Solving the [Solo] Rank Conundrum

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX Axis View Post
You rate according to your own opinion who the best player on the enemy team was. There's no wrong answer, if you noticed that a certain individual made a lot of plays happen, but went 0/9/7 you could still rate them as 1.
Ok, so what if the enemy player is a really, really good player (ie. Voyboy level), but he's a total dip**** (ie. those pro players who got banned)? They're clearly good players and deserving of their rating going up, but they're also *******s so people wouldn't want to give them their vote.

That's not even touching on the issue that far too many people in League are entirely convinced that KDR is the stat that matters, and that the majority of players probably won't see that "Oh, that 0/9/7 Blitz won them the game".

Your Grace

02-04-2013

Skill isn't a factor in league man you should know that by now.

Szerro

02-04-2013

Theres always that 1 support that lined up so many kills for the adc and the carry is too stupid to notice. the amumu that charges in and linda a perfect ult but gets left to die. thats who you gota rate as #1 i symathise for that person

HEX Axis

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
Ok, so what if the enemy player is a really, really good player (ie. Voyboy level), but he's a total dip**** (ie. those pro players who got banned)? They're clearly good players and deserving of their rating going up, but they're also *******s so people wouldn't want to give them their vote.

That's not even touching on the issue that far too many people in League are entirely convinced that KDR is the stat that matters, and that the majority of players probably won't see that "Oh, that 0/9/7 Blitz won them the game".
Well I guess they have even more incentive than honor to behave then. Honor is a cool program, but it doesn't really motivate people to behave. Their rating, on the other hand, might have an affect on them, wouldn't you say?

adc

02-04-2013

Quote:
Well I guess they have even more incentive than honor to behave then. Honor is a cool program, but it doesn't really motivate people to behave. Their rating, on the other hand, might have an affect on them, wouldn't you say?
Rating shouldn't be affected by anything but your skill in game. If I'm the biggest ******* in the world, I should still be able to get to 2.8k Elo if I belong to be there - whether I'm banned or not is another thing entirely.

As soon as you start giving rating to nice people, rather than good people, the rating system degrades in usefulness. I might have a friend who's really a 1500 player playing with TRM because TRM is an ass and my friend is very nice; similarly, Scarra would be matched with the nicest of nice players, even if those players aren't on the same skill level.

HEX Axis

02-04-2013

Quote:
Rating shouldn't be affected by anything but your skill in game. If I'm the biggest ******* in the world, I should still be able to get to 2.8k Elo if I belong to be there - whether I'm banned or not is another thing entirely.

As soon as you start giving rating to nice people, rather than good people, the rating system degrades in usefulness. I might have a friend who's really a 1500 player playing with TRM because TRM is an ass and my friend is very nice; similarly, Scarra would be matched with the nicest of nice players, even if those players aren't on the same skill level.
I'm not saying you rate according to the personality of a player, but subconsciously if a guy is a total ***** to everyone, and there's another guy who's really nice and both played well, you're gonna give the 1. spot to the nice guy.

VonMcgangbang

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

There needs to be a quing system where you can select the role you want to play. Most trolling is started over lanes and there is no true way to solve this and most people wont compromise its a really bad problem. i win 2 and lose 5 due to people who wont compromise its really getting annoying. also to many new people in ranked they come from normal and expect to call a lane and get it

adc

02-04-2013

Quote:
I'm not saying you rate according to the personality of a player, but subconsciously if a guy is a total ***** to everyone, and there's another guy who's really nice and both played well, you're gonna give the 1. spot to the nice guy.
And that's the problem. Whether it's done consciously or not is irrelevant - you've now ruined the rating system because you're rating based on things other than skill.

To vonmcgangbang:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2744432

HEX Axis

02-04-2013

Quote:
And that's the problem. Whether it's done consciously or not is irrelevant - you've now ruined the rating system because you're rating based on things other than skill.

To vonmcgangbang:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2744432
Well, I guess this game is full of too many kids to trust people to make responsible judgements. To me, another incentive to lessen the amount of trolls or *******s isn't a bad thing. As well as this system does not seem bad to me at all. Even if the rating system did go the wrong way and people were rating not based on skill but on personality (which I doubt it would), then finally the good guy gets some justice and the bad guy gets what he deserves.

adc

02-04-2013

Quote:
Well, I guess this game is full of too many kids to trust people to make responsible judgements. To me, another incentive to lessen the amount of trolls or *******s isn't a bad thing. As well as this system does not seem bad to me at all. Even if the rating system did go the wrong way and people were rating not based on skill but on personality (which I doubt it would), then finally the good guy gets some justice and the bad guy gets what he deserves.
So the rating system goes towards nice people being higher rated - where's your pro scene? There's no longer any way to accurately pull strong players onto pro teams except by extreme luck in solo queue - and now the game slowly dies off because there's nowhere near as much money in it for players and Riot loses publicity, etc. etc.

The rating system we use measures your ability to win games, period. Throwing in any other metric makes it far, far more difficult to discern who's actually good and who isn't.