How to deal with poor people?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lukertin

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe tay toes View Post
they're more likely to rob someone who pulls out their wallet and has decent money inside. they're most likely to jump someone who snarks them.

i just tell them no, or tell them i don't have cash if i actually don't have any, and keep them in my peripheral vision for a while walking away.
I ignore them, like the dirt they are. Learn to take your rightful place in society.

Shirtl0l

02-05-2013

Just because someone is living on the streets doesn't necessarily mean they've made bad decisions to end up there. Some people choose and are content with that lifestyle and to them it doesn't make sense to hold a job to pay for simple pleasures.

What is there to deal with? If you're sitting good on money and are feeling charitable you can make someones day with just a few bucks.

If you're not feeling charitable or simply don't have the money say you're sorry but bills are tight.

There's no need to be rude to them... they're just people.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukertin View Post
Because the latter have no sense of self-worth. If I could make more money begging than working my job, I would quit my job yesterday and beg it up.
There is a couple in Ashland, OR that clears something near $90,000 a year begging. Since they are legally "Charitable Donations", they don't have to pay taxes either. They were featured in a few news reports...

Cheshire Lunacy

02-05-2013

I just tell them I bought everything on debit. wich is true any ways. I don't keep cash on me any more.

where i live there is a vast supply of meth heads/ tweekers. and a varrying supply of huffers and heroin addicts.

I tend to avoid them.

though one time i did give a guy 10 bucks just for his honesty on what he was gonna do with it.

Just told him not to drink and drive.

(he asked me for a cupple of bucks so he could get a 24pack for him and his buddies (it was a friday night)

EasymodeX

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaMinor View Post
I wasn't going to give them money either way. But does it help to acknowledge them or not? I don't want to be robbed.
If you acknowledge them, you make it personal. If you completely ignore them, you're rude.

So just brush them off politely but casually / with disinterest.

Reconsul

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaMinor View Post
Exactly, why give them money for drugs/booze?
Because they're poor, and it makes them happy.

Kroda13

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconsul View Post
no all it does is encourage them to keep begging for money

lukertin

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconsul View Post
If giving is better than receiving, the poor should give me money to make themselves even happier.

Ashelon

02-06-2013

Best to respond, nobody likes being snubbed, and if someone wants to rob you they'll do it whether you respond or not. If someone is snubbed, they're more likely to rob/jump you.

Ashelon

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtl0l View Post
Just because someone is living on the streets doesn't necessarily mean they've made bad decisions to end up there. Some people choose and are content with that lifestyle and to them it doesn't make sense to hold a job to pay for simple pleasures.

What is there to deal with? If you're sitting good on money and are feeling charitable you can make someones day with just a few bucks.

If you're not feeling charitable or simply don't have the money say you're sorry but bills are tight.

There's no need to be rude to them... they're just people.
If someone is gonna use the money for drugs/booze, you would just be helping them make their lives worse. As long as they're doped up, they'll never get anywhere. And there are places where they can get room and board anyway.