Computer Question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trotan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this question, but here goes.

I am going to be getting a new computer soon and I have 2 main ones I am looking at, and I wasn't sure which one would be better for gaming. I mostly play league, but a few MMO's as well.

Dell Latitude E6530 I7 2.90 4GB 750GB

• 15.6 High Definition Anti-Glare LED Backlit Display
  • 3rd gen Intel Core i7 Dual Core 2.9GHz ProcessorTurbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive Disk
  • 4GB 1600MHz RAM; Supports up to 8GB
  • nVidia NVS 5200M Graphics Card with 1GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
  • 9-Cell Lithium Ion Battery; Approx. 5-7 Hours of Wireless Activity
  • Built-In Backlit Keyboard & Webcam
  • 3 Year CompleteCare Accidental Warranty Included

Dell XPS 13 ULTRABOOK I5 1.60GHZ 128GB
  • Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
  • 2nd generation Intel Core I5 Dual-Core 1.60GHz processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 2.30GHz
  • 13.3" HD Truelife WLED Display
  • Weighs 2.99 pounds
  • 128GB Solid State Drive
  • 4GB 1333MHz Ram
  • Intel Graphics 3000
  • 6-Cell Lithium Polymer battery; up to 9 hours of wireless activity
  • 3 Year Complete Care Accidental Warranty

I know the dell XPS has an integrated graphics card, and that is not good for gaming. But on the other hand, it has a solid state drive. I know that solid state drives are good, but I do not know if they are good enough to overrule the non-gaming friendly graphics card. If I get the XPS and I need more hard drive space, buying a big external drive wouldn't be that big a deal. I mostly want to know which would be better for gaming, a good graphics card or a solid state drive. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Zisi

02-04-2013

Well.. if you must get a laptop make sure you get one with a good graphics card (intel integrated is not an option).

SSD's are really good for decreasing boot and loading times of everything. My desktop here boots in about 5 seconds to desktop from power off. If you find a laptop that you like but does not have an ssd, you could buy an ssd separate and replace your existing drive with it, reinstall windows, etc.

Most laptops make it very easy to get at the harddrive, so this is really a very trivial thing to do.

Hiryuu16

02-04-2013

FOR GAMING, you want nVidia or ATI dedicated chip. Intel is passable for office use, but doesn't keep up for even mid-spec games. Solid state drives are very nice, but in LoL, you will wind up waiting for other players, anyway. For large single-player games, SSD will help, but you would miss the graphics a lot.

Also, you can swap a hard drive out for an SSD if you want to later. Graphics on a laptop are usually not upgradable or replaceable.

4Degreez

02-04-2013

>> SSD will only help the loading time, but not the graphic. GMA HD 3000 won't be able to run LOL smoothly in high setting.
>> I don't think either of these is a good fit.
1. i7 laptop is expensive, and you won't need it anyway unless you are a photo or video editor.
2. GMA HD 3000 with 13.3 inch montor doesn't seem to me enjoyable for gaming.

>> If I were you I would buy a laptop i3 or i5 laptop with a gaming graphic card else where (amazon, bestbuy, Newegg, NCIX), and installed a SSD by myself. This would cost you about the same price as an i7 laptop. Yet, I would get a good gaming laptop with a SSD.

Trotan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

Thanks for the info. It's is pretty much what I thought, but wasn't 100% sure about SSD since I haven't had one yet. I end up playing more League and less big single player games, so I think the better graphics card will be better in my situation. I have used integrated graphics before, but it is never fun.

For now I am unfortunately am stuck with a Dell laptop. Have a deal through my school, and they only have Dell computers.

Thanks again.