investing 75g for a 300g kill that you wouldn't have gotten without the ward is worthwhile in my eyes.

Make sense?
Ty for the explanation, it definitely makes a lot more sense to me now. Maybe I haven't been playing long enough to see this, since I'm still at the point where warding isn't completely common (though I do my best as support/jungler)

Nowiser

02-05-2013

That post sums it up. Even looking at it from the standpoint of 10 wards that = 750g, what item swings a game for 750g MORE than getting caught out in open and getting killed?

Staying alive is the name of the game, I would be shocked if a team ever had 0 team deaths and lost. (I know 0 deaths alone would be incredible)

Crazy Crann

02-05-2013

I've always been of the philosophy that everybody wards, but what makes the support unique is that he or she is the one responsible for pink wards.

This works best in my mind because the support naturally benefits most from the +25 gold for clearing enemy wards. Further, the support is the least likely to need the larger sum (125) of gold that would be used in pink wards on the team.

As a general rule, when I run jungle I always take responsibility for warding my jungle entrances (if you place wards right, you can also help out your mid by giving him some visibility, too) and, as the game progresses, enemy points of interest. I also tend to switch off with support in warding key objectives like Baron and Dragon.

As a general rule, when I top, I keep my river/tribush warded so I know when the enemy jungle or mid is roaming up my way for a gank.

As others have said here, think of wards as an investment in your survivability, and then that 75 gold doesn't seem like such a waste. Especially when you consider you can recoup it by killing, essentially, three minions.

Lastly, wards can also set up kills. I can't think of the number of times a ward at Baron has netted my team a pick-off of a stray jungler, farming ADC, or roaming mid who was moving between lanes, thus setting the team back in experience and farm, giving my team a gold advantage, and easing up some of the pressure on lanes or even enabling a hard push.

Map awareness wins games. Wards help to enhance your map awareness. Ergo, wards must win games.

Alexfrog

02-05-2013

Needs an option for everyone except the adc.

Cenerae

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexfrog View Post
Needs an option for everyone except the adc.
AD carry can buy wards too.

If you have 75g and a free slot, what harm is it going to do? Not like you're going to delay your build much is it?

SeCKS Egai

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
AD carry can buy wards too.

If you have 75g and a free slot, what harm is it going to do? Not like you're going to delay your build much is it?
It can depending on when you're buying. I hate buying wards as the adc if I haven't built my first 3 items, but I've also won games because I warded as the adc because my support was lacking. I've also gotten behind by doing so and lost, but no other role is as dependent on items as an adc to fill their role.