Lets talk about Backdoor

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xtchizobr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Widow Maker X View Post
Twisted Fate, Pantheon, Shen

Many a time in ranked matches i have had this lineup on my team and we all ult into enemy territory to take out there ****. While using this method, it is very useful to have teleport as a summoner spell so after the deed is done you can quickly return to your base in safety.

This is often a strategy frowned upon by Riot, and many DOTA players, however i am of the opinion that it is completely viable.

In a game like this you want to do whatever it takes to win and many times players will QQ about certain champs like Yi or TF back dooring there towers while they leave them undefended.

Backdooring adds an extra element to the game when certain characters are chosen. Personally i believe that the Summoner Spell 'Teleport' is there for a reason. If you dont want to get your base attacked then at least one member of your team should have this spell. Whenever i am up against a twisted fate, or pantheon, i always make sure that someone has teleport on my team.

Sure this method is dirty and below the belt, but in war/strategy/moba games like this its not about playing 'honorable'. For instance, imagine an enemy ashe is Blue pilling back to base with 300 hp and you jump on that hoe and kill her. She will be like "......" , but what the **** do you expect, its god **** war.

Obviously that person should have been smarter about where they recalled, and obviously a team that doesn't want to get backdoored should possibly have a member on defense guarding the base, or at least have teleport for when **** gets dirty.

Had to get this off my chest, my 2 cents, - end rant

TLDR- Backdooring is a strategical element of the game, if you dont like it, take measures to counter it. Its not that hard
+1 for having the balls to tell the rotten truth.

but there's a side to every story. a decent backdooring Yi is simply impossible to counter, god help you if he's actually fed. this isn't skill. it's not superior tactics. he's just right clicking your tower with no danger to himself.

shouldn't there be a risk? shouldn't it actually be difficult to do, considering how powerful the effect?

Riot needs to shut the **** up about backdooring if they aren't going to do anything about it, but i also think it's extremely poor game design that the tactic is viable and works as advertised, but there is simply no effective counter strategy available.

i'd like to see backdooring remain viable, but i also think Riot needs to get off their new-champion-every-two-weeks lazy ass and give us a way of dealing with backdoorers.

ReadInPeace

10-26-2010

Fortify, Port, or having your own porting champ can lessen the problem...

It's a viable tactic. Annoying as hell to lose against, but it's still a totally viable strategy.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2010

The people who complain about being backdoor'd are just people who don't want to have to watch out for it. If you see your opponent is using a champion that's good at backdooring, you better be on the lookout for that tactic to get used. This is even more true if said champion is packing Teleport himself. Teleport, Fortify, and Clairvoyance in certain cases are all good spells that reduce, prevent, or forewarn you of an impending BD. Ideally you should have someone on your team with at least Fortify and Clairvoyance (not the same champion, obviously). Teleport is a more specialized choice, but it'd be good to have on a champion that could actually prevent or kill the BD-ing champion.

By this same token, it's like when people complain about how "OP" Eve is, then you find out they never by wards or oracles. Of course she's going to walk all over you: you aren't trying to counter her. Keep in mind I only use her as an example of an easily countered tactic if you choose to invest in the counter, which is much like countering a backdoor.

But I've started rambling... the point is, there are tools to defend against a backdoor, and if you don't want to use them then you can't complain when you lose.

Pissfer

Recruiter

10-26-2010

I agree with all of this.

The only thing I hate more than being called a backdoorer though, is pushing 2 minion waves to turret while there's a teamfight going on then being called a backdoorer because I wasn't at the team fight...

MeditationError

10-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtchizobr View Post
i'd like to see backdooring remain viable, but i also think Riot needs to get off their new-champion-every-two-weeks lazy ass and give us a way of dealing with backdoorers.
Yeah man! QQ!

We should be able to get there in seconds from anywhere on the map! Like Fate and Pantheon can! Or with Ez, Ashe or Gangplank's ults! Or be able to ambush back-doorers once they become predictable with stealth like teemo, twitch and eve can!

Or, we should be able to get there from anywhere on the map on any character with something like with teleport! Or be able to make the tower invulnerable like with fortify!

With all that, we should still make it balanced, so towers should be tougher if there's no creep support, and it should only be a viable option really late game when we can afford to do something about it!

Even then, I don't like surprises, so we should be able to buy something like wards so we can see people coming in time to do something about it!

It's just so unfair that one champion can focus on killing towers and win the game! Me and my 4 teammates can't possibly kill towers as fast as one guy! I like caster/hybrid heroes, so I should get some scaling off my AP to stay competitive in this regard with physical dps heroes. Also, there should be some item like lichbane that lets me turn my big bucket of AP into tower damage.

QQ!

Seriously, those riot guys are so lazy with their mere abundance of counters, and the way they keep making patches that change abilities effects on towers, and level the playing field >.<

Roddy Shmexy

10-27-2010

There is alot of talk about backdooring in the threads regarding the new evelyn, and possibly giving towers a buff so they dont suck lategame.

Dps evelyn ftw, she can dominate when played right, and can backdoor like a yi on speed. In a game the team champion lineup IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE SUMMONER SPELLS.

For real people. If your giong up against a mundo at least one person on your team should have ignite. At least one person should have teleport to stop backdoors. Against a hardcore dps? get a exhaust. Your team should coordinate your spells because ultimately that will make or break the game just as much as champ select

BuddhazBounty

10-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Widow Maker X View Post
This is very plausible, however what this requires is the placement of a ward right next to the target spot beforehand, so you have an object to teleport to. With ulting in you dont need a target and you can just drop straight onto it.

If you got the wards strategically placed this yes it could probably work better. This also allows for team coordination. Imagine if all 5 people on your team had teleport and while the enemy was elsewhere you tele'd into one of there towers and destroyed that entire lane before the enemy could react. By the time the enemy grouped you could easily destroy 2-3 buildings
OR twisted fate/pantheon could buy a ward and then ult, allwoing anyone to tele without requiring ANYTHING to be done beforehand

Phinnux

10-27-2010

I'm also of the mind that, while it can be frustrating to have it done to you, BD does work and is viable. I know, at least for me, when I've solo-queued in a normal game and we're getting pushed back into our base, sending one of our players out to attempt a backdoor (even if it is not successful) is a good way to get the other team to back off. Then you have some time to refocus and try to push back.

I think what I'm not seeing said here is that there is generally always a precursor to a backdoor attempt. If you see a wave of creeps heading towards one of your towers unchecked, and you can't account for all 5 of your opponents, you are in the process of being BD. At that point, you should TP back and hover just out of sight of your turret for a few seconds.

If you can't see the signs of a BD in the making, and it still happens, you've really no one to blame but you. It's all about lane awareness.

Just my 2 cents .

GhostDieM

10-27-2010

BD-ing is viable, strategic and easy to counter, I'll explain why:
I played a game today with Xin and Yi on an enemy team. They both tried to BD us multiple times (especially Yi) and they got 2 towers this way without getting killed. Once we knew they switched to this strategy because we were winning we compensated by having someone either stay to def the base or have someone with teleport go back immediately. This caused Yi to die 3 times (though he did get an inhib in the process) and Xin once. Meanwhile we were winning the teamfights because it was 3 vs 4 and their 2 DPS champs weren't there, so we could keep pushing until we won. There's your ability to counter BD-ing. Just be aware of what's happening and don't just focus on your 'uber leet' K/D and communicate to bring down those sneaky BD'ers. Now shut up

Demertzi

10-27-2010

haha true