Gangplank buff ideas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SilentEternal1

02-05-2013

[TLR] Make his passive scale with his health, Lower the rank 3 cd on his ultimate.

I love Gangplank, but I feel like he is too weak, mostly because he does too little damage late game, and is too easily shut down and countered in lane. I have several ideas that, taken together, would make him OP, but considered piecemeal, might be good food for thought.

Passive I like the flavor of GP's passive, but I feel it is too weak, especially in terms of damage. I know that the slow on his passive is supposed to be its main point, but I don't think that that means its damage should be trivial. Darius' passive scales with his ad, stacks higher, and increases his movement speed, which is comparable to GP's slow. Draven's passive stacks indefinitely, if you can keep catchin axes. Twitch's deals true damage, and all three of them have good intereactions between their passives and other abilities.

Thus, I suggest making Gangplank's passive scale with his health, either total or bonus. Crit focused Gangplanks don't need much of a damage buff, and this won't make them too powerful. However, tank focused GP sufferes from terrible damage, and this would help to keep him relevant later into the game.

Parrley Parrley's in a pretty good place right now. It doesn't really need anything, but if I were to suggest something, it'd come from the fact that GP is often forced to farm away from his creep line, and has terrible wave clear. So I'd suggest giving Parrley the bladesurge treatment, and halve the cooldown when it lands a killing blow. This will allow GP to farm more consistently and safely.

Remove Scurvy Remove Scurvy is a cool ability, but its heal is so small in comparison to its cooldown, mana cost, and utility that it really provides a false choice. It tempts players into attempting to use it for sustain, when that is almost universally the wrong choice. In addition, for bruiser gangplanks especially, the heal becomes truly trivial as the game goes on. Thus smart players only ever put one rank in it, making for uninteresting lvling options.

Thus, I'd suggest making it heal for a percentage of GP's health. This would help to provide a meaningful choice between using it for sustain and saving it for cc removal. It would also help it to maintain relevance into the later game, for bruiser builds.

I'd also suggest adding a passive to it. My personal choice would be cooldown reduction, which would greatly aid GP in general. I've also considered crit chance, or damage reduction. The presence of a passive would help to encourage people to put points in the skill, making more varied leveling paths for GP.

Raise Morale Raise Morale is awesome. Except for one thing, which I think every GP player agrees on. GP should not have to stop to use the active. Especially at lower levels, it's nebulous whether the time lost casting the ability is made up for by the movement speed buff, and makes using it to chase or escape is risky. I'd suggest giving it the Blood Boil treatment, and allowing it to be cast while moving.

Cannon Barrage GP's ultimate is okay, especially during the laning phase, when it can be hugely helpful for assisting teammates during ganks, or protecting towers from across the map. However, at later levels, its damage becomes trivial, and it serves solely as a low power slow field.

I'd suggest lowering the cooldown on the 3rd rank of Cannon Barrage significantly. I was thinking to Final Spark levels, where it is up for every fight, and twice for extended engagements, allowing frequent use to make up for poor damage. This would allow it to stay a useful tool in the late stages of the game, for aid during team fights, and allowing for exciting snipe attempts. It would also open up remote split pushing options for Gangplank which would provide interesting strategic dynamics, changing the way seiges must be handled against a gangplank, who can push two lanes at once.

davidroo

02-05-2013

agreed

kavinh the third

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

don't fix what's not broken. it doesn't matter if the heal is low the fact that it's a cleanse is what people should be using it for the healing is just a noob trap to burn mana and cd. his ult is fine for what it does sure it's mediocore and doesn't scale unless ur doing a niche build like ap gp but it's global which more then makes up for it.
his passive was nerfed cause it was too strong why would they buff it up again the slow's the most noticible part of it anyways and darius's passive doesn't have that. not to mention gp has a point and click range spell that applies that which makes it easier to stack.

Negrojefe

02-05-2013

Gangplank suffers from the same curse than Ashe, Nasus, Anivia and such.

The huge amount of gap closers and escape mechanism introduced since around mid S2 made the slow on his passive completely worthless, since too many champs can outrun and escape GP easily even after applying.the passive.

Oz SammyD X

02-05-2013

What I like, when last hitting a minion or champ with Q immediately resets the cooldown, so basically no cooldown when killing with the Q, being able to move while casting E is a great idea as well, lower cooldown on his ultimate is also nice, but really this is all he needs just these 3 changes, everything else is fine.

Leave his heal and passive alone, the heal has a cleanse as well which is why it doesn't heal you as much, though lower mana cost on it would be ok but that might be going to far with the buffs.

SoberToaster

02-05-2013

gp needs love.

bump up his attack speed IMO. he is an AD melee carry with **** for attack speed considering he has no dash ability like the other 90% of champions in this game.
and to top it off is one of the squishiest melee's

to top that off, by the time his passive slow is fully stacked the enemy either just laughed and killed gp or made it halfway across the map.
needs to be bumped up a single % imo and kept at 3 stacks.

brb having to physically walk to enemy,
brb by time I'm at the enemy I get popped.

most other bruiser champions do more damage then gangplank who is considered a melee carry. it's laughable. YES his parrley is a good damage spell with range. but his buff is a bit of a joke imo. especially with his poor base stats. considering most other champions like GP have 2 dmg spells instead of 1 and a buff.

SilentEternal1

02-06-2013

Yeah, the power creep in league has hurt gangplank a lot. But I wasn't advocating buffing everything I said. These were meant to be potential solutions, if considered piecemeal.

SilentEternal1

02-07-2013

bump. I wanna see what more people think of these ideas.

I Call ADC Bot

02-07-2013

The only ability that needs to be tweaked is his raise morale. Its more than retarded that a speed boost ability makes you stop momentarily. Aside from that, I would really only tweak his base stats a bit.

DONGCART

02-07-2013

Make Raise Morale and Scurvy able to be cast while moving for one. A potential idea that I've been kicking around would be to make it so using Parrrley on an opponent with stacks of grog would have different effects for the number of stacks. At one stack it would increase the slow, at two stacks, it could pop for more damage, and at three, it would set them on fire for a mini ignite and a half second of fear or something. It'd make his sole attack skill have some more oomph, and if you increase his armor/health then you could phase him out of straddling the line between a melee carry and a tanky DPS. Thoughts?