Gangplank buff ideas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unique Traveler

02-07-2013

*Reads about making Parrley like Bladesurge*....Well, better nerf Irelia and buff Gangplank.

SilentEternal1

02-07-2013

Quote:
*Reads about making Parrley like Bladesurge*....Well, better nerf Irelia and buff Gangplank.
I didn't mean the full bladesurge treament. I don't know Irelia's state right now, though I doubt it's good since I haven't seen much of her. But I figure halving Parrley's cooldown would help him farm without making him overpowered. Besides, that's not a change I'd be hugely in favor of. Parrley's already in a good spot, mostly.

Quote:
Make Raise Morale and Scurvy able to be cast while moving for one. A potential idea that I've been kicking around would be to make it so using Parrrley on an opponent with stacks of grog would have different effects for the number of stacks. At one stack it would increase the slow, at two stacks, it could pop for more damage, and at three, it would set them on fire for a mini ignite and a half second of fear or something. It'd make his sole attack skill have some more oomph, and if you increase his armor/health then you could phase him out of straddling the line between a melee carry and a tanky DPS. Thoughts?
I think this change to the Parrley/Grog interaction might be interesting. It'd change up his passive to be more interesting, and an healing debuff would be an interesting throwback to the old passive effect. That said, I think it'd be too powerful, since you could potentially keep the debuff on them perpetually.

As for the fear, I don't think that's really in keeping with Gangplank's theme, plus, it'd only make sense if the fear consumed the grog stack, since otherwise you could fear them every 3 sec.

Maybe something to do with Grog would be to make it scale geometrically with stacks? For example 1 stack does x damage, two stacks does 3x damage, and three stacks does 9x damage. That'd give oomph to the passive in longer exchanges, without buffing his damage from random Parrley harass. Thoughts?

Pilige

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

If his passive and ult did physical damage and got AD scales, you could use Black Cleaver to great effect and use GP almost as a long range assassin.

SilentEternal1

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilige View Post
If his passive and ult did physical damage and got AD scales, you could use Black Cleaver to great effect and use GP almost as a long range assassin.
That's a pretty cool idea. I like it.

DONGCART

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEternal1 View Post
I think this change to the Parrley/Grog interaction might be interesting. It'd change up his passive to be more interesting, and an healing debuff would be an interesting throwback to the old passive effect. That said, I think it'd be too powerful, since you could potentially keep the debuff on them perpetually.

As for the fear, I don't think that's really in keeping with Gangplank's theme, plus, it'd only make sense if the fear consumed the grog stack, since otherwise you could fear them every 3 sec.
It would consume the stacks, sorry if that wasn't clear. The fear comes from the sudden surprise in having a lot of whiskey that you've been doused with suddenly burst into flames.

Quote:
Maybe something to do with Grog would be to make it scale geometrically with stacks? For example 1 stack does x damage, two stacks does 3x damage, and three stacks does 9x damage. That'd give oomph to the passive in longer exchanges, without buffing his damage from random Parrley harass. Thoughts?
Would that mean Grog itself or something with Parrrley? Would this go hand in hand with the idea of potentially making Grog scale with AD? Also I agree that his ult should at least partially scale with AD.

SoberToaster

02-07-2013

Got out of yet another losing game. It's gross because at one point I was a level higher top (thx to a strong jungler) had blatantly better items. sheen, dagger where as they had armor boots (thats it). and they still (elise) beat me in range trade off damage and ended up dominating.
pretty much ANY character beats gp nowadays except for the ones that cant really fight back early game (sing, shen) which is pitiful.

Darkotas

02-08-2013

Personally, I think the only buffs he needs are the cast time removals on w + e and being tankier early. He has one of the best lvl 1-3 in the game, but until he reaches late he tends to be lackluster due to how easily he dies. Perhaps a passive on his w that worked something like Drunken Rage would help, something like "Gangplank takes X% less damage while not afflicted by Scurvy." It would give him a choice to keep the cd and be able to heal/clear CC or take the damage reduction at more if a risk.

Darkotas

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberToaster View Post
Got out of yet another losing game. It's gross because at one point I was a level higher top (thx to a strong jungler) had blatantly better items. sheen, dagger where as they had armor boots (thats it). and they still (elise) beat me in range trade off damage and ended up dominating.
pretty much ANY character beats gp nowadays except for the ones that cant really fight back early game (sing, shen) which is pitiful.
Elise tends to be hard for everyone with her % poke, it's not just GP. Best option if you know you will be facing Elise is to go full out Bankplank and potion/W your way out of poke. Kill her at 30 mins with your full build or whenever laning ends for other side.

As for most matchups, the key is to abuse your passive extremely early. Establish dominance lvl 1 or 2 and zone the enemy until you can comfortably fight them. Careful trying this with a Darius or something, though, he may kill you if you don't kite

SilentEternal1

02-08-2013

Quote:
Would that mean Grog itself or something with Parrrley? Would this go hand in hand with the idea of potentially making Grog scale with AD? Also I agree that his ult should at least partially scale with AD.
Yeah, I figured it'd just be for Grog itself. The idea being that if you just parrley them, the 1 stack of grog would do normal damage, but if you have a longer exchange, he gets more stacks on you, which hurts a lot more, since stack damage doesn't scale linearly. No one's afraid of having a short engagement with a GP, since once he parrley's you, all his burst is done. This might help put some fear back into it. If they did that, though, they'd have to be careful with letting his passive scale, since every 1 extra damage at one stack would make for 9 damage at 3 stacks, which adds up fast.

His ult should scale with AD, for sure. A GP who builds more AP than you might find on a Frozen Gauntlet or something deserves to on the receiving end of a Parrley, because that's not smart at all.