Yo folks.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheReptile11

02-04-2013

Yo. Resident MOBA Noob making an introduction.

Anyway, made this account a week or two ago to try it out and fell in love with Cho'Gath. After buying him after grinding up some IP with Malzahar in some bot games (who I intend to make my next purchase ) I kinda wanna know what builds and roles he best fills so I don't spend my first few matches flailing impotently about figuring out with the big bug. Wanna make myself as low of a liability as I can ahead of time ya see. :P

Advice appreciated and thanks ahead of time.

Zisi

02-04-2013

cho is kinda.... op, he can top, jungle, mid, even support :/

That said you normally find him top, jungle or mid. He is built as a blend of tank and AP depending on the situation and can go hard in either direction if needed. See online guides from solomid or mobafire for build examples. However it's important to understand that while having general build as a guide is good, you really should generally be adapting your build to meet your requirements on a game by game basis.

Malz is not the greatest mid, he is kinda a single target assassin with decent wave clearing. So kinda like leblanc, but with lower damage, no gtfo, but with wave clearing. All in all, hes vulnerable in teamfights, and fairly low utility. Have a look at Ryze, he plays in a similar way but can build very tanky while still having huge damage output.

Regardless though, playing what you enjoy is the most important.

TheReptile11

02-04-2013

Actually, that's another thing I wanna ask, I understand that certain character and build types are generally sent to a particular lane but is there any reason why? Is there some reason a bruiser type takes the top lane or is it something that just happened naturally and people just went with it?

OnyxBlade882

02-04-2013

Cho is generally a tanky AP champ. Usually, a catalyst first goes well. Depending on whether you want survivability or damage, your build can vary. For suvivability-tank builds, RoA and rylais are great. For damage, malady and any other attack speed items are great if you max E first. Generally, as long as you have a fair amount of health, you deal loads of damage as long as you get a fair amount of AP, so anyhting that gets you that is good. Cho works best top though

Zisi

02-04-2013

lol, well it's something that's always evolving. It used to be you would find bruisers bottom. It really boils down to two things:

1: Various champions are better vs certain champs than others, therefore you want to go where you have the highest chance of success. Sending a melee champ bottom lane would generally be a bad idea because you know there would be a high chance of having to deal with a ranged champ that will be able to poke you down over time.

2: Certain champs need a solo lane to do well and stay ahead on levels. Generally this is true for your tops and mids. ADC's mostly need farm to get the items they need since their damage is highly dependent on this. Therefore keeping them safe with a support and maximizing farm is a good thing.

So that's what drives it, but don't marry yourself to the meta, it's always changing. Also you will commonly see at high level play top and bot lane switching, where they will put a champ 2v1 bottom that can hold his tower while your 2v1 top tries to push them out of lane and quickly get the tower, then swap again.

Also if you know you are going to be up against someone you just cant deal with consider asking for a lane swap. (mostly applicable between top and mid).

As an example the enemy team picked yorick, I picked nidalee to "counter" him. Our mid picked something like ahri, and the enemy team picked lux. I went top expecting to find yorick, however he went mid instead because he knew that he would do better vs ahri who has no real way of sustaining herself vs yorick. At first back we laneswapped again, hoping to keep yorick with me however once they saw that they also switched at their next back. Neither of these were hard counters, but they knew that yorick had no kill potential on me or ability to push me out of lane, and so it was in their interest to laneswap.

Your desire to laneswap is counterbalanced by your loss of creep score caused by travel time to the other lane. So basically you want to coordinate such a swap at a time that you need to go back anyway. Thus minimizing the loss of cs.

ThatONeillGuy

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReptile11 View Post
Actually, that's another thing I wanna ask, I understand that certain character and build types are generally sent to a particular lane but is there any reason why? Is there some reason a bruiser type takes the top lane or is it something that just happened naturally and people just went with it?
What Zisi said. Bot lane also usually has the Support and ADC because that's where Dragon is, and Dragon control is important since it gives global gold.

The ranged vs. melee thing (+Blind) is also why Teemo is a situational counterpick Top, despite being the opposite of a Bruiser.

Obligatory gbay99 video link: A History of the League of Legends Meta.

Zisi

02-04-2013

What ONeill said as well. Forgot to mention dragon control.

------

Learning the matchups goes a long way in improving your overall gameplay. Your generally best served finding a few champions you like and getting really good at them. Personally I keep a google spreadsheet where I document each matchup I fight, and take personal notes on how it went, and my thoughts on how I could improve it. Your own experience is more important than what you find on championselect, taking a moment to think about what happened after a game can go a long way to improving your performance in future matchups.

ShrubNinja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2013

Cho was the first champion I picked up way back when I first started, and I've thoroughly enjoyed playing him the whole time since then. He's very difficult to kill, has great sustain in lane if you take him solo top, can jungle if you decide to build attack speed on him, and has great ability power damage ratios on his abilities.

If you wanna get big and be the center of the enemy team's attention, then Cho is a great choice. Just remember that you'll need some AP or AS, even when building a tank. Otherwise the enemy team will just ignore you until your team is dead.

Good luck with your noms!