The Quest for Doran's Ring

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

saladeo

03-12-2013

gguess what? Bump

Frost Archer

03-13-2013

Your bump is mightily appreciated With a new chapter.

Btw, I haven't proofread it yet. I'm moving and things have been busy around the house. >.>

Garen started fidgeting. Lux was staring at him rather intently. She barely paid any attention to her breakfast only sipping her apple cider once in a while.

“Something is different about you.” She finally decided “So how do we know we can trust this source of yours?”

Garen thought back to the kiss, and felt his face get hot. “Lux, you just need to trust me.”

“I do.” she said glaring at him. “I just don't trust this person you're telling me you met while I was asleep.” She stared at him again. Her eyes narrowed. “It's not a girl, is it?”

Garen gave an involuntary start. “Wha- how.” He sputtered. His body betrayed him. He knew himself that he was probably blushing deeply. “It's not what you think.” he finally said.

Lux rolled her eyes. “My brother's fallen in love. Again.”

Garen was still held to a sliver of doubt. Katarina was a Noxian. For all he knew, she was just toying with him. His thoughts were interrupted when a white haired woman slid in next to him.

“Good morning Crownguard.” She cooed. Sliding an arm around him, she pulled him into another kiss before he realized it. Out of the corner of his eye, Garen could see Lux miming throwing up. He quickly pulled away.

“Don't do that.” He protested.

Katarina gave him another one of her sly smiles. “Don't even pretend that you don't like it.” She whispered just loud enough for Lux to hear. She then turned to the young girl with a friendly smile. “Name's Kat. I'm just a friendly mercenary who knows what you seek.”

Lux glared at her brother, causing Katarina to laugh.

“Don't blame you brother. I figured it out on my own.” she chuckled.

“Were you the one who followed us in the Bilgewater Bazar?”

Katarina winced at the memory of being found out. Garen had taken her by surprise, she constantly told herself. It still wasn't an excuse for acting as she did. Had her father been on the scene, he definitely would have taught her a lesson. “Yea.” Her cheery tone a bit forced now.

Luckily for her, Garen came to her aid. “She knows the location of the ring.”

“Really?” Lux asked, suddenly interested. “Where?”

Katarina grinned and pulled Garen up with her. “Follow me.” she coaxed.

Katarina led the way with Garen and Lux trailing behind. They quickly left the towns and houses, finding themselves in a deep forest. They walked underneath trees in full bloom, pink petals floating in the wind. Garen noted that it was a lot like Demacia, only not quite militarized. Thinking about this made him homesick.

“Garen.” Lux whispered to him. “I have a bad feeling about our guide.” She said motioning towards Kat.

Garen shot her a look that said don't worry about it.

They walked for a couple hours when they came upon a cave formation. Green moss clung to the stone walls of the cave. Inside, there were a few holes where sunlight streamed through. Katarina took a step forward when suddenly the area was filled with a blinding light. As it faded, it left a light purple hue lingering in the air before it dissipated itself. Three people materialized from the light, guarding the entrance to the cave. They all wore masks and held a variety of weapons. The one in the middle, who seemed to be the leader, stepped forward. He was clad in blue, and his eyes glowed, even in the daylight.

“Good afternoon travellers.” He walked up to them, his posture perfect. The two katana looked eager to be drawn, but the man wielding it had absolute control over them. To his left stood a woman, glaring at them impatiently. Her eyes mad it clear that the only reason they were alive was because she had been ordered not to act. To the far right was an incredibly short man. He had a pouch slung over his back and two horn-like bumps protruded from underneath his purple hood. He wore a bored expression and paid them no attention.

The one in the centre spoke again “I am Shen, the Eye of Twilight, part of an ancient order, the KinKou.” He looked at each of them individually. “Why do you wish to pass?”

Lux stepped forward “We are honoured to be your presence, and we wish to-”

The woman lunged forward angrily. “If you wish to keep it, I recommend you hold your silver tongue.” Her green clothes flowed with the breeze, revealing two vicious scythes.

Lux quickly backed away.

“Peace Akali, Pruner of the Trees.” Shen soothed. Turning back to Lux, he bowed his head in apology. “I'm afraid that I may only let those with the purest of hearts to pass. While your devotion to learn is admirable, I fear you may not pass.” he looked back at Katarina who backed away sullenly. She didn't need to be told that she wasn't pure at the heart.

Garen suddenly understood what Katarina had meant. She didn't mean she was incapable of physically getting the ring, the problem was that she was not permitted to even attempt.

Gritting his teeth, he slowly walked up to the cave. None of the ninja moved a muscle.

“Shen. Eye of Twilight. I wish to pass in order to take Doran's ring.”

The ninja nodded. “A clear answer, and I sense only truth in your words. You may pass.

Garen held his breath as he walked into the tunnel. It seemed as if the cave were glowing. Vines and roots protruded out of the ground, and ran along the walls.

Eventually, the tunnel opened up into a grand cove. Sunlight streamed down, making the pool in the centre of the room glisten. He heard a faint sound behind him but the shadows yielded nothing. Turning back to the pool, he looked down. There, at the bottom, the ring glinted. A single curl of metal, crude almost, lay at the base, surrounded by pebbles and algea. Garen started taking off his shirt when he heard something again. Spinning around, he found himself face to face with a woman. A beautiful woman.

Her lush black hair flowed down past her shoulders, her golden eyes staring so intently as if she were staring down into his soul. Her pink lips full and curled into a seductive grin. She spoke something inaudible.

Garen found that he could no longer control his body. Against his will, he was drawn to her. He felt soft tendrils wrap around his arms and legs. It took all of his willpower to look down at the fluffy white tails rounding back behind the woman.

Her body showed no sign of clothing other than the soft tails wrapping around the two of them.

Two more curled around his waist, pulling them together until they were touching. She slowly slid her leg up against his own thigh and snaked her arm around his neck. Garen tried to chant the words he needed to bring his sword crashing down on the woman, but he found that he could not speak.

Do not fight.” Her voice washed over him like a command. He couldn't even bring himself to think about fighting. “Just accept your fate.” He immediately relaxed, his body falling limp. The tails dangled him like a fresh catch in front of the woman.

Such a beautiful face.” She whispered. “I hope that you will let me live for another century.”

She put her free hand on his chest and Garen gasped. He could feel himself dying. He could feel his life being leached from his body. His spirit was forming around her hand, glowing as a blue ball of pure energy. His life's energy. The woman leaned in and closed her eyes, to kiss him as she killed him.

The Eye of Twilight sat cross legged across from the two girls. He was not pleased. Lux had tried bending light around herself, making her invisible, but of course that did not work. Katarina had thrown a couple daggers, which turned out to be a bad idea as well. Now, Lux was tied up, her staff in the woman, Akali's, hands. Katarina was sitting too, but with several new cuts on her arms and legs. Akali's two blades glistened with fresh blood.

Shen sighed. He looked at the two and spoke.

“Your friend is in mortal danger.”

Katarina and Lux both looked up, but dared not speak.

“If you wish to save him, you must prove you are worthy.”

Katarina got up angrily, causing Akali to tense. “You can't expect us to sit here and let him die!”

The blue ninja was unfazed by her outburst. “I will let you pass if your heart is set in the right place.” he said simply.

“Screw you!” she screamed. She threw all but one of her remaining daggers and ran towards him. It seemed like the short ninja was not as lazy as he looked. He threw a single shuriken, knocking aside her daggers. He threw a second, this time directed at her, but Katarina had disappeared a puff of smoke. She reappeared behind the ninja, her final dagger held at Shen's throat. Surprise registered on the face of the other two ninja but quickly disappeared.

Katarina grinned. “Like what you see?” she boasted. “I invented that move a while back. I call it flash step.”

“No.” Shen said. “It's not called flash step.” He seemed relaxed even with the dagger at his throat, which kind of annoyed Katarina. The three ninja all vanished. The next second, Katarina found herself chained up. The chains led down to the short ninja while two scythes hovered over her abdomen, threatening to rip her in two. Shen now stood behind her, her own dagger in his hand. “It's called shunpo.” he finished.

What happened? Katarina thought. I was winning only a second ago.

Shen seemed mildly impressed. “I applaud your courage, and your talent to have learned shunpo by yourself at such a young age.” He dropped the dagger, causing it to lodge itself in the ground. “Why do you wish to pass?”

Katarina lowered her eyes. “To save Garen.”

“I sense your heart has wavered.” He said. “Although your nature would not deem you fit to pass, if letting you do so meant brining peace, I will.” He motioned for his two allies to remove their weapons. “Claim your prize.”

Katarina snatched up her dagger and ran down the corridor.

What is wrong with you Kat? She asked herself. Could you really-? She squeezed her eyes shut. Save Garen first. Contemplate about him later. She opened her eyes again. “This time will be different.” She promised herself.

I gotta say, I chuckle to myself everytime I drink apple cider. It's my new favourite gag to use XP

Frost Archer

03-15-2013

O.O A red? That's a first D:

kittytoast

03-15-2013

Quote:
he looked back at Katarina who backed away sullenly. She didn't need to be told that she wasn't pure at the heart.
I lol'd.
Gaaaaah Ahri you whoooooooore!!!!! Get your filthy tails off my husband!!

saladeo

03-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostArcher024 View Post
Shen sighed. He looked at the two and spoke.

You're friend is in mortal danger.”
Nice chapter Btw, damn ahri, just wait til akali gets level 6. Also, pruner, really? you meanie.

Frost Archer

03-16-2013

I knew it.

And also, I coulda sworn that her title was pruner of the trees D: Eh, sounds better than Fist of shadow

kittytoast

03-16-2013

I think it says in her lore that her job is to "prune the tree" so you're right. fist of shadow is her league title which i guess wouldn't really apply in this world with no league yeah?

saladeo

03-16-2013

Never readed that, to wikia i go

Edit: you are right, i dont like it tough, but in fact it aplies, it is not only for the league because even her mother was the fist of shadow.

kittytoast

03-16-2013

oooh yeah good point!

Frost Archer

03-24-2013

Sorry about no update!!! >.< Been a bit sidetracked with my other story, No Hero. Also, with so many things going on with moving and late ww1 essays, I kinda need a break >.< when I finally get things sorted out, I'll pick up on TQfDR.

Oh, and my computer got virused. Hard drive wiped and all that. The rough draft for next chapter was saved there too T_T now I'm using an iPad so don't get your hopes up on updates anytime soon! Sorry to any disappointed readers out there!