Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ahri's lore vs. her quotes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whitakker

02-04-2013

So, when I read the lore/bio page on Ahri's profile, it states that after a time of consuming the souls (essences) of unwary men entranced by her wiles, she began to feel an attack of conscience, and sought out the Institute of War to help her correct her moral compass, so to speak. I'm paraphrasing here, so lemme just quote it:

" Feeding on their desires brought her closer to her dream, but as she took more lives, a strange sense of regret began to well within her. She had reservations about actions which never troubled her as a fox. She realized that she could not overcome the pangs of her evolving morality. In search of a solution, Ahri found the Institute of War, home of the most gifted mages on Runeterra. They offered her a chance to attain her humanity without further harm through service in the League of Legends."

"Mercy is a human luxury... and responsibility."
―Ahri

Now, with that being established, I find her quotations in-match to somewhat contradict this lore. Consider the following quotes of hers, and see if it reconciles with someone who is attempting to turn over a new leaf, morally speaking:

"They're mine now."

"It's too late for mercy."

"No one will stand in my way."

"They've exhausted their use."

Now, I don't have an issue with her other quotations; she's meant to be a flirtatious vixen, and a lot of her quotes reflect that faithfully. I just find it odd that she has such callous and cold-hearted dialogue when this is a champ who, ostensibly, is trying to exhibit more compassion and mercy--heck look at her quote in her bio: "Mercy is a human luxury--and responsibility."

Any ideas as to why there seems to be this contradiction? Or am I interpreting this all wrong?

Xanne

02-04-2013

Now that you've mentioned it, that is a bit strange. But then again, she is addressing her foes in-game.

Renekton Bot

02-04-2013

What they didn't realize is that her vicious streak would only be enhanced by repeated exposure to my incredibly manly, furious self.

We're dating, by the way. Ahri and I. It's canon.

Whitakker

02-05-2013

Quote:
Renekton Bot:
What they didn't realize is that her vicious streak would only be enhanced by repeated exposure to my incredibly manly, furious self.

We're dating, by the way. Ahri and I. It's canon.

All of my questions answered!!!

Seriously, though, I wonder if her quotes were produced before her lore was completely fleshed out, and her "rough draft" lore had her in a more ruthless light.

Podoks Monster

02-05-2013

I assumed that perhaps by becoming part of the League she was able to focus her lack of mercy on the Fields of Justice instead on helpless victims. So in game she can still be merciless. And outside of the game setting, she is more merciful.

moogle890

02-05-2013

Just cause she feels guilty doesn't mean she still can't be a flirt.

Whitakker

02-05-2013

Quote:
moogle890:
Just cause she feels guilty doesn't mean she still can't be a flirt.

Like I said, I got no problem with the flirtatious dialogue; it's a personality trait, and helps inform us as to her mentality and overall character. It's the other, more callous dialogue that gives me pause.

I guess Podoks has a good explanation there.

Criomhthann

02-06-2013

I think the most likely explanation is that her quotes were drawn from a previous lore wright up, and then the lore was changed but the quotes weren't. I can't validate that at all but it does seem likely.

Eredaar

02-06-2013

Quote:
Whitakker:
Like I said, I got no problem with the flirtatious dialogue; it's a personality trait, and helps inform us as to her mentality and overall character. It's the other, more callous dialogue that gives me pause.

I guess Podoks has a good explanation there.

I took more as the League would give her a way to get energy without killing innocent, as in, when she kills an an enemy, she takes some of their energy/soul/whatever. That would then get restored to them by the summoners

Criomhthann

02-07-2013

Story and game play segregation. While I can't comment on constructs, I am fairly certain the magics in league that make actual death for champions would also prevent things like soul/essance stealing from said champions, as that would likely entail the same thing as death.