@Riot @Community - Long post re concerns of new system. Perhaps over thinking.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS195480cc341bd7c7105ee

02-05-2013

Slow day at work got me thinking about the new system. Sorry it’s a long post. 5 points concerns I’m expressing, All overlap. Feel free to read the whole thing, feel free to just read the points, feel free to read the TL: DR at the bottom. Feel free to hit the go back button in your browser. Mature conversation wanted.

With the release of the ‘New ranked system’ it’s no secret that Riot dropped the ball. This isn’t a rage at riot thread though; something had to change as ELO was a ridiculously flawed system, and appeasing its millions of players was never going to be an easy task, or of we are honest, at all possible. Especially not in one go.

Perhaps Riot should have brought these changes in with Pre-season 3, with a healthy disclaimer warning players that at the launch of season 3 everything will be reset, so you will revert to the tier/division you were originally placed at the pre-season. Riot could then of used the pre-season to tweak numbers regarding LP gains and losses, the sometimes ridiculous amount of games you have to win on the bounce to get promoted, and the sometimes harshness of being demoted. Hindsight however is a wonderful thing and Riot I have everything faith are working to resolve these issues.

People have been demoted after 1 game. I myself was demoted after 5. 2 wins followed by 3 losses. MMR was matching me higher skill capped players. This was evident by my LP gains/losses if I understand the system correctly. I was receiving 22LP for a win and 19 for a loss. So after my 3rd straight loss when I was demoted I was confused. Yes losing 3 on the bounce isn’t a good thing. But seeing as I am being placed against higher skilled players I felt it was harsh. Especially as my 6th game could have been a win, and I have a 50% ratio. On the other end people winning 4/5 games on the spin in Division 1, only to have 1 loss wipe all those out, whilst I understand the reasoning behind this, I think its extreme. Then there are those who received 0LP for a win.

However I fear the worst is yet to come.

1)With the current system one cannot drop tier. Once you achieve said tier it is yours forever. I am not for or against this, I am just thinking out aloud as to what may become of this. As the season goes on the amount of people at diamond level will only increase. Same will be said for platinum. Yes people will leave platinum and go onto diamond and congratulations to them, but more people will join than leave. This I theorise will happen in all leagues. Until you have a withering bronze tier of players full of ragers, afks, trolls and toxicity. Perhaps I am wrong. Bronze will eventually become a cesspit.

2)On the same lines, players who have been carried/ had a lucky streak before the ‘New System’ who are punching above their weight in tiers will lose interest as the season goes on. Losing constantly is demoralizing. I am aware that your MMR will lower and you will be paired amongst lesser skilled players. But there is a pre-existing mind-set floating around. ‘I am higher rated than you, what do you know?’ – This will breed toxicity. Plat V players will not like being paired amongst Silver or even Bronze players. God knows what they will do when they start being beat by this players or how they will react to these players giving them advice.

3)From the other point of view, people who are trying to better themselves and rise through the tiers will meet these ‘higher tiered but uninterested’ players. It will make their experiences frustrating. The longer the season goes on the more ‘stuck in division V’ players will exist. They will appear in Promotional matches for others, games that actually mean something to people as their MMR constantly falls. I know that you meet these kind of players day in day out, and they existed in the ELO world. The problem comes with the way this system is designed; it makes you earn the promotion by making sure you didn’t just hit a lucky streak, but going the other way, it doesn’t take into account you might be getting hit by an array of trolls who are stuck in Division V of a higher tier. Demoted you and frustrating you.

4)The trouble I feel is grouping people who care with others who care. This will make games more enjoyable, more competitive and ultimately breed better players. With Solo queue and this team based game, you are ultimately as strong as your weakest link. As much as people say ‘if you are better, you will carry’ this is only true if you are playing in a game well and truly below your skill level. MMR in the long run puts you at a 50/50 w/l ratio. There are exceptions to this, namely the pro players, but play enough games you w/l will hone in on 50/50. Therefore as the season goes on, people’s w/l ratio becomes 50/50 and the system has you matched accurately with people of your ability. Trolls destroy these games, and sometimes they are evident in champ select. But the only way to avoid them is to be punished yourself. This is wrong. However it is very very difficult to carry 20% of your team. Leading to frustration.

5)With the ‘new system’ certain fixes will go a long way in helping. But I fear they are not at all implementable. For example, promotion series should involve 10 players who are all up for promotion. Bringing in a demotion series could work. It might make people care about the game they are in. Want to win. You stop playing ranked for fear of losing 2/3. You get demoted anyway because of being inactive.

TL: DR Ultimately this new system has its flaws. It is just a pretty front end to the old ELO system as much as you want to flower it up. I hypothesize things will get worse as the season progresses due to people realising they are stuck where they are. Bronze tier springs to mind especially but then players in Division V of every tier. I hope I am wrong. Until Riot comes up with a totally new revamp system it is all we have. So make the best of it. There are always normal matches and other game types. If you hate it that much there are other games.

GunflameSmurf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

My Division has like 70% people with 0 LP and like 3-7 games played.

These people don't care about ranked... am I "supposed" to compete with them? Very pathetic

IS195480cc341bd7c7105ee

02-05-2013

shamless bump to distract me from the office.

IS195480cc341bd7c7105ee

02-05-2013

Note to self: don't write essays in future.