How much of a difference do runes make?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MAGllKARP

02-02-2013

I'm level 6 and wondering if I will be at a disadvantage stat-wise without them. I've been afraid of buying them because I don't know if I can move them around more than once or how multiple pages work in case I do it wrong.

Are pages comparable to Loadouts in Halo/CoD? Do you buy a rune of any of the four types and can then move it multiple times any place you want on a page and also on a second page without having to buy a second?

Thanks for your time!

Andarel

02-02-2013

Runes can make a difference, but only under very specific circumstances:

- Runes before level 20 are generally negligible. Tier 1s are cheap but kind of pointless, Tier 2s are expensive and definitely pointless. Tier 3s are good and you should buy them once you hit 20.
- Scaling runes start off negligible, but tend to be useful stats all game and are actually pretty good. Especially scaling AP and MR.
- The most helpful runes are flat armor yellows since they give a pile of damage reduction against like 3/4 of the damage sources in the game (physical enemies, minions, jungle monsters).
- You can move a rune anywhere, it's not locked onto a specific page. Once you buy 9 of a rune / 3 of a quintessence you never need to buy more of that one.

Mostly, they're strong if you're trading or getting attacked a lot, which means assassins and junglers. Otherwise you run things like flat AD for easier last-hitting.

MAGllKARP

02-02-2013

So should I just buy a bunch of tier 1 runes for levels 1-20 (because they are cheap) and then save for tier 3 runes at level 20? I play as Garen and come out to about 10-20 kills a game and 3-7 deaths a game. I spend a lot of time jungling just because I play a lot of twisted treeline.

BravoFour

02-02-2013

I'm also new but I am planning not to buy any runes until I hit level 20 and then buy the tier 3 runes with my saved up money. I think going without runes for your first 20 levels isn't that bad really.

TehomCD

02-02-2013

If you do a lot of jungling, I'd probably get tier 1 runes and then upgrade to tier 3 - jungling is pretty rune dependent for how fast and safely you can do clears, which can disproportionately shape a lot of the rest of the game.

MAGllKARP

02-02-2013

Honestly, at 15 to 30 each, it is something like 600 IP to get 20 tier 1 runes. I am just going to spend that since I already have 1800 at only level 6-ish. I doubt 600IP will make a huge difference later on since I don't really use many champions.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Supafly GLHF

02-02-2013

1. Be cautious on spending on Tier I. If you feel it is negligible or feel you only want Tier 1 for 1 specific type of play (ADC or AP) then by all means...just don't burn through all your IP unnecessarily.

2. You will usually not see jungle or a lot of people attempting to jungle until after level 20. Hopefully matchmaking is good to you.

3. Read through many of those pages for answers to numerous questions: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post29649060

wHiSkErTeMx73744

02-02-2013

Kq, you can get T1 runes as they are dirt cheap (you can buy 1-5 every game without Win of the day bonuses), but there are certain things you should consider:

- T1 runes will only be worth it until level 20.
- Runes cannot be deleted, so T1 runes will stay in your runes list forever and clutter up your list.
- They will not make a large difference. We are talking in the single digits of difference (Ever been 5 hp away from killing someone?)

That said, because the difference is so small, you need to grab ONLY the ESSENTIALS.
Armor Seals
AD Marks
If you hit level 10, maybe a movement speed Quintessence.
(these are the only ones i can think of)

These three are stats used for every champion, for and against almost every situation.
Armor protects you from AD damage, which comes from jungle monsters, minions, turrets, and AD champion damage.
AD marks allow for a larger window to last hit, and makes your basic attack harass slightly stronger (and EVERY champion uses AD for their basic attack).
Movement speed, well, everyone uses movement speed. No need to explain that.

Míley Dyrus

02-02-2013

If you're looking at cost-efficiency, runes actually do less for the their cost the higher tier they are, so if you'd like, feel free to spend around 500 IP on a full Tier 1 runepage.

Oz SammyD X

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kq Genesis View Post
Honestly, at 15 to 30 each, it is something like 600 IP to get 20 tier 1 runes. I am just going to spend that since I already have 1800 at only level 6-ish. I doubt 600IP will make a huge difference later on since I don't really use many champions.

Thanks everyone for the replies!
It will when 1 rune costs 500IP, DO NOT buy runes if you aren't lvl 20, they do absolutely nothing to help and you will never use them again once you hit lvl 20, don't waste the IP for that, it's a mistake lots of new players make.