Mid lane for a noob

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shukarhazh

02-04-2013

What can I do to survive mid lane as someone who knows little about it? All I know is some AP bursty champ typically goes there, or sometimes an AD caster, and they can roam and gank top/bot and I need to watch for that. I main the support role, and am comfortable enough top and jungle to play them, and knowing support helps my ADC game enough that I have a reasonable shot at winning lane. But mid? Put me mid and you're asking me to fail miserably. Any tips for not feeding enemy mid (or better, successfully snowballing) should I get stuck with the role?

LoudFootSteps

02-04-2013

Easiest champ to not feed is Fizz. A good Fizz can almost never be successfully ganked, and a good Fizz rarely ever dies. If you want a champ that is good for learning how to "not feed" then play Kennen. He has one good escape, however you will still need to play smart. If you screw up you will get hurt and maybe lose your lane but you most likely won't feed.

cauliflower

02-04-2013

Don't be a b****. If your opponent harasses you, harass him back. Don't show that you can be pushed around. That's my advice.

As someone who's played a lot of Kennen, I can't completely agree with LoudFoot. He does have the ability to cs pretty well, but not if he's getting heavily pushed. His escape is only good if you aren't extended past halfway, as junglers like mao will destroy you. If you get caught by a snare during lightning rush, the ability is effectively wasted.

So yeah, another word of advice, don't extend past halfway without wards.

Mich567

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cauliflower View Post
Don't be a b****. If your opponent harasses you, harass him back. Don't show that you can be pushed around. That's my advice.

As someone who's played a lot of Kennen, I can't completely agree with LoudFoot. He does have the ability to cs pretty well, but not if he's getting heavily pushed. His escape is only good if you aren't extended past halfway, as junglers like mao will destroy you. If you get caught by a snare during lightning rush, the ability is effectively wasted.

So yeah, another word of advice, don't extend past halfway without wards.
Well, the first part is completely wrong. If someone harasses you, don't turn it into a flaming war. Point out the faults in their harassment, and don't start pointing out faults in their play. If you really want to help them, tell them what they're doing wrong and how they can do it better (give tips). Never cuss/rage and be positive (NEVER SURRENDER). Harassing an opponent back is part of MY exact definition of a *****.
Now onto my tips for playing mid. You don't HAVE to play mid. You can just tell your teammates that you'll do anything but mid because you're inexperienced with it. Generally someone else will want it to. In the rare case that you do get "stuck" with it, then here are some tips... find a ranged AP (doesn't need to be completely bursty) that generally fits into the meta. You probably shouldn't play a support mid (it could work, but I wouldn't do it...). I would run Flash-Ignite (or Ignite-Flash) if you're at that summoner level. Find a fairly simple yet powerful mid (Ryze and Annie are surprisingly good choices... I would recommend them with great burst, carry potential, and farming abilities, while being not too difficult to learn and only costing 450 IP). Learn them well and follow some advice from posts above. Basically just farm and use your gold to (obviously) buy items... I usually grab Archangel's Staff first on a lot of mana-reliant AP Carries. Look for opportunities to pick up kills (e.g. on Annie, STUN BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and ignite. More important though, is winning the turret battle and learning to use your CC correctly in team fights. For example, Stun Bear and pull off your combo on a lot of enemies in a team fight with Annie. And sometimes it's ok to overextend (make sure to ward) when you get some hits on the turret, as long as you know you can escape and have your flash up. Turrets are always important.
Hope this helped... .

Best Knar Africa

02-04-2013

It depends on who you play. As a squishy, burst champion like Katarina, you want to be very careful. Many mids can counter her, such as kassadin and fizz, as well as others with hard cc and silences. She is extremely powerful though, if she gets the early game advantage. Other champions that she is good against will let you build a more offensive build and snowball even more with kills in lane phase. Other champions that you might want to play, like vladimir, are difficult, but have infinite sustain when played correctly. When you have crazy sustain, you want to be offensive and make moves. If they harass you, you can harass them back usually. But you still want to make sure you are not so confident that you die diving, or that you get shut down by pushing too much and getting ganked. With all mids, you have to be aware of their jungler. Since mid is a very important lane, the enemy jungler WILL help their mid to save the turret and shut you down. Be aware, and play smart. It is always good to play passive and keep your turret with no kills, then to play aggressive, die a lot, and lose the lane.

Just some advice from someone who plays mid a lot, hope it helps. Guides and ranked people will help you if you ask.

Shukarhazh

02-04-2013

Mich, by "harass" pretty sure cauliflower meant champion harass, not summoner harass. Lane trades.

I'm looking at Kennen and possibly Leblanc for my "don't die" mids, Kennen for the escape and inability to go OOM (OOE) for too long, and Leblanc for early-game power and dash. I should be alright with them. One more thing: when should I roam? As mid I'm sorta expected to roam and gank top/bot, though I have no freaking clue when it's good to do so...