A positive post about the league system for once.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DIG imadongerpie

02-05-2013

I don't know why there is all this hate on this system. In my opinion (am I allowed to use that word on GD?) the elo system was stagnant, allowed for no real improvement over time. This would then create the illusion of "Elo Hell". With the league system, some may fall divisions, HOWEVER, the ability to climb divisions is much greater than it would be to stay in a division for an entire season.

How exactly does the league system benefit players more than the old elo system?: This system is a system allows for a player to actually be able to improve, and rise through their division, and helps find their proper skill level more efficiently than the old system. It also creates (while some may think this is a false sense) a sense of progress. This makes playing ranked, as well as wanting to improve MUCH easier. For example. you start playing ranked in Bronze division III. After winning 5 games and losing 2, you are at 67 points. This gives the player the feeling that they are closer to advancing, and will promote better, more careful play versus a player feeling they are stuck with a number that doesn't seem to be improving.

Why is there so much hate and criticism on this system?: It is new, and a lot of people don't understand it. The gain/loss IS in fact balanced, and working as intended. Yegg has responded to these issues, especially the topic of league point clamping in division I, which should ease people into understanding how the system works. One thing people need to understand, is that MMR plays a large factor into the League Point gain/loss. Once people understand that once their MMR is in check for their division and that they will then be gaining/losing at proper proportions, the system makes a lot more sense.

Overall: This system is no easy way out. It is not a free diamond. However, it DOES allow for players to develop and improve to the level they belong a lot easier. I for one, have dropped a division since starting, but I feel it is actually helping me realize what I am doing wrong/need to do (such as playing champions I don't feel confident with, due to lack of experience) and I have seen greater success in solo queue. Those who hate the system, I am not here to say "QQ moar" or "you're just bad" because I am not one to tell you what you are to enjoy, and I am certainly not one to talk about skill level, but what I can say, is that it is very easy to see how the new league system greatly benefits player development and ranked play as a whole.

tl;dr : league system is not bad, and working as intended, and once understood, greatly benefits player improvement and development, while not putting players at skill levels they do not belong.

THANKS FOR READING!!!!!!!!!

DIG imadongerpie

02-05-2013

bump to be seen!!!!

Seraphim

The Council

02-05-2013

I agree with this, I've had a positive experience overall as well.

DIG imadongerpie

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
I agree with this, I've had a positive experience overall as well.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I've just been seeing a lot of negative feedback with little to no positive feedback, and I felt a breakdown of why I have enjoyed the system, and the positive aspects it brings was due!

RockSaysPaperOP

02-05-2013

In reality it's just a cosmetic change. You still have elo, they just call it mmr. The league system is a layer on to, but because you get diminished LP for wins and large LP losses when you are in a division above your mmr (elo), raising your mmr is still the primary goal if you want to go up. The people stuck in bronze/silver/gold/plat 5 will still feel good about themselves even if they lose enough games that puts their mmr at a much lower level, which should lower their league. The 5 divisions will be full of people who don't deserve to be there in every tier, and they will be matched with much lower tier people because of it.

Dewtrocity

02-05-2013

I love the new system, if you are gaining 3 points for a win and 18 for a loss it just means your mmr is lower than your current division which means you technically don't belong where you are.

DIG imadongerpie

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSaysPaperOP View Post
In reality it's just a cosmetic change. You still have elo, they just call it mmr. The league system is a layer on to, but because you get diminished LP for wins and large LP losses when you are in a division above your mmr (elo), raising your mmr is still the primary goal if you want to go up. The people stuck in bronze/silver/gold/plat 5 will still feel good about themselves even if they lose enough games that puts their mmr at a much lower level, which should lower their league. The 5 divisions will be full of people who don't deserve to be there in every tier, and they will be matched with much lower tier people because of it.
While I agree with you, you also need to factor in that the system is very beneficial towards those players as it will promote a much higher degree of player improvement and development. The idea of advancing a division or tier is more than raising a number to most players, and the aspect of being close to that goal, not even so much the ladder, but going up that tier/division is a much more appealing goal for improving play and recognizing mistakes than getting a higher number. It also doesn't allow for stagnant advancement for people at lower tiers.

DIG imadongerpie

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewtrocity View Post
I love the new system, if you are gaining 3 points for a win and 18 for a loss it just means your mmr is lower than your current division which means you technically don't belong where you are.

Its exactly what Yegg explained, its LP clamping, they don't want people advancing tiers through luck.

RockSaysPaperOP

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewtrocity View Post
Eventually the average mmr in any 1s division will be higher than the average mmr in the 5s division right above it. Think about that for a minute.

DIG imadongerpie

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSaysPaperOP View Post
Eventually the average mmr in any 1s division will be higher than the average mmr in the 5s division right above it. Think about that for a minute.

And you have proven exactly the way the system is intended to work. They want to make sure you are ready before advancing you permanent tier. They are forcing you to show, through clamping until you have proper MMR, that you are indeed skilled enough to move onto the next tier, thus allowing for people to not get lucky streaks and make it to a skill level they do not actually belong in.