Can gangplank still be built as a critcannon?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EbonyKnife

02-04-2013

You can always get warmogs AND crit

magePao

02-05-2013

A gangplank buff would be good, long time i donīt see him on rankeds, on competitions he disapeared completely, season 3 itemization made him even less powerfull than before.
Yes his mechanics are still strong with oranges and global ult, but his numbers are insanely low, he canīt fight jayce, khazix, darius, or any of the actual top picks on top lane.
You canīt compare his initial hp with mages initial hp, he is a melee.

Riot Uracan

Player Support Manager - Latin America

02-05-2013
9 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magePao View Post
A gangplank buff would be good, long time i donīt see him on rankeds, on competitions he disapeared completely, season 3 itemization made him even less powerfull than before.
Yes his mechanics are still strong with oranges and global ult, but his numbers are insanely low, he canīt fight jayce, khazix, darius, or any of the actual top picks on top lane.
You canīt compare his initial hp with mages initial hp, he is a melee.
*coming at it as a theorycrafter/player*

I would venture that cheaper AD + easier HP/pen is more beneficial to our dear friend GP but I don't have the mind to figure out the itemization atm. I will take a gander at HP though.

Compared originally to common mid's starting HP since the idea I was considering was to take him mid. However, lets take a look at tops! HP + HP /level:

GP 495 / +81 ( sustain )
Jayce 420 / +90 ( no sustain)
Darius 426 / +93 ( no sustain)
Olaf 441 / +93 (sustain)
Renekton 426 / +86 (sustain)
Pantheon 433 / +87 ( no sustain)
Rengar 435 / + 85 ( sustain)
Singed 405 / +82 ( sustain)
Tryndamere 461/ +98 (sustain)
Lee Sin 428 / + 85 (sustain)
Kha6 430 / +85 (sustain)

Now granted am not looking at any of the kits. Gp is limited as his poke is his main dmg tool compared to say Khazix. After that poke you got auto's and kiting.

One interesting thing is that GP has a HP advantage ( ever so slightly ) for the first few levels of the game, even against Jayce / Darius. I tend to agree that he has the most difficult time up top. So the idea is take him to a favorable match up. Match his low cooldown nuke vs larger cooldown (usually) champs or low HP/armor champs and I think he'll succeed.

He's definitely not the best pick in all situations, but I think stats is not where his weakness lies, merely the match up vs All-in'ers where he wants a prolonged poke fest or even to force off siege's. It'd be fun to see him in a poke / siege comp.

Just a few thoughts.

*coming at it as a theorycrafter/player*